Loui

First Name
Loui
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Hello there,

After 1.5 years of not driving my Supra (for work related reason and because I live in MT) it is time to sell it.
Upon attempting to start it, I discovered the battery is dead. My first question is how do I replace the battery? I looked through the manual and I'm not able to find where the battery is located. I called the local Toyota dealer (in MT) and they are the were very useless--they basically asked me to tow the car to the dealership :rolleyes:.

Any help or additional steps needed to get this car moving would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Loui

First Name
Loui
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Right after posting this I realized that the battery is in the back on the car...
I'll order the battery and I think I read somewhere that I need to reset something so the ECU accepts the new battery, right?

SlowFreddy

First Name
Freddy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra GTS 6MT
Right after posting this I realized that the battery is in the back on the car...
I'll order the battery and I think I read somewhere that I need to reset something so the ECU accepts the new battery, right?
Not done this myself as I only just got my car, but I've read you will need BimmerCode to code the Battery Capacity & Battery Type, then use BimmerLink to actually register the new battery after coding. Now I am not sure if you need to use BimmerCode if you are replacing the OEM battery with another OEM battery (like for like), you may be able to get away with just using BummerLink (lol) to register the new battery. Maybe more experienced members can chime in with their 2 cents.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
it's under the board in the trunk. You will need to crawl in there to use the emergency trunk release to open the trunk since the battery is dead.

If you replace the battery with the same specs, no programming neccessary.

SlowFreddy

First Name
Freddy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra GTS 6MT
it's under the board in the trunk. You will need to crawl in there to use the emergency trunk release to open the trunk since the battery is dead.

If you replace the battery with the same specs, no programming neccessary.
I am sure you still need to register the battery (by the way, are you related to Valerie Bertinelli?)

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
Hmm.. we don't have an emergency trunk release - at least not the handle like the US models have - I wonder how we might go about navigating a dead battery.. or is this a non-issue?

OP
OP

Loui

First Name
Loui
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Thanks for all the feedback🙏.

I finally got the trunk open (thx for skiing poles!) and I was able to access the battery (picture attached).

Axix23, I have a battery tender and I did try recharging it for a few days (using the terminals under the hood). A month ago it was -47F in Bozeman, MT and I believe that low of a temp killed the battery...oh well.

I have a few lingering questions:

1. If I order order a replacement battery with similar specs do I need to reprogram?
2. If I do not reprogram do I need to worry about damaging the new battery?
3. What is the worst that can happen?

Thx everyone.

image_67225601 (Large).JPG

ToyoBMW

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE, 2004 S2000, 1999 Carrera
Is the battery under warranty?

Phantomx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium
From what I read on here the common answer is yes you should reprogram it otherwise the car may potentially overcharge it seems to be the consensus. You can get an OBDII adapter about $80 and the bimmerlink software, $40, and just reset it yourself, then you can reset all your service intervals without the dealer having to do it. Oh and you can then use bimmercode to make some cool changes to the system. This is independant of having or not having an unlocked DME

Silverbmpra

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 toyota supra
If you replace with exact new one. You don't need to program it but you will need to register (2 different things). Programing sets up the type of battery you have. Registering it just let's the car know is a new battery and it won't overcharge it. Bmw battery recharge system is smart and complicated, but you have to register new batteries no matter what to let the car know how much to charge it.

OP
OP

Loui

First Name
Loui
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Is there anyone willing to sell me an ODBLink so I can register this new battery?
I ordered an ODBLink CX from Amazon two weeks ago and the delivery date is still pending, ugh!

calmeda1

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Is there anyone willing to sell me an ODBLink so I can register this new battery?
I ordered an ODBLink CX from Amazon two weeks ago and the delivery date is still pending, ugh!
Does it have prime shipping? I've had situations where it says "one-day shipping", and they don't send anything in over a week. I usually end up canceling and reordering, and BAM it's here next day. Since you're only going to use it one time, you can program the battery and return the OBDLink to Amazon
Sponsored