👣 Official: Toyota Announces Manual Transmission Supra!

Only interested if it comes in manual?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mimosa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
-
Can you name a performance/enthusiast car where the manual variant is less valuable/less desirable than the auto? I can't...
718 GT4. Used ones with the DCT are more expensive than an equally specced manual version. They are rarer because the majority of buyers specced them with the sluggish manual that everyone talks shit about.

With older cars manuals offered superior performance on top of the whole user engagement thing. But they are skyrocketing in price because the kids back then now have money and now we've got social media. Can't get that clout on insta if you have an automatic.

Now that autos are the go to for performance I don't know what the landscape will look like in the future. Maybe they'll still be cheaper or maybe they won't. If less manuals are made then maybe they'll still have that premium price tag for collectors.

I'm shopping for a Mitsubishi Starion / Chrysler Conquest and the clout tax for manuals is so stupid. Makes more sense to get the automatic variant and slap a manual in there myself. It seems like most enthusiasts who want to drive these cars are doing that. Buying these classics with automatics and swapping them out for manuals.

Last edited:

Kiske

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1988 FC3S, 2015 Evo X FE, 2018 tS, 2021 A90 3.0
My dealer was still clueless when I called this afternoon. :/ Even said the next one would just be a facelift! lol

I'm already trading up. Right not I'm torn between going Tungsten or Pearl White. Either with the with Red int unless a different special edition is available other than the rumored tan interior one. Also time to pony up onto the mod train.

SupraNews

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 XSE Hatch, 22 3.0 Prem, Chevy Z06(waiting list)
718 GT4. Used ones with the DCT are more expensive than an equally specced manual version. They are rarer because the majority of buyers specced them with the sluggish manual that everyone talks shit about.

With older cars manuals offered superior performance on top of the whole user engagement thing. But they are skyrocketing in price because the kids back then now have money and now we've got social media. Can't get that clout on insta if you have an automatic.

Now that autos are the go to for performance I don't know what the landscape will look like in the future. Maybe they'll still be cheaper or maybe they won't. If less manuals are made then maybe they'll still have that premium price tag for collectors.

I'm shopping for a Mitsubishi Starion / Chrysler Conquest and the clout tax for manuals is so stupid. Makes more sense to get the automatic variant and slap a manual in there myself. It seems like most enthusiasts who want to drive these cars are doing that. Buying these classics with automatics and swapping them out for manuals.
A well versed statement

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
Stopped by a Toyota dealership because my friend is looking at the M2CS. Dude said they’re marking the GR Corolla up by 30k. ☠
Is your friend also considering Emiras, GT4s, or 911s? The only M2CSes I've seen for sale were around $100k.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
You know, with a manual 3.0 MKV actually being a thing now and available in the near future I'd have thought the hating on the very concept of it would be put to rest.

The excellent ZF8 automatic transmission version is not going anywhere and might even be easier to obtain new and used for those who want them. It was never going anywhere on the order/option sheets.

In a handful of years it won't just be manual transmissions that will be going but internal combustion engines AND automatic transmissions and DCTs as we currently know them. Last time I checked production EVs also lack a third pedal so there isn't going to be a whole lot of change in the driving experience from driving an automatic anyway.

...That is, unless the feeling of shifting gears with paddles would be missed in which case I'd say both the auto-only and manual-only camps actually do have something in common after all.

I'm glad Toyota got a manual for the B58, finally. I'm also glad the same car also has one of the best automatic transmissions made today.

Most future cars won't have transmissions or engine noise anyway so it's nice to be able to choose the transmissions that offer maximum engagement and fun or maximum speed and lap times respectively while such a choice is still a thing at all.

Having the option for one or the other transmission in a car like this is VERY good.

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

obito

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Oh you know what I was just wrong. I think he mentioned M2C specifically. I never saw the link for the car. Gonna be honest with you I didn’t know there were 2 separate trims for that car
Lol no worries, if there was an M2CS for $66k, buyers would've been circling like sharks.

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
General take on the manual:
Cool its there, for me it doesn't enhance the feel as much as it would in an older car to justify the inevitable markup for it.

Also, for tracking, hills, and the city traffic I need to deal with, the auto is better.

ToyoBMW

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE, 2004 S2000, 1999 Carrera
They should make the Supra in North America Manual only for 2023 onward. Follow the GR Corolla lead. At least our Auto cars will hold value with lower numbers. There are plenty on the used market for anyone that wants an Auto

Status
Not open for further replies.