Audio upgrade options

JasonO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra LE
Yeah, I'm seriously considering the sound proofing route considering how it sounded parked - at least the doors and the "bass tunnel" areas, though the floor would also be required for most improvement. It's really weird coming from my RC-F... while certainly not a champion system, the ML factory setup (ironic considering that's also a Harman company) was quite good once you ditched the goofy DSP and moved the fader to full front. The car was very quiet so that helped loads.

Unfortunately it was such a unbearable porker at over 2 tons, and the suspension was so punishing on anything that wasn't paved in the past 10 days - that I never wanted to take it on long drives. With the MKV, it's so comfortable while being sporty and a blast to drive - but the audio makes me again hesitate to select it for anything longer than 20-30 minutes. I guess as long as I add some mods and a tune along with soundproofing everything and replacing all drivers and adding a real sub - problem solved.

Of course, by then it will be likely closer to a $70K car when all is said and done (and possibly with a voided warranty)... so that's a different kind of problem. :dunno:
Well it is my DD and Iā€™m in my car for 2-4 hours a day. The back of my mind item is what sound proofing will do to my warranty. The weight alone will be between 150-250 lbs depending on what I can get away with. That could be half the load allowance of the car. At that point any suspension and possibly transmission issues Iā€™d be concerned about getting screwed on.

Anything electrical they will blame on everything being pulled and something getting knocked loose, overheating, or whatever if I sound proof. The amp install didnā€™t bother me as it isnā€™t much additional load and it has its circuit protections. I think the amp and soundproofing would be hard to argue for warranty if both were done. Just too many what ifs there.

I may just replace the speakers with a bavsound kit when they release it. That way it is plug and play. Oemaudioplus is an option, I just donā€™t want the subwoofer as I need the cargo space and have my own already.
Sponsored

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
I'm cautiously optimistic about the bavsound kit as well... at least that's a relatively inexpensive possibility.

Torquem

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium
I hope bav comes up with a subwoofer solution. I actually like the front speakers enough.

whycantidrive

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350z
Don't own a supra yet but will by the end of the year. Some of the first things on the list to upgrade is the subwoofers.. looks like it's 2 10's stock? I'm guessing no one has made custom boxes for a single 12?

JasonO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra LE
:D
Don't own a supra yet but will by the end of the year. Some of the first things on the list to upgrade is the subwoofers.. looks like it's 2 10's stock? I'm guessing no one has made custom boxes for a single 12?
I donā€™t think you could fit a 12ā€ in the deck space as is. The box dimensions would likely have to increase and you have to modify or dance around the rear floor panel that you need to leave access to for the battery. If you put a box in place of the existing woofer deck, the height will likely need to increase or you will have to remove and relocate some ECUs under the existing deck.

The 8ā€™s play to around 200-220Hz and the crossover is pretty steep as best I can tell (not very well). So you will either need to run the sub with the mid-bass or do dedicated drivers for that range.

They're 8's not 10's... @JasonO has a custom box in this thread... perhaps you missed it? ;)
You made any decisions yet or still waiting on a few more guinea pigs to iron out all the issues? :D

RN1997

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Premium
Not a 12 but I made one for a 13...

box pic 1.jpg

whycantidrive

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350z
Interesting, I was hoping it'd be able to replace the current one somehow but didn't know they were 8s. How much trunk space do you have left over with that 13?

RN1997

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Premium
Interesting, I was hoping it'd be able to replace the current one somehow but didn't know they were 8s. How much trunk space do you have left over with that 13?
I would say the box took about 1/3 of the space under that flexible cargo shelf.

SawgrassGoon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 LE Supra
Just saw a review on bavsound with a review from a guy named Luis saying he bought speakers and it fit perfectly for the supra and to contact "Justin Rowley" as he has the PERFECT setup for the supra and he's just waiting on the amp. Does anyone know how to contact him and how does this work? It's just plug and play and much better sound or? Thanks.

Famo

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 LE Supra
Debating what to do, this is the next thing on my list. I want to still be able to use the factory equipment and nobs, but I need better bass and sound. Might have to look into bavsound. Do they have a full package available yet?

SUPRATOY

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 SUPRA
Just saw a review on bavsound with a review from a guy named Luis saying he bought speakers and it fit perfectly for the supra and to contact "Justin Rowley" as he has the PERFECT setup for the supra and he's just waiting on the amp. Does anyone know how to contact him and how does this work? It's just plug and play and much better sound or? Thanks.
it is a plug and play not hard to do. The kit is the BMW SPEAKER UPGRADE FOR F33/F83 CONVERTIBLE WITH HARMAN KARDON ( note that the rear speakers are the same size as the one for the center channel and not the original speakers on the kit!!)

Justin Rowley

he works at BAVSOUND

definitely much better sound, I'm still waiting for a solution for the amp! ....toyota advertised the system as an JBL which is actualy the same as harman kardon.... OEM speaker cones are cheap crap!, but label as HK

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You made any decisions yet or still waiting on a few more guinea pigs to iron out all the issues? :D
Oh I'm hoping for at least half a petstore worth of guinea pigs! ;) My biggest concerns are actually with the limitations regarding space. Although rare, I do occasionally fill my hatch area with gear... one case in particular just barely fits now. So I definitely wouldn't be adding a true sub to my setup like you have.

Maybe if I heard a full custom setup that sounded incredible, I'd more easily pull the trigger on a couple grand in upgrades... as it is I'm wondering just how much improvement is even possible until you've filled the hatch like you did. Stock is at least neutral enough to not bother me frequency wise, but as far as output it's a very long distance from "clean and clear".

I've got a couple pairs of JBL studio monitors with cheap boxes, cheap drivers, and cheap D-class amps... which sound incredible for ~$175-250/pair on sale (305P/308P) - pretty sad that with more drivers and (supposedly) much more power... the same can't be said for the MKV setup.

JasonO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra LE
Oh I'm hoping for at least half a petstore worth of guinea pigs! ;) My biggest concerns are actually with the limitations regarding space. Although rare, I do occasionally fill my hatch area with gear... one case in particular just barely fits now. So I definitely wouldn't be adding a true sub to my setup like you have.

Maybe if I heard a full custom setup that sounded incredible, I'd more easily pull the trigger on a couple grand in upgrades... as it is I'm wondering just how much improvement is even possible until you've filled the hatch like you did. Stock is at least neutral enough to not bother me frequency wise, but as far as output it's a very long distance from "clean and clear".

I've got a couple pairs of JBL studio monitors with cheap boxes, cheap drivers, and cheap D-class amps... which sound incredible for ~$175-250/pair on sale (305P/308P) - pretty sad that with more drivers and (supposedly) much more power... the same can't be said for the MKV setup.
Well Iā€™m slowly working my way up on upgrades, so you will need to be patience if Iā€™m one of the guinea pigs. Iā€™m going to be pulling panels and installing foam tape on all panel joints. I also will be wrapping and tightening harnesses and pins with TESA tape. My next step if Iā€™m unhappy will be CLD panels. After that, depending on how things looked when I pulled everything off, it is either sound proofing or replacing the rest of the speaker (and maybe add an amp).

My rear deck takes up the same space as the factory, so you may have me confused with RN1997. I think replacing the rear woofers made a huge difference as they were muddy and they appear to be most of the problem to get clean sound. Iā€™m not entirely happy with the 6ā€s I have installed as they bottom out at a higher frequency than I would have liked, but I can remedy that fairly easily.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Well Iā€™m slowly working my way up on upgrades, so you will need to be patience if Iā€™m one of the guinea pigs. Iā€™m going to be pulling panels and installing foam tape on all panel joints. I also will be wrapping and tightening harnesses and pins with TESA tape. My next step if Iā€™m unhappy will be CLD panels. After that, depending on how things looked when I pulled everything off, it is either sound proofing or replacing the rest of the speaker (and maybe add an amp).

My rear deck takes up the same space as the factory, so you may have me confused with RN1997. I think replacing the rear woofers made a huge difference as they were muddy and they appear to be most of the problem to get clean sound. Iā€™m not entirely happy with the 6ā€s I have installed as they bottom out at a higher frequency than I would have liked, but I can remedy that fairly easily.
Yes, I did have your setup confused with RN1997's - which definitely wouldn't work for me. I might split the difference with those two setups and just see about doing a box extension like yours but just for two 8s and sealing everything off - but that looks like fabricating the whole thing based on what I can see from the shop manual.

It's such a "cake and eat" situation with not wanting to add much weight at all, but wanting much better damping on everything. Plus with a few other very interesting cars getting released in the next few years, it's also a case of how much to sink in something I might not be keeping for more than a couple years. First world problems, I know. ;)
Sponsored