👣 Official: Toyota Announces Manual Transmission Supra!

Only interested if it comes in manual?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
If B58 gets a power bump it will have the 48V motor system. I doubt Toyota will want to add more weight to the Supra.
Really lol. Dont let a good idea stop you from adding weight. Thats the trend and there is nothing about that appearing to change. If you want a NEW light sportscar new, you need the Alpine A110 but not sold in the US market.
Everything else, Cayman, 911 etc is bloating up with each model. The Mini is just a Golf now. No real difference in size at all.
Sponsored

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Ugh this is tough i could see Toyota going either way 50/50 making a manual or staying auto. On one hand i see them as a conservative automaker who doesn’t take risks, is content staying auto as it launched originally as auto only, and the business case for not making manuals is questionable as they sell worse, not to mention no official word from Toyota yet, only rumors as it has always been. They just don’t go balls to the walls like dodge creating hellcat demons.
But on the other side i can see them strategically delaying the release of manual for 3 years after initial launch to rake in the cash of initial hype and orders of early models like launch editions, and once that plateaus or tapers off they can sell the manual to revive it and keep public interest up like a refresh. Also can help their playbook against new cars like the Z. Also, since the z4 already has a manual so the cost to engineer a stick Supra would seem minimal to me, not to mention the 86 and the GR gets a stick so why would the Supra be an exception? I personally love the auto and will keep it regardless of sticks release, but think Toyota should make the stick for those who want it…and make the targa while they’re at it

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Ugh this is tough i could see Toyota going either way 50/50 making a manual or staying auto. On one hand i see them as a conservative automaker who doesn’t take risks, is content staying auto as it launched originally as auto only, and the business case for not making manuals is questionable as they sell worse, not to mention no official word from Toyota yet, only rumors as it has always been. They just don’t go balls to the walls like dodge creating hellcat demons.
But on the other side i can see them strategically delaying the release of manual for 3 years after initial launch to rake in the cash of initial hype and orders of early models like launch editions, and once that plateaus or tapers off they can sell the manual to revive it and keep public interest up like a refresh. Also can help their playbook against new cars like the Z. Also, since the z4 already has a manual so the cost to engineer a stick Supra would seem minimal to me, not to mention the 86 and the GR gets a stick so why would the Supra be an exception? I personally love the auto and will keep it regardless of sticks release, but think Toyota should make the stick for those who want it…and make the targa while they’re at it
I think the R&D with the Z4 manual as applied to a 3.0L B58 Supra is limited to just the pedal box and extremely rudimentary stuff as far as a production vehicle would have been concerned. It has been mentioned here that Toyota engineers did have a rough prototype manual Supra just to test but it didn't seem to have been totally fleshed out initially (even though it should have been from day one).

The Z4 manual setup for production was for a 197hp 2.0L engine. The choice of a much stronger transmission had to be completely different from the Z4 manual's gearbox. Then there's the production clutch setup for a bit more than stock 3.0L B58 power figures, a different ratio in the rear differential, a very different ECU calibration, emissions testing, possibly additional crash testing (yes, more crash testing all because of a different transmission and other parts).

It's certainly possible that Toyota intentionally waited three model years to get a manual 3.0L Supra ready for global sales. It's also possible that they just didn't care all that much about the vocal demand for a manual Supra until Nissan announced an upcoming 3.0L V6 twin turbo 6-speed manual Z car.

I think it's a little of both: they realized they really did need a manual 3.0L Supra after initial launch and they also would have had insider information about Nissan fast developing a V6TT manual Z as competition.

At least they're finally doing it. It'll be the very last manual transmission Supra anyone will be able to buy brand new right until this generation ends production.

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
I wouldn’t necessarily compare the gr86 to the Supra. The Supra is made to be fast, 86 is more made to be engaging. The Supra should be compared to the GTR, which is never ever going to be manual ever again.

Stvee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2007 4Runner
I wouldn’t necessarily compare the gr86 to the Supra. The Supra is made to be fast, 86 is more made to be engaging. The Supra should be compared to the GTR, which is never ever going to be manual ever again.
Pretty sure Toyota said they were using the Cayman as a benchmark. I wouldn't compare it to a GTR at all. That's over double the MSRP and 500 lbs heavier and AWD.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Pretty sure Toyota said they were using the Cayman as a benchmark. I wouldn't compare it to a GTR at all. That's over double the MSRP and 500 lbs heavier and AWD.
The Supra is more like a string cheese where the GTR is kinda like bottle rockets, ya know?

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
Let’s keep all the manual chat in one place. Feel free to break off into a new thread if and when we get an official statement / press release from Toyota.
yup everyone keeps rehashing the same thing over and over. if the fake news is right 4/28 cant come soon enough

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
Watch the announcement be about the GR Corolla and not about a manual Supra
I hope it is because idgaf about the manual Supra. I just wanna put in a deposit for a GR Corolla which is supposed to be released October of this year if all the microchip shortage stuff doesn’t bump that back again
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.