Trying to decide on what car to buy for a daily driver (I have no kids)

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
I've owned a few lexii in my day, 4 I think. An overwhelming sense of meh.
Exactly - a reliable appliance that will never let you down!
Sponsored

supradupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra (soon)
get a is350 F-sport....great bang for your buck and built to last...

Echo419

First Name
Akuu
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV
BRZ. Reason: that low cost to own, fun factor, customization, and semi practical. The money you'll save on fuel, repair, maintenance, etc can all go to other cars, investments, mods, sound, etc.

I argue a close second is the Lexus and get an F badge on it. You've seen the comments though, overall is meh. You'll probably get bored and wished you got the BRZ or the Trans.

Awales74

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Mazda 6
No love for the MX5? I daily drove one for 6 years and had a teenager at home.

People overestimate the amount and frequency in which they carry cargo. The days of the tall station wagon need to end. I hope one day we look back at this era like the Mustang II. When you do carry cargo -- never doubt the carrying capacity of a motivated Miata driver on a sunny day. You can fit 4 tires in that car if you have to.

The ND did have transmission issues that took a couple of years to suss out. Combine this with the ND getting a very nice engine refresh (ND2) in I believe 2019. And 2019 gets you telescoping steering wheel, rear camera, and the RF (Targa) roof if you want it.

Not sure with the 6m roof is. But if it's the aftermarket hard top, i do NOT recommend for daily. That's race car stuff. It's terrible for temperature control and any attempt at a conversation is like talking in a cave, off the ocean, with the waves crashing in. If you want the hard top then go for the RF. Significantly more refined for a daily. But note -- the RF loses it's ability to open/close IF you add a roll bar. And do NOT be fooled.. the B pillar on RF is cosmetic only. The RF still has the hoops in back for a reason.

In fact, I recommend the soft top of over the aftermarket roof. It does a great job in temperature (I'm in Texas so it keeps the heat out, and I drover around during Snowmagedon so it keeps out the cold). Noise volume wise it is a touch loud over the nicer cars in your list. But hey, it's a convertible -- go do convertible things.

As far as horsepower goes, I believe the ND2 posted peak horsepower around 180. But the engine is tunable, fully supports e85 without hardware, and you can get a great header for about $600 (Goodwin Racing). Nets you about 30% gain. With a little 2300lbs car it's not bad. You are not beating Supras off the line obviously, but you do alright on highways. It's not like the old NA/NB where you felt like you were beating your dog.

Anyways, loved my MX5. Sold it because I had it for 6 years and it stopped bringing me joy. My wife HATED riding in it with lowered suspension, woofer in the passenger foot well takes up 6 inches, and me hooning it around town wasn't fun. In addition, I had lost the love for the convertible, so I didn't drop the top as much. With the top up it loses some of the charm.

I had no mechanical issues (outside of the Wilwood Big Brake kit which totally sucks and i highly recommend avoiding them like the plague) or quality issues. It was a fun ride the day I sold it.

Highly recommend the MX5.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
:pickme:

MX5’s proper chassis code is NG.. ?

:bonk:

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The modern MX5 is the ND. The community breaks the variants up by numbering them in chronological order. So the upgrades to the power train was dubbed the ND2.
Sorry, it was supposed to be a lame joke..

I fail at everything… :nono:

Xproplayer

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra White
BRZ was more fun in more corners daily, but wasn't ever comfortable or relaxing. I daily the supra and love things like the quieter ride, more tech, and mainly adaptive cruise. I only have fun for a few seconds at a time when I find cloverleafs or onramps. If you care for comfort the ND or BRZ would wear you down, but they'd probably be the most fun

supradupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra (soon)
if you get the IS make sure you get the mark Leveson stereo package....my girl just got a 22 IS and the stereo sounds night and day better the the Supra JBL

darkknight302

First Name
Dang
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premiun
I'm not sure why you would want anything outside your Supra as a DD in the summer. That is unless you're one of those people that has to have more cars.

dapimpee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Here's the short list

1) 2022 Mustang GT 6m
2) 2023 Subaru BRZ 6m (have a deposit down, but might back out)
3) 2021 Lexus IS 300 awd
4) 2010 Nissan 370Z 6m
5) 2017 Mazda MX5 hardtop 6m
6) 1987 Trans Am GTA automatic (Showroom condition)
Lexus

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm not sure why you would want anything outside your Supra as a DD in the summer. That is unless you're one of those people that has to have more cars.
Useless is my motto.. :dunno:

OP
OP
Heavy Foot

Heavy Foot

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra. 2018 Mazda Miata RF. 2020 Range Rover.
Useless is my motto.. :dunno:
I live in the snow belt, and the roads are covered in salt all winter long. My wife drives a 2020 Range Rover, and I have a truck (1993 Dakota single cab short box), but It is in showroom condition, so It doesn't get driven in the winter either. I jus need something to drive as a daily. "Grocery getter"

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Still love my MX5 as a daily. The light weight handling is a hard find on any modern day car. Throw it into corners and you’ll grin every time. Granted I’m in Florida and use it for short commutes or occasional track days.
F37E0E87-B05E-43FF-A14F-4BB1E8F519C4.jpeg

57160915-E30E-40C5-8FDC-48155307B9FC.jpeg
Sponsored