2023 Toyota GR Supra Manual Review Thread!!!

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi, Jeep
My best friend works for Rivian. I borrow her R1T often. I had an M3P. It was fantastic. I like drag racing, so I build drag racing cars. I also have other cars. I've been drag racing for 20 years, and I still love it. I also love that EVs are fast. I don't care about winning as much as I care about the atmosphere at the track, the friendship you make there, hauling cars across the country with friends you make along the way, etc. It's a fantastic hobby, and I don't think I'll ever give it up.

I've never lost a race and been disappointed, only try to learn how to get better. It's no different than working on your golf shot, shooting a basketball, trying to advance your career and move up the old corporate ladder, or getting better at crocheting or making jams.

I'm really happy that you like tearing up mountain canyons. I used to have motorcycles for those kinds of trips. It says you have a Jeep in your profile, so I assume you like offroading. I have quads and snowmobiles for that, though I am in the market for a solid off-road rig.

That's the thing about life. Different people like different things. To you, sports cars are for canyons. To me it's about going straight for 9 seconds, waiting to see what blows up next. Pushing platforms and finding and reaching limits. Blow something up, buy another and try again. It's fun. It's what drag racers do.

You 'spirited driver' types don't crack me, you make me smile. Variety is what makes us all interesting.

Edit: The whole point of my first post (replying to you saying there are two types of people, those who love manuals, and those that don't understand a connection with a machine) was just to point out that everyone likes different things. It's not that black and white.
I'm guessing I have a few years on you, so I'll tell you this---i started drag racing in 1987 with my 5.0 Mustang. I was also a stupid kid who street raced all the time. Today, I don't street race and I only occasionally go to the track. Englishtown shut down, so I'll occasionally go to Atco now. In fact, I'll be there this weekend for Waterfest (big VW/Audi meet &show). I grew up racing manual transmission cars and I've never NOT owned at least one since my first one in 1987.

Over the years, I grew to love sports cars for more than just a quarter mile at a time. Mountain driving is fantastic. It can also be a lot of fun to do a hard pull on a highway. It became more about the drive than anything else for me. I'm not trying to look down on anyone when I say this, but I do almost feel sorry for people who solely care about 0-60 or 1/4 mile performance when there's so much more to a sports car and driving. That's all I'm really trying to convey.

So when someone wonders why anyone would want a manual transmission Supra when the automatic car is faster and gets better fuel economy, I can only feel that they just don't understand and probably never will. And that's fine. I think if I still had my 18-year-old brain, I might be thinking the same way.

BTW, my Jeep is a Grand Cherokee. It doesn't see much off-road, although it is a Trailhawk model. I use it mainly as a winter vehicle and to be able to tow snowmobile and jet skis and ski trips, those kind of things.
Sponsored

GRSupraguy

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91-MT Supra, Jaguar F-Type R
Oh the only concern I have for the MT is the lack of exhaust burbles. I need them burbles damn it.
I agree with you! Itā€™s all part of what makes a great car..the sounds!

spectre

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
981 Boxster GTS, LX570
Haha, yeah, 4.4 sec is still respectable(?), but very soon you'll have EV Kia's blowing past a 4.4 sec Supra so it's not something to be comfortable with. It's a real tricky time for ICE sports cars as EV's are going to be so much faster roaming the streets.

Which kind of leads me to another perspective.. how about forgetting the sprints from zero since EV's are going to be faster anyway and just get a GR86 MT for half the price.. :dunno: and enjoy the GT style driving while keeping your ZF8 Supra.
Iā€™m not the one concerned with the 0-60. The car is plenty quick regardless of gearbox. All I care about is the joy of driving.

rotary heart

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra A91 Edition, 2004 IS 300
I love the auto guys coming in here to tell the manual guys that what they want is wrong. Itā€™s almost as if different people have different preferences. Why donā€™t they just make them all 1 color while weā€™re at it? Let people buy and enjoy what they want.

I honestly didnā€™t even pay much attention to the Supra until the manual was announced. It was that big a deal to me. Test drove the auto and loved the car. The auto is excellent but just doesnā€™t do anything for me. I drove the new M4 auto also and thought the same thing. I have 2 deposits down now for the manual Supra and couldnā€™t be more excited. You think I care about losing a few tenths on 0-60?

By the way I tried to get a GR86 for 5 months and finally gave up. I know I would have been underwhelmed by the power and lack of creature comforts anyway so the Supra is really the way to go.
How the turntables now the MT guys are complaining about this

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
So when someone wonders why anyone would want a manual transmission Supra when the automatic car is faster and gets better fuel economy, I can only feel that they just don't understand and probably never will. And that's fine.
This.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
Me too. I've liked them since day one, but had no interest in owning one because no manual... And also I thought that a manual might become available, which obviously came to be.
Exactly this. I have never owned an auto and won't until the electric revolution forces me to. I suspect this Supra will be the last ICE car I own.. unless Toyota in their infinte marketing wisdom decide to produce a targa. Ugh.

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
I think the vast majority of us OG stick shift drag racers would rather bang gears in a 10 sec car than hold the wheel straight in an 8 sec car. You either get it or you don't; most don't and that is fine.

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
No right or wrong. Just happy Toyota is making the manual now so we have choices, to each their own

Diablo

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Launch Edition / 2018 4Runner TRD
Yeah but let's be honest with ourselves..most AT owners cane their vehicles so often that they never get high MPG anyways. Especially with mods and E30.
Yeahā€¦ā€¦.. Iā€™m lucky to see 17 mpg average. My4Runner daily gets better mileage šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2023 F150 Tremor
If 1/4 mile is all you care about, for about the same money, you can just get a Model 3 Performance. And to make a Supra match that performance, you need to spend a lot of money on mods.

To me, sports cars are about spirited driving on a mountain road or in the canyons.
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/news/scca-reclassifies-tesla-model-3all-way-top-rung/

FWIW, you could also just buy a model 3 performance for that, too.

I agree with most of what youā€™re saying, but with cars, there will likely always be a better proposition for the goal.

However, often times, the fun with cars comes from picking a platform youā€™re interested in building it to some arbitrary goal.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I havenā€™t checked, but what is the wait time for the MT Supra?

I suppose I can make room for another Supra in my tiny ant garage.. :crazy: I did miss out on the white A91 CF this year..
Sponsored