👣 Official: Toyota Announces Manual Transmission Supra!

Only interested if it comes in manual?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quinn

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Cu A91MT, 02 Spec E46, 04 Sequoia
BMW and Porsche just love conservative CHP numbers that coincidentally wind up about WHP
Sponsored

Travelingsoldier

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2001 2.5RS, 2003 WRX, 2005 STI, 2012 WRX, 2017 Hobie Tandem Island
It would be at the crank.

Cars are advertised at their crank horsepower. Not at the wheels.
Bmw are advertised at the wheels. ? Not a single Supra (2 port or 6 port) have not dyno lower than the advertised hp

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
I do not believe this is accurate. How would stock runs on dyno be 380-385 then?
All horsepower/torque are measured at the crank with the engine out of the car in a controlled room with certain humidity / temperature / pressure.

Body dynamometers come in different types, and depending on the information put into them - numbers can be inflated/exaggerated.

I remember when the Z06 came out and it was a big deal that they started validating power using SAE validation schemes.

https://www.sae.org/certifiedpower/data/

Dyno videos that you see online don't matter much - what they are great for is measure the delta value in power from before/after modifications and not having to test on the street when tuning an engine.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020-toyota-supra-dyno-test/

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
Bmw are advertised at the wheels. ? Not a single Supra (2 port or 6 port) have not dyno lower than the advertised hp
Incorrect. All cars have power advertised at the crank.

It may be the case that the B58 variant in the Supra is overrated from the factory.

Travelingsoldier

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2001 2.5RS, 2003 WRX, 2005 STI, 2012 WRX, 2017 Hobie Tandem Island
Incorrect. All cars have power advertised at the crank.

It may be the case that the B58 variant in the Supra is overrated from the factory.
Again, Supras are advertised at the wheels. ?

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2016 Yamaha R1
All horsepower/torque are measured at the crank with the engine out of the car in a controlled room with certain humidity / temperature / pressure.

Body dynamometers come in different types, and depending on the information put into them - numbers can be inflated/exaggerated.

I remember when the Z06 came out and it was a big deal that they started validating power using SAE validation schemes.

https://www.sae.org/certifiedpower/data/

Dyno videos that you see online don't matter much - what they are great for is measure the delta value in power from before/after modifications and not having to test on the street when tuning an engine.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020-toyota-supra-dyno-test/
Found the BMW virgin.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
In Germany/Europe, it is mandated that the rated power output (at the crank) is a minimum.

Hence why so many GER/EU cars make more than advertised (BMW and Porsche are notorious)

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
Wonder if the manual will have any effect on the resale value of the ZF8 MKV's.
Among the whining 'purists' maybe. There are enough auto-ZF8's to show how popular that option is. I can see a manual getting a premium but thats for a small circle of needy 'must be connected' to my car 'enthusiasts' lol. Really who cares....drive what you like. The guy behind you with a manual doesnt matter lol :)

Lets put it this way - PDK equipped Porsche's are holding value rather well and especially those in the GT3 and GT3RS ranges. Manuals are nice but hardly drivining the market. Same for the Corvette and its not ever going to be offered with manual. Chevrolet cannot build them fast enough eh? Prices are strong as well. The louder the 'purists' scream the more I laugh. Most of the sportscar market has moved on...........................

Status
Not open for further replies.