45th Anniversary model, Mikan (orange) group thoughts

MZero1

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Anniversary Edition (Absolute Zero)(auto)
Had an opportunity tonight (and might still tomorrow) to buy this baby. I've been waiting for a 3.0 Premium (Absolute Zero) but the salesman offered the Anniversary model they rec'd. My reservations are the color (prefer more reserved) and the manual shift. I've grown lazy in my older age and like an automatic, though I know it's probably more exhilarating to shift and control speeds. Being it's one of 450 orange (& 450 white), do you guys think it will become desirable like the MK4 (2JZ)? Please share your thoughts!
Sponsored

OP
OP
MZero1

MZero1

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FORGOT! Another big reluctance to getting the Anniversary. Would you guys add aftermarket parts to the Anniversary model? If I got a Premium, I wouldn't hesitate to go aftermarket, but with an Anniversary model, do you think that would defeat the idea of it being "one of 900" unique?

Thanks guys.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
I think it could definitely be as desirable as a MK4... if you waited a similar amount of time. Based on almost every high-appreciation limited edition vehicle auctioned in the past 50 years... yes, it should be completely stock, driven less than 500 miles per year, and kept in an environmentally controlled garage the rest of the time.

If all of the above is followed (and you don't have to pay half the gains in dealer markups) you could possibly get 200% or more for it in 20 years. Is that worth it... not to me, but everyone is different. If looking for an automotive investment... there's far better places to put your money.

Bigboss

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 civic FK7 sport, supra 3.0 premium
There is no point in buying a car just to keep as a museum piece in the hopes of it being desirable in the next 30 yrs like you think the mk4 is. Who knows if youd even make it the next 30 yrs, you buy a car like this to enjoy it now while you can.

OP
OP
MZero1

MZero1

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thanks for the responses! If I were to own one of these I would certainly drive it. If it were to appreciate in value over the years that would be a bonus. Just thought it would be sacrilegious to mod it (i.e. wheels, springs, etc.) Appreciate the input!

bk5

First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CUL A91-MT
I don't think anyone really cares about anniversary models. With most manufactures, they just throw some badges/stickers on the car and charge too much money for it. And this is the route Toyota went with the Supra.

The only benefit to the AE is the color. But, like you said, you have reservations about the color (so other people might as well), and orange is harder to wrap cleanly than black one.

do you think that would defeat the idea of it being "one of 900" unique?
No. In all honestly, the "special edition" is probably going to be more common than the regular Supras. Toyota is probably going to sell like 1700 units in 2024, if 900 are special editions, then that leaves 800 regular ones.

Crypto79

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91 MT, 1997 sc300 5 Speed
I don't think anyone really cares about anniversary models. With most manufactures, they just throw some badges/stickers on the car and charge too much money for it. And this is the route Toyota went with the Supra.

The only benefit to the AE is the color. But, like you said, you have reservations about the color (so other people might as well), and orange is harder to wrap cleanly than black one.

No. In all honestly, the "special edition" is probably going to be more common than the regular Supras. Toyota is probably going to sell like 1700 units in 2024, if 900 are special editions, then that leaves 800 regular ones.
this is almost verbatim what I was going to write. The manual and later model year cars will carry a premium over however the market values this car. there is potential due to low production, exotic looks and end of the line visceral old-school internal combustion driving dynamics. But nobody has a crystal ball and supply and demand has many variables, most of all popularity which is a fickle beast.

A91s will be slightly more expensive but not likely to carry the bidding war potential as specific colors which will be rarer and have that buyer who has to have. There isn’t enough options differentiation and it remains to be seen techs acceptance in the collector market as there will come a time where maintaining electronics will be the bane of classic cars. Most of the options on a Supra is tech related. The four-cylinder supra might have a day sometime as they are rare and less complex but with all the look.

currently the lowest production A91 is the 2023. A 2025 with an actual track pack might end up being the crown jewel if it has actual functional and mechanical differences instead of trim and cosmetic

Sharocks

First Name
Sha
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 A91 MT, 04 M3, 05 M3, 00 M5, 00 Z3M, 04 X5 6MT
The MKV's that will probably hold the most value:

A90 LEs with low miles
A91 CFs all colors
A91 MT's specifically Burnout ones

This anniversary edition:
1. Looks rice IMHO
2. Is a terrible marketing ploy (FACT)
3. Derpy wing and stickers come on

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL

je8

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra
You have to get what you like and can live with modding/driving/looking at. I’m not a collector so cannot resonate with buying cars strictly based off of possible future value, even though mine is basically low mileage garage ornament. However you want to enjoy it…

Mimosa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
-
Mod it.

Edition Supras are nothing special. Editions are premium models with cosmetic changes. None of them are special and don't listen to anyone that tells you any different. It will also take 20-25 years to see if there is any demand for GR Supras in general in the collectors space and then the only things that will influence the price are:
  • Desirable paints
  • Transmission (This is a toss up since Auto is superior for performance bros and Manual is for boomers/clout chasers/"It's all about the feels" bros)
  • Engine (4cyl, 6cyl 2port, 6cyl 6port)
  • Base/Premium (won't have a huge impact)
  • Mileage (huge impact)

These edition cars are just stickers and trim pieces... no one cares about that. The only GR Supras that collectors will salivate over are:
  • Supra GT4 Evo
  • Supra GT4 100 Edition Tribute
  • Whatever that testmule on the Nurburgring will be called.

Even the 1997 MKIV Anniversary Edition doesn't command a premium. The only thing that matters for Turbo MKIVs are mileage, LHD/RHD, Auto/Manual, and RSP.

Last edited:

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
I've my Mikan Blast 45th for just over a week and am surprised at how many people who said they love the color. Around here, the vast majority of vehicles are black, white, grey, red, and blue.
Subaru and a couple of other manufacturers make a limited number of orange vehicles.
I noticed yesterday that while looking closely at my car's paint under the sun, I can see very small metal flakes that create a sort-of pearlescent glow.
Lotus and Lamborghini made orange cars, as well.

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
In my personal opinion - may not represent everyone or majority - Mikan Burst is a great color. will this be offered to other trim next year or following years? not sure.. but most likely not which it will be very unique. In short term, it will be just like any other supra but in long run, It may hold value a bit higher than "normal" supra.

As for mod, my typical response, just bolt on and keep all original parts.

Whether to drive or not, how one enjoys a car is very different from one to another. I personally love to drive specially in track. But I do own a car that I drive less than 100 miles a year as well... I just enjoy owning it. Some also like to just mod it to the teeth. Some only cares about running down straight as fast as they can and even destroying it. So as long as you enjoy the car, who cares?

If I had a chance and I don't have to drive it on the track, I'd get it but I already own one supra and I need to drive it on the track therefore I'd pass.

CafeRacerQueen

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Daniela
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
‘20 M4 CS, ‘24 GR Supra 45th LE
I like mine. It’s been two weeks and I’ve modded the hell out of it.

it’s also apparently the most hated combination, Mikan Blast, Manual.. life is too short for boring ass colored cars. There is no scenario where I will ever have a car that is white, black, any shade of grey, or any “dark color” that highly blends in like dark blues, etc. My biggest car ownership regrets have been a Selenite Grey C63s and a Ruby Red Roush Mustang. So boring

IMG_1019.jpeg

IMG_1020.jpeg
Sponsored