Trunk door not opening :(

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
Looks like this problem is quite common. They really should have released a recall or something.

They didn’t replace anything in my car; again, probably because of the way it’s only half-stuck so nothing really got damaged.
If it opens, great! My trunk was shut for 3 weeks; there was no tension at all in the wire for the release and I could hear something attempting but failing to move in the trunk latch unit every time I tried using the fob or the manual door release to open the trunk.

I highly recommend taping up the handle though, since it's unbelievably easy for it to fall off the small screw that it's supposed to hang on.
Sponsored

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not that I intend to get stuck in the hatch but would removing the release handle solve any potential issue (hopefully I'm understanding the issue correctly)?
The problem is that the handle falling off means that you run the risk of the latch being pulled open when you shut the trunk, which can potentially break the locking mechanism. You just want to make sure the wire the handle is attached to doesn't have full tension when you're closing the trunk.

I just taped my release to hold it in place for normal use, but the handle still can be yanked if it needs to be used.

tg_mkv

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV
The problem is that the handle falling off means that you run the risk of the latch being pulled open when you shut the trunk, which can potentially break the locking mechanism. You just want to make sure the wire the handle is attached to doesn't have full tension when you're closing the trunk.

I just taped my release to hold it in place for normal use, but the handle still can be yanked if it needs to be used.
So did you just tape the handle over with some general clear tape? Thinking about doing the same to mine now.

Akashugly

First Name
Akash
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra
So my trunk doesn't open now too, I tried everything! I feel like the trunk opening button on the drivers door doesn't have that weighted click anymore too, feel like a more lighter click now. I hope I don't have to leave the car in the dealer for weeks.

nosavingthrow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2022 Mazda 3 Turbo
Yeah, doesn't look great, but I'm not usually showing off the trunk.
Could maybe just use a tiny bit of super glue to glue it down? In the extremely unlikely case you actually had to use it, should be trivial to break it free without much effort.

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Could maybe just use a tiny bit of super glue to glue it down? In the extremely unlikely case you actually had to use it, should be trivial to break it free without much effort.
The tape doesn't look great, but I would really rather avoid having superglue on the car. Tape residue is much easier to clean off.

tg_mkv

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV
The tape doesn't look great, but I would really rather avoid having superglue on the car. Tape residue is much easier to clean off.
Yeah, doesn't look great, but I'm not usually showing off the trunk.
Yeah but I guess it's worth it as long as your trunk doesn't get stuck. I was just worried the tape might ruin the finish if you needed to take it off for whatever reason

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
I've tried repeatedly to come up with that case... still nothing. I'm not all that big (certainly compared to the average American male) at 6ft 170lbs - and I'm reasonably sure I'd have to be cut into several pieces to fit back there with the hatch closed... in which case, pulling that handle is going to be #300 on the list of my concerns. :oops:

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
I've tried repeatedly to come up with that case... still nothing. I'm not all that big (certainly compared to the average American male) at 6ft 170lbs - and I'm reasonably sure I'd have to be cut into several pieces to fit back there with the hatch closed... in which case, pulling that handle is going to be #300 on the list of my concerns. :oops:
Couldn’t agree more. Simply a case of having to comply with safety requirements even when they don’t fit. Should you accidentally close your toddler in there let’s hope they can figure it out!

UCLAKoolman

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Appears that this issue happened to my (new to me) 2021 Supra 3.0. Trunk does not open, although I can hear it trying to. It does appear that the emergency release had been stuck in the trunk when closing.

Supra technician couldn’t get trunk open today and is calling additional support to work on it on Monday. I have until next Thursday to decide if I want to keep the car…

Seeing in this thread that this trunk issue can be fixed gives me hope, but they may not have it fixed by next Thurs. Who needs a trunk in a sports car anyways? /s

looking forward to being part of this community

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Appears that this issue happened to my (new to me) 2021 Supra 3.0. Trunk does not open, although I can hear it trying to. It does appear that the emergency release had been stuck in the trunk when closing.

Supra technician couldn’t get trunk open today and is calling additional support to work on it on Monday. I have until next Thursday to decide if I want to keep the car…

Seeing in this thread that this trunk issue can be fixed gives me hope, but they may not have it fixed by next Thurs. Who needs a trunk in a sports car anyways? /s

looking forward to being part of this community
It took 2-3 weeks for new parts to come in to fix the striker assemby, but once they did, it was fixed in a day under warranty. My gut says the technician will probably not be able to fix it without those parts and probably doesn't have them on hand.

Recommendation courtesy of @Loco38SUP : get this from O'Reilly's or any automotive store, and use it to hold the handle in place.

UCLAKoolman

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
It took 2-3 weeks for new parts to come in to fix the striker assemby, but once they did, it was fixed in a day under warranty. My gut says the technician will probably not be able to fix it without those parts and probably doesn't have them on hand.

Recommendation courtesy of @Loco38SUP : get this from O'Reilly's or any automotive store, and use it to hold the handle in place.
Appreciate the response and that’s great to hear. I think I’ll keep the car because it’s otherwise spotless and it’s covered under Toyota’s warranty, like you said.
Sponsored