2020 Supra (A90) Reviews Compilation!

Pheonix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Porsche Cayman GT4 6MT (track car), 2011 BMW 128i 6MT (daily), patiently waiting for 2020 Supra 6MT
It does understeer. Unless you really toss it in it does not easily oversteer.
Yeah it does. But it's easily addressable. Negative camber in the front as much as possible, front bar on full soft, rear bar on full stiff (thank god for the fully adjustable suspension on the GT4), wider front tires while keeping the 295 rear tire. Best option would be a 265 front/295 rear. Idk what tires the 718 comes with however.
Sponsored

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
Is that just a base 718 Cayman? Why didn't they use a GTS to make it more fair? The Supra and M2 are way faster cars than a base Cayman.
Yes it is. Right.., let's compare a $50k & $59k car to one that is $80k. :rolleyes: o_O

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Is that just a base 718 Cayman? Why didn't they use a GTS to make it more fair? The Supra and M2 are way faster cars than a base Cayman.
I think it was to form their conclusion that the Supra is competitive in every category for much less money. The GTS comparison (and the official ring time) needs to come out soon

Supra21

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Mercedes Benz C250
I would have thought so myself...but the numbers put the Supra only with Decimels of beating a base Cayman in the review...not sure how it'll stack up against the GTS being that previous Car and Driver articles placed the GTS at a surprising 0-60 of 3.6 seconds.

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase
I would have thought so myself...but the numbers put the Supra only with Decimels of beating a base Cayman in the review...not sure how it'll stack up against the GTS being that previous Car and Driver articles placed the GTS at a surprising 0-60 of 3.6 seconds.
I will say, the only advantage the S has is more power over the base Cayman with the right options.

Supra21

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Mercedes Benz C250
I will say, the only advantage the S has is more power over the base Cayman with the right options.
And that would put the outright numbers ahead of the Supra by just going up to the S trim
The Supra slightly beat the base Cayman...the slight improvements in Cayman numbers by upgrading to the S model would put it on par with the Supra.
Hence, with a little more out of the GTS, it should be slightly above the Supra in regards to performance numbers.

Pheonix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Porsche Cayman GT4 6MT (track car), 2011 BMW 128i 6MT (daily), patiently waiting for 2020 Supra 6MT
Yes it is. Right.., let's compare a $50k & $59k car to one that is $80k. :rolleyes: o_O
Pretty sure they benchmarked it against the top of the line GTS model though and not the base when they were designing it. Unless they only targeted the S model. Idk.

Also MT is comparing a $50k car against more expensive ones. And other future comparisons as well. Be oblivious of them not me lol.

Pheonix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I think it was to form their conclusion that the Supra is competitive in every category for much less money. The GTS comparison (and the official ring time) needs to come out soon
Yeah the Supra is definitely bang for your buck. A better drivers car than a BMW M2...that's saying a lot.

Pheonix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I guess they are saving the high performance/TRD version for that then.

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
Pretty sure they benchmarked it against the top of the line GTS model though and not the base when they were designing it.
I'm pretty sure Toyota also tested the GTS, but let's not forget that more tirm levels are coming. The track version with the 385hp from the B58B30O1 as hinted by A70, Guff, and bimmerpost insider. Not to mention the GRMN model that Tada has said is in the pipelines.

Pheonix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm pretty sure they also tested it against the GTS, but let's not forget that more tirm levels are coming. The track version with the 385hp from the B58B30O1 as hinted by A70, Guff, and bimmerpost insider. Not to mention the GRMN model that Tada has said is in the pipelines.
So there is gonna be a difference between the track version and the GRMN (god that name sounds so weird lol...it should be TRD)? That track version looks like it's "officially" matching the Z4's hp numbers. But what else would separate that and the hotter version?

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
So there is gonna be a difference between the track version and the GRMN (god that name sounds so weird lol...it should be TRD)? That track version looks like it's "officially" matching the Z4's hp numbers. But what else would separate that and the hotter version?
Idk, but here is all the threads on the matter.

Track/380hp+
https://www.supramkv.com/threads/bmw-insider-385-hp-supra-model-is-coming.1785/
https://www.supramkv.com/threads/toyota-supra-will-come-in-base-and-track-form.1787/

GRMN
https://www.supramkv.com/threads/bestcar-toyota-supra-grmn-will-appear-in-2021.1798/
https://www.supramkv.com/threads/toyota-preparing-hotter-supra-grmn-says-chief-engineer.1319/

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
You can just hear the grin on his face when he's driving. Cant take this wait any longer.

Supra21

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Mercedes Benz C250
I guess they are saving the high performance/TRD version for that then.
I'd assume so...there's a Japanese video online that compares the Supra, M2, and 718 Cayman GTS. By the end it was determined that the GTS came first and then the Supra...followed by the M2.
I saw a comment by Tara saying that it should be benchmarked against the S rather than the GTS.
In another review (from Portugal) the secondary engineer was being interviewed...when asked about the Cayman benchmark, he said the came close.
Numbers released by Toyota and Porsche are one thing and actual drives are another...Car and Driver rates the Supra 0-60 at a 3.9 and an old review of the Cayman S placed it at 3.6. So who knows what the GTS is doing.
I for one am very torn and cross shopping the two...I'd love to pick up a used manual GTS but the engine in the Supra seems so much more torquey and charismatic.
Sponsored