Anyone removed the flimsy undercar brace?

GRMan

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Too many
The bar is there to add rigidity and stability to the chassis when that area is under tension and stress.

It is not supposed to be very rigid because it has to be able to flex the way the chassis does.

You don't feel it because you don't drive the car hard enough. Even on a drag strip these bars improve traction by minimising chassis twisting at launch and full throttling.

CortC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra 3.0 MT
That bar adds structural rigidity to the unibody, it is functional and should be left installed. It may seem somewhat flimsy when not installed in the car and so do most of the other stamped components that make up the vehicle structure until they are all welded, glued or bolted in place.

As an engineer who spent several years working in the aviation industry early in my career I analyzed that component when I installed my exhaust and it is structural.

Even the large aluminum plate under the engine is structural. If it was not needed Toyota/BMW would have not engineered it into the vehicle.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I expect it's plenty strong under lateral compression and tension.

This obviously doesn't matter to folks who only drive in a straight line.
And nothing aside from driving in a straight line matters. It’s a win win.

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Is there any other option on the market than cusco? I have nothing else on the car that''s blue

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
I have mine off It does pretty much nothing. I had to remove it for my aftermarket exhaust.
B67519DD-F2AF-4E67-8038-EB8707FE6FAF.jpeg

Maybe I should put mine back on and see if I can break it 🫣 🤭
I just finished a weekend at Homestead and was really flexing her. Shaved off another 3 seconds to get under 1:40. It’s great running with the newer Vettes and and bigger 💪🏼 than Cayman Porsches.

Anyone have a link to the Cusco and will it fit with an aftermarket exhaust (AWE track in my case)?

Last edited:

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
Maybe I should put mine back on and see if I can break it 🫣 🤭
I just finished a weekend at Homestead and was really flexing her. Shaved off another 3 seconds to get under 1:40. It’s great running with the newer Vettes and and bigger 💪🏼 than Cayman Porsches.

Anyone have a link to the Cusco and will it fit with an aftermarket exhaust (AWE track in my case)?
You can buy it almost anywhere, this is what it looks like:
https://www.a90shop.com/product-page/cusco-rear-chassis-powerbrace-supra

It fits just fine with my HKS Super Turbo exhaust

CortC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra 3.0 MT
And my AWE exhaust, to specifically answer that part.
And with the Magnaflow, any properly designed and engineered exhaust should fit fine with the brace in place…

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Last edited:

TheShortGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2007 Dodge 3500
That bar adds structural rigidity to the unibody, it is functional and should be left installed. It may seem somewhat flimsy when not installed in the car and so do most of the other stamped components that make up the vehicle structure until they are all welded, glued or bolted in place.

As an engineer who spent several years working in the aviation industry early in my career I analyzed that component when I installed my exhaust and it is structural.

Even the large aluminum plate under the engine is structural. If it was not needed Toyota/BMW would have not engineered it into the vehicle.
The only response that matters in this thread.

Is there any other option on the market than cusco? I have nothing else on the car that''s blue
Get it powder coated whatever color you want.