👣 Official: Toyota Announces Manual Transmission Supra!

Only interested if it comes in manual?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
Throwing a manual at it would juice those numbers.
The math still doesn't add up. For 2021, the 2.0 has an take rate of 15% while the 3.0 makes up the remaining 85%. Toyota themselves stated that they predicted that 30% of buyers would opt for a manual.

MT with 30% applied
2.0 = 4.5%
3.0 = 25.5%

6round

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Premium
WTH. i never thought they'd do it. i hope it's not true tbh, i don't want to sell my car but might have to if this affects the price on automatics

muckduck

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 95 Supra TT, 2008 T4R
it will start rolling the vehicle for you when you begin releasing the clutch so you don’t have to time your gas and clutch release
BTW that isn't a new manual car thing. Lots of manual offroad cars can do that in the crawl gear (if you have a true truck, they got like the 4H and 4L. If you are in 4L it will crawl even if you dont time the clutch because the gearing is so aggressive.

Unless the broncos can do it as well in 4H, which I would be surprised if they did...

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
WTH. i never thought they'd do it. i hope it's not true tbh, i don't want to sell my car but might have to if this affects the price on automatics
Well, you'd better get to selling now then. Regardless of manual or not - once allocations get back to full production levels, you won't get the same used prices you can get right now with the shortages. If depreciation is the primary factor in determining whether you keep a car or not... then I would recommend getting a Corolla instead.

On the other hand... if driving enjoyment is the most important factor - then getting comfortable with significant depreciation losses is pretty much a prerequisite. :dunno:

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
BTW that isn't a new manual car thing. Lots of manual offroad cars can do that in the crawl gear (if you have a true truck, they got like the 4H and 4L. If you are in 4L it will crawl even if you dont time the clutch because the gearing is so aggressive.

Unless the broncos can do it as well in 4H, which I would be surprised if they did...
This is in all gears not just the crawl gear.

satx_phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Ford Fiesta; BMW M3 CS (G80) Waitlist
The math still doesn't add up. For 2021, the 2.0 has an take rate of 15% while the 3.0 makes up the remaining 85%. Toyota themselves stated that they predicted that 30% of buyers would opt for a manual.

MT with 30% applied
2.0 = 4.5%
3.0 = 25.5%
Not sure that's how that works, but that's not my field. I would suspect, however, that if Toyota offered the manual in the 2.0 (along with the existing AT option), and not in the 3.0, that the numbers of 2.0's sold vs. 3.0's would be significantly different.

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
If they only make the manual for the 2.0, it doesn’t count ?

REDL1NE

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1997 Supra
Surely they would not offer the manual for the 2.0 and not the 3.0. From a company that seems decently logical, Id have a hard time wrapping my head around that.

satx_phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Surely they would not offer the manual for the 2.0 and not the 3.0. From a company that seems decently logical, Id have a hard time wrapping my head around that.
If a company wanted to convert more potential GR86 buyers to the more expensive step-up 2.0 Supra model. I don't have insight into Toyota's market research or internal business details, but there could be a variety of scenarios where this is a desirable business decision for them. For example, what if there are budgetary constraints applied to the Supra program and the product managers only have enough to money to pay for tuning/development work on one version while doing all the regular lifecycle work I assume they have to do? But it's all guessing/rumor until Toyota themselves actually make an announcement.

REDL1NE

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1997 Supra
If a company wanted to convert more potential GR86 buyers to the more expensive step-up 2.0 Supra model. I don't have insight into Toyota's market research, but there could be a variety of scenarios where this is a desirable business decision for them. But it's all guessing/rumor until Toyota themselves actually make an announcement.
Yea, we will see. I think one of the GR86 selling points was the price point, bumping up the new tier may not appeal to those specific owners, but you can finance things for years now so who knows.

I would be very surprised if they offered the MT in the 2.0 only. All rumors at this time, that said some of the recent rumors are educated it seems. I work for Toyota myself and have heard this inside a bit.

satx_phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yea, we will see. I think one of the GR86 selling points was the price point, bumping up the new tier may not appeal to those specific owners, but you can finance things for years now so who knows.

I would be very surprised if they offered the MT in the 2.0 only. All rumors at this time, that said some of the recent rumors are educated it seems. I work for Toyota myself and have heard this inside a bit.
My bad. I edited my reply while you were composing yours. The GR86 was just one example of a possible reason. I don't think that would apply to every potential GR86 customer, but perhaps a portion who are on the fence with the MT being a differentiator.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.