Are stock intakes better than cold air intakes?

Shelby Miles

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra GR Premium & 1993 JDM Supra SZ
I've done this before. It's a fun art project. Makes your engine bay look like the Lunar Lander if nothing else. A lot cheaper bling than those aluminum cap covers.

Did you happen to get any numbers on it though? I could get no conclusive results.
I did not and I’m kicking my ass for not doing so. Just the burn hand method.
Sponsored

Stiggosaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Have the BMS open CAI. Didn’t drive the car much with the OEM box.
However, after adding the Versus heatshield, my IATs dropped a lot. Yesterday during 107F heat, I my IATs kept around low 120s. Last year it was around 140s with the same CAI. I do think if you want the sounds but not the heat, you need the heatshield and maybe some ventybois.
I’ve been seriously considering that Verus heat shield, but I can’t help but think that trapping that heat back in so close to the turbo can’t be good for it. It surely must increase temps around the turbo somewhat.

Has anyone seen this brought up anywhere before? I’d be curious to hear if there is any data around what a shield like that does to temps around the turbo.

Kolme

First Name
Kolme
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
I’ve been seriously considering that Verus heat shield, but I can’t help but think that trapping that heat back in so close to the turbo can’t be good for it. It surely must increase temps around the turbo somewhat.

Has anyone seen this brought up anywhere before? I’d be curious to hear if there is any data around what a shield like that does to temps around the turbo.
Actually, Versus themselves did a bit of testing. See attached.

FC53E24A-B66D-498B-B324-5F86A335213C.jpeg

D K

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 TG
At first, I thought it was just me but others felt a drop in performance after I installed my CTS intake. It has a tall metal heat shield but the filter isn't really protected behind it. So then I decided to install the Verus heat shield and I felt a little return in power. Might have been a placebo effect or something...

Anyways, just prior to buying the Verus heat shield, I was pretty convinced that I was going to put my stock airbox back in with a K&N drop-in filter and do the resonator delete to sound like the cool kids. I'm staying with this setup until I move onto the next level with my power setup (i.e. RP 65 Omega turbo kit).

Hood scoop/vent, fender vents, snorkel, upgraded intake manifold, or a combination of these will keep your IAT's down and improve performance.

Last edited:

Stiggosaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Actually, Versus themselves did a bit of testing. See attached.

FC53E24A-B66D-498B-B324-5F86A335213C.jpeg
This is fantastic, thank you! Any chance you have a link to where this came from? I'd love to read more about this in context. I'm not seeing anything on the product page.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black

suptj

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91
All in all, unless you're pushing lots of power, I see no benefit running CAIs other than sound. If you do happen to stick with CAIs, maybe pair it with a snorkel to give it a source of fresh clean air to help aid the cooling. Judging by my tests/logs, its clear that CIAs just isn't as efficient as the stock OEM airbox. Hopefully users running CAI + snorkel can chime in and share their data/experience.

My brother @racebuild and I recently installed a DIY heatshield + snorkel. If you would like to read on it:
https://www.supramkv.com/threads/diy’d-a-manifold-heat-shield-intake-snorkel.18838/#post-297487

Last edited:

bushido

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra, N180 4Runner
At first, I thought it was just me but others felt a drop in performance after I installed my CTS intake. It has a tall metal heat shield but the filter isn't really protected behind it. So then I decided to install the Verus heat shield and I felt a little return in power. Might have been a placebo effect or something...

Anyways, just prior to buying the Verus heat shield, I was pretty convinced that I was going to put my stock airbox back in with a K&N drop-in filter and do the resonator delete to sound like the cool kids. I'm staying with this setup until I move onto the next level with my power setup (i.e. RP 65 Omega turbo kit).

Hood scoop/vent, fender vents, snorkel, upgraded intake manifold, or a combination of these will keep your IAT's down and improve performance.
nah, no placebo. i went for a drive after i installed 3 verus parts, i was experimenting with the BMC brace. because of the shield, i had better throttle response and the car no longer had any hesitation in the low rpms

tracking the car/during autox, i’ve never felt any loss of power

Reactions: D K

PikkaGTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Zupra
I personally have the AMS intake with the Verus heat shield and FTP charge pipe
The sound is quite louder than stock, but the air box is sealed and used the factory snorkel
A bit pricey and I initially wanted the Dinan kit, but after seeing it had cutouts exposing it to the same area air as the turbo I sadly had to pass

20230422_110141.jpg

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Step 1 Gather stock data on street, track, wherever and noise
Step 2 Contain turbo with heat shield, wrap what have you.
Step 3 compare data before n after
Step 4 invest in fully enclosed CAI for shits n giggles 🤭
Step 5 record data and sound
Step 6 compare
Step 7 start poking holes or plugging Dinan's holes...
Step 8 compare data and plug as many holes suited to your needs
Step 9 enjoy..

Also, surely CF looks nice but isn't it louder with a SS or aluminum enclosure ?

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 VW Tiguan, 2007 Cayman

Without getting too crazy into it, there are three types of heat transfer; conductive when two objects touch, convective which is transfer to the fluid around the object, and radiative which is the light, or "shine" from a hot object. Heat shields are meant to reduce radiative heat transfer. They have no effect on convective cooling. A turbo blanket or heat wrap is a different story.