šŸ‘£ Official: Toyota Announces Manual Transmission Supra!

Only interested if it comes in manual?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SupraBC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 2.0
Yeah exactly. But you know the type.

"an enthusiast only drives manual"

That's why the ultimate enthusiast companies like Ferrari, McLaren, Lamborghini, etc don't even offer them anymore. Enthusiasts spend hundreds of thousands on those cars.

It's just plain ignorant to say that.

We're all enthusiasts, regardless if we shift with a lever, or a paddle.
You mean like this guy?
Yes, they do exist and he was referring to the Supra. Hard to keep a straight face when someone asks you this. They don't even understand how automatics work nowadays :rofl:

Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 10.19.33 AM.png
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
One thing I will say, if you buy the manual, keep the nannies on for a bit until you're used to it, because with peak torque at 1600 RPM you pop that clutch a little too fast, you'll end up on the salvage registry page quicker than a Mustang in a crowd.
So take it easy in the beginning lol.

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
One thing I will say, if you buy the manual, keep the nannies on for a bit until you're used to it, because with peak torque at 1600 RPM you pop that clutch a little too fast, you'll end up on the salvage registry page quicker than a Mustang in a crowd.
So take it easy in the beginning lol.
Unless they do a torque limiter in the programming lol

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Peak torque as early as 1600RPM is great. A BPU'd 2JZ-GTE with the sequential twins develops its peak torque at only 1800RPM (with GT28 hybrids perhaps 200rpm later with higher max boost potential being the tradeoff) before the transition to the second turbo and those engines have had manuals behind them for years. The same engine with the later VVT-i cylinder head mated to a modern single turbo between 52mm-62mm with a quick spool valve at the flange does much the same.

I don't think very early peak torque figures in manual or auto performance cars are new phenomenon just as some people driving their cars without sufficient care to not unexpectedly go sideways and hit a wall isn't a new phenomenon. Some people drive high powered cars like morons and others don't regardless of what kind of transmission the vehicles have.

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
Well this and the GR Corolla
And GR86!

Honestly, I doubt toyota built a new MT from the ground up for the supra (if they did, huge kudos). But the b58 is already paired with the MT in several other BMW models, my guess is they took that MT and maybe made some modifications or made it more reliable? Like you take pants to a tailor to get them changed to fit you. The tailor didn't create the pants from scratch but they did modify it.
This is not true. BMW only had the B58 pair to the manual on OLDER B58 engines. AFAIK I was told that the updated B58's transmission housing has changed so none of BMW's manuals are able to fit anymore. The GR Supra (be it with the bespoke 2020 engine, or the similar, but still unique 2021 engine) is considered equipped with a newer B58.

Hence why I strongly believe that this is an all-Toyota effort.

Jeez, you went full MAGA on a Supra issue. Did you ever figure that perhaps to some, rowing their own gears is what gives life to a sports car experience, and their decision is independent of what the media pushes? Just because some enthusiasts donā€™t share the same opinion as you, that doesnā€™t make them a sheep. What IS pathetic is people like you who are so offended by other peopleā€™s opinion. Sorry, orange man, that saying goes something like opinions are like buttholes - everyone has one.
MAGA and orange man are pretty based tho. Not going to go into politics any further lol.

Last edited:

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi, Jeep
I don't get it man.. I'm a hardcore MT driver and if driving dynamics is what someone is after on the streets (as they claim), I would not want an MT on the 3.0L when there is a 2.0L. You want to wring out the engine without going excessive illegal speeds.. of course one could buy the GR86 and go even faster than the MT 3.0L in slow motion like a bionic woman.. :crazy:
I don't understand that way of thinking. You can have tons of fun in a manual transmission car that has a lot of power. You don't need to run redline in every gear to have a good time driving a MT car. Most of my manual transmission cars have been behind powerful engines and they are just as much fun at part throttle as they are at WOT. Like most modern turbo cars, these Supras make tons of low end torque. Yes, even the 2.0L versions. And I'd even go so far as to argue that the 2.0L car isn't going to be as much fun to wring out with the relatively low redline and the way the power tapers off at higher RPMs.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I don't understand that way of thinking. You can have tons of fun in a manual transmission car that has a lot of power. You don't need to run redline in every gear to have a good time driving a MT car. Most of my manual transmission cars have been behind powerful engines and they are just as much fun at part throttle as they are at WOT. Like most modern turbo cars, these Supras make tons of low end torque. Yes, even the 2.0L versions. And I'd even go so far as to argue that the 2.0L car isn't going to be as much fun to wring out with the relatively low redline and the way the power tapers off at higher RPMs.
Thereā€™s some truth to itā€™s more fun driving a slower car fast vs fast car slow.. but as you said, wtf do I know?

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi, Jeep
Thereā€™s some truth to itā€™s more fun driving a slower car fast vs fast car slow.. but as you said, wtf do I know?
Sure, but I think that's what people say when they are driving a car at the limit. On the streets, you can't really drive any car anywhere near the limit unless it's an extremely slow and low powered car. I haven't driven the 2.0L Supra, but I would think it's still fast enough that you can't really go full send all the time on the streets without getting yourself into trouble with the law.

That said, I used to have a manual transmission Mustang that had about 500 HP and it was really fun to short shift it on the street. I'd normally run it maybe 70% throttle and then taper off on the throttle before shifting at 3,000 rpm. If I wanted to let it rip, I'd just shift at higher rpm. Either way was still a ton of fun.

Davidpingu

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FK8 Civic Type R, Mercedes GLC
If you were a Honda fan boy though it were all about them VTEC yoz so you had to ring them out.
Different characteristics in different cars and different likes. Iā€™ve never quite gelled with a car like I did with my DC5 fitted with the hybrid racing billet shifter and cables.
Boost is also a lot of fun and sort of spoils you silly with the instant torque but I do miss the drama of dropping it down and letting them sing. Itā€™s still an instantly recognisable sound when I hear VTEC somewhere in the distance. Ultimately it just couldnā€™t keep up with the advancement of more modern boosted hot hatches. Hell it was fun while it lasted though.
ā€œWhatā€™s in that thing?!ā€
A 2 litre
ā€œ2 litre turbo?!!ā€
Nope. No turbo. JUST a 2 litre NA

flightz71

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 BMW 535i / 2016 Porsche Cayman
And GR86!

This is not true. BMW only had the B58 pair to the manual on OLDER B58 engines. AFAIK I was told that the updated B58's transmission housing has changed so none of BMW's manuals are able to fit anymore. The GR Supra (be it with the bespoke 2020 engine, or the similar, but still unique 2021 engine) is considered equipped with a newer B58.

Hence why I strongly believe that this is an all-Toyota effort.

MAGA and orange man are pretty based tho. Not going to go into politics any further lol.
This is true - I went and asked Art @ EAG why the 6-spd from F30 chassis 340i wasnā€™t used and he mentioned to me that the starter wouldnā€™t clear the A90 chassis so they had to use a transmission from a 520D but the gear ratios were all wonky since it was geared for a low power diesel. That said, itā€™s still likely Toyota just modified an existing BMW 6-spd for supply chain simplicity at Magna Steyr or sourced a custom Getrag unit like the a80 days.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149355

2023-supra-MT.png

4/4 - A manual transmission is confirmed for 2023, for North America the model for for 6MT is DB0D0M. The 6MT WILL BE AVAILABLE AS THE A91 EDITION or a standard 3.0 premium.

Available Colours;

0D01 - Absolute Zero
0D04 - Nocturnal
0D14 - Sparkling Copper Gray
0D05 Renaussance Red 2.0
0D13 - Portimao Blue
0D06 - Nitro Yellow
0D12 - Matte White A91 ONLY

2.0 only available in 0D01, 0D04, 0D05

A91 Edition Available in 0D12 or 0D14. It appears the A91 will be ONLY 6MT

The package "suffix" for the A91 Edition reads, "A91-MT Edition / Leather, Cognac Tan". So we can assume the interior will be Tan or have Tan accents.

4/18 - the model and package codes were removed from the portal. I guess we were not supposed to see...
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.