concept

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
Took mine in twice for this. First time they re torqued the drain plug. Still leaked, The 2nd time they agreed to swap fluid and replace the fill/drain plugs under warranty
So did doing those things fix the problem? How long has it been?
Sponsored

Davedaveee

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra GR Premium 3.0
Honestly listen to these guys' advice and just wipe the diff oil from any spot it is on and just drive and see if more comes. No point having your diff dismantled for potentially no reason my friend.

OP
OP
concept

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honestly listen to these guys' advice and just wipe the diff oil from any spot it is on and just drive and see if more comes. No point having your diff dismantled for potentially no reason my friend.
Notes:
1. This is a massive dealership that has had many Supras brought in for servicing.
2. There is a dedicated (Supra-trained) technician and service advisor.
3. The problem analysis document includes not only photos that show where the leakage is occurring, but also exploded service manual drawings.
4. I had worked for over 30 years as a mfg. engineer, many of which involved designing and building subsea/fresh water instruments with seals good to 200 to >5,000 meters depth. not a liberal arts major who teaches poetry writing. 😏
5. Many MKV forum members have had bad experiences with dealerships. I get that, but you should not assume that every dealership mechanic is someone who has fake credentials and ruins every Toyota he gets his hands on.
6. Honestly, I appreciate every comment/opinion that has been posted here. There will be risk whether I simply wipe up the leak every day and hope no damage is occurring, or have the leak repaired according to Toyota/BMW engineers' service manual. In the meantime I have an MX5 PRHT with manual transmission and a free top-of-the-line Toyota Crown loaner that gets over 45 mpg and rides like a Lexus.

.....no worries!

alan7467

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
I spoke to the Supra-certified technician at the dealership. He told me that this is the first time over the past 4+ years that a Supra needs a new diff input shaft seal. So no, this was not from an overfilled diff. The good news is that I have a free-to-use top-of-the-line Crown hybrid. The parts are estimated to be in by 1-12-2024.

And by the way, my 2024 has no:
- creaking anywhere
- wind buffeting below 45 mph

Give the lack of creaking some miles. My car was totally silent for about the first 800 miles. It isn't awful now, but definitely not creak free and I'm expecting plenty more over time.

The wind buffeting has 100% not been addressed. Not experiencing it (depending on wind direction) below 45MPH is totally normal. It doesn't bother me that much. I've gotten used to not rolling my windows down all the way. Helps a lot.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
Notes:
1. This is a massive dealership that has had many Supras brought in for servicing.
2. There is a dedicated (Supra-trained) technician and service advisor.
3. The problem analysis document includes not only photos that show where the leakage is occurring, but also exploded service manual drawings.
4. I had worked for over 30 years as a mfg. engineer, many of which involved designing and building subsea/fresh water instruments with seals good to 200 to >5,000 meters depth. not a liberal arts major who teaches poetry writing. 😏
5. Many MKV forum members have had bad experiences with dealerships. I get that, but you should not assume that every dealership mechanic is someone who has fake credentials and ruins every Toyota he gets his hands on.
6. Honestly, I appreciate every comment/opinion that has been posted here. There will be risk whether I simply wipe up the leak every day and hope no damage is occurring, or have the leak repaired according to Toyota/BMW engineers' service manual. In the meantime I have an MX5 PRHT with manual transmission and a free top-of-the-line Toyota Crown loaner that gets over 45 mpg and rides like a Lexus.

.....no worries!
I fixed it for you:

1. You are always right and have good reasons.
2. Everyone else is always wrong and their reasons are no good.

Best of luck mate.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I fixed it for you:

Best of luck mate.
You forgot the part where he wishes he would have wrote poetry books instead of wasting 30 years drawing rubber seals.

OP
OP
concept

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Give the lack of creaking some miles. My car was totally silent for about the first 800 miles. It isn't awful now, but definitely not creak free and I'm expecting plenty more over time.

The wind buffeting has 100% not been addressed. Not experiencing it (depending on wind direction) below 45MPH is totally normal. It doesn't bother me that much. I've gotten used to not rolling my windows down all the way. Helps a lot.
I think it's safe to say that the road surfaces have something to do with it. When I lived in CT, my cars would get vibrated relentlessly. It's not bad here in most locations but where there are small sections of neglected surfaces, I slow the car down quite a bit.
My odometer is approaching 800 miles. I'll report back if I hear anything.

OP
OP
concept

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You forgot the part where he wishes he would have wrote poetry books instead of wasting 30 years drawing rubber seals.
I designed gasket seals. Most of the o-ring grooves were created as per the Parker o-ring handbook. The o-rings were off-the-shelf but care had to be taken at times when chemical compatibility and hardness were vital to sealing effectivity. O-ring contact surface finishes are also important.

OP
OP
concept

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I fixed it for you:

Best of luck mate.
Not exactly. ;) I'm the only one here who saw close-up photos of the almost definite origin of the leak. I'm certainly not always right, but in this case the Tech and I are likely to be.

But thanks for your well-wishes. :thumbsup:

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
Actually, the technician took photos that showed the leak path. It was not coming from a weep hole.
Would you be able to post those here?

Sharocks

First Name
Sha
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 A91 MT, 04 M3, 05 M3, 00 M5, 00 Z3M, 04 X5 6MT
The wind buffeting definitely exists.

You just aren't going fast enough with the windows down.
Sponsored