AT & MT Feedback Needed

ichitaka05

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BRZ
Now, this is just WHAT IF questions, but bare w me.

What if Toyota do bring MT for Supra. BUT it'll be released only on highest model for limited amount (1:5 or 1:10 ratio compared to AT). What it mean is, only way to get MT is, to buy 3.0 Premium model and base model on comes w AT. Are you willing to pay extra cash (roughly $4k compare to Base vs Premium) to get MT.

Also to the owners who own Supra (new model, of course), if I can get some feedback as well. Do you feel, you still want MT or AT? Is AT good enough for this car?

Now, this is a what if and feedback thread... but more feedback I can get is better..

Thanks
Sponsored

dc2r

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 BMW M3
It seems like what few manual transmission options that are left amongst manufacturers are being limited to models that have less power. eg. Genesis G70, 6mt only available on the 4 cylinder model in 2WD form only, and the upcoming BMW M3/4 is said to only have a 6mt in RWD only, in a base "pure" model.

tedan628

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 Sti, 2005 Forester XT
aftermarket is coming for manual tranmission. go check it out youtube and they say it will cost around 20 grand to replace auto trans to manual

drew_kar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Turbo BRZ, S14
I would gladly pay a premium for a factory equipped manual; I would do a lot for a manual, actually.
Although the AT is amazing (from my test ride), a stick shift is the only way I can have this car in my possession.

racer01

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Vehicle Showcase
I would pay a premium for a proper manual in this car. Would not be over excited about a rubbery mediocre manual like BMW put in the E60 M5 to please the very few who demanded manual, but a proper feel like Toyota/Honda/Mazda/Porsche. A good manual available next year would make me trade my 2020 Supra in on a manual version in a heartbeat. I have had lots of dual clutch cars recently (15' Golf R, 17' M3, 991.1 GT3, 18' NSX) all of which worked pretty well with an "auto", but for me this car really begs for a manual similarly to a Miata.

zakira

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5, JBH D09, Metro, Uber and Lyft :(
Well, Tada-san did say to try the auto first. If you then still want a manual, then they will kind of consider, kind of thing.

mande110

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
na
I would pay a premium, I am not purchasing a stick shift car to be budget friendly at this point. I would actually prefer to have the stick shift with all the features of the premium model. As much as I like the automatic, a stick shift model will prove to be timeless. It’s old tech, so it doesn’t evolve as rapidly, whereas an automatic after some time can feel dated.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Even though I have the LE, I'd have paid the premium to get M/T. LE is/was premium anyhow.
The A/T as is so far is pretty good on daily drive. I feel like even at my best, I wouldn't have been able to shift as quickly, but for sure takes driver's input/thrill out of the question..
I like the fact that Toyota has a good torque control that's allowing the car to launch perfectly every time without wheel spin with the A/T. That's given it an edge compared to Z4. With M/T, it'll be up to the driver to do a good launch and then you'd definitely need a shift light on the HUD.
A/T gets a bit finicky in rush hour traffic, definitely need to put it out of sport mode.

I can't say for sure now, but if I didn't have to wait for ages after ordering, I could see myself swapping mine for an M/T. I'd have to drive the M/T to decide at this point. If, at launch it came with M/T, then, no question I'd have gone with M/T...

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Patiently waiting...:D

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW X3 M40i, BMW M2 Comp, Ferrari 328
An automatic sports car is dead to me, so I would indeed pay more ($3-4K) for a good manual. If you consider that I spent more to get an M2 Comp than a Supra would have cost, I already paid a premium for a manual! Supra would be in my garage right now if it came with a manual.

Jabba

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Hyundai Veloster N
What if Toyota do bring MT for Supra. BUT it'll be released only on highest model for limited amount (1:5 or 1:10 ratio compared to AT). What it mean is, only way to get MT is, to buy 3.0 Premium model and base model on comes w AT. Are you willing to pay extra cash (roughly $4k compare to Base vs Premium) to get MT.
I would buy two of them at a no questions asked premium.
Sponsored