• Total voters

cactusA91

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
81Celica Supra(1st Car)/Taco/Ghia/A91 Wannabe
Break in oil change. Checked full the entire time - no issues. Replaced delivery oil with Liquid Moly. At the advice of my car guy neighbor - let the oil drained in pan sit overnight to settle and then carefully drained it to check the metal remaining in bottom. Also sending in a sample to Blackstone. No overt chunks seen. Definitely some small sparkles. Car was not tracked but alternated between sport and normal mode and run a bit from time to time.
IMG_0713.jpeg

IMG_0714.jpeg

IMG_0715.jpeg

IMG_0716.jpeg

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Break in oil change. Checked full the entire time - no issues. Replaced delivery oil with Liquid Moly. At the advice of my car guy neighbor - let the oil drained in pan sit overnight to settle and then carefully drained it to check the metal remaining in bottom. Also sending in a sample to Blackstone. No overt chunks seen. Definitely some small sparkles. Car was not tracked but alternated between sport and normal mode and run a bit from time to time.
Please post your report from Blackstone when you get it... I made the mistake of using one of my free changes - and despite giving them my kit, asking twice, and putting a post-it on the dash... they "forgot" to grab a sample for me. :rolleyes:

Obviously, no two cars/break-ins/tests will ever be the same - but it would be interesting if they note anything significant. I wish I had a lift or at least more "wiggle room" in my garage. Sigh.

Heavy Foot

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra. 2018 Mazda Miata RF. 2020 Range Rover.
I took my car to Toyota for an oil change today, and I had asked to watch the procedure, so I could take pics and watch them measure the old oil. The service Manager refused to let me. I said to the dealership "I'm sorry, but I'm going to pass on there oil change" I currently have 4,100 miles (6,500kms) on original oil. My oil indicator didn't start to dip until around 2,700miles. The oil indicator has been at the 3/4 low for a few weeks now. I honestly thought the light would come on during my 30 minute drive to the dealership. Does anybody know how much residual oil is left after you drain it? I just want to factor that in when I get the measurement of the old oil. My oil indicator bounced around during my observations the last few thousand miles. I guess my consumption is not as bad as other peoples. I did an easy break in. build date 03/20.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
I took my car to Toyota for an oil change today, and I had asked to watch the procedure, so I could take pics and watch them measure the old oil. The service Manager refused to let me. I said to the dealership "I'm sorry, but I'm going to pass on there oil change" I currently have 4,100 miles (6,500kms) on original oil. My oil indicator didn't start to dip until around 2,700miles. The oil indicator has been at the 3/4 low for a few weeks now. I honestly thought the light would come on during my 30 minute drive to the dealership. Does anybody know how much residual oil is left after you drain it? I just want to factor that in when I get the measurement of the old oil. My oil indicator bounced around during my observations the last few thousand miles. I guess my consumption is not as bad as other peoples. I did an easy break in. build date 03/20.
I estimate about 200ml is left in the engine. It also depends on the angle of the car when you drain it since the plug is not on the back of the pan.

-RJM

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra RZ, BMW G20 gone:BMW F30, E85, E46
based on some BMW forum discussions, could be as much as a quart left in the cooler. Assuming the oil filter is changed out too. Then 6.9 quarts of oil to fill up.

So the engine supposedly holds about 8 quarts of oil.

Heavy Foot

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra. 2018 Mazda Miata RF. 2020 Range Rover.
I only know it’s late 2019 production based on shipment arrival. So likely late Q3 or early Q4 2019. They don’t stamp production dates on our cars, and VIN lookup shows nothing except 2019 production.
On the door jam, you'll see a metal plaque. It will give you the build date.

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Since there seems to be a good number of you who have had to add your own oil or have done your own oil changes, have you looked down the oil filler opening? I decided to look at mine and I'm used to cars where there's really nothing to see. Do all of yours look like this too?

IMG_1526.jpeg

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Since there seems to be a good number of you who have had to add your own oil or have done your own oil changes, have you looked down the oil filler opening? I decided to look at mine and I'm used to cars where there's really nothing to see. Do all of yours look like this too?

IMG_1526.jpeg
I think I see some marring on one of your piston cylinders. You most own a 2021 right? ?

All jokes aside, curiosity got the best of me. I went and snapped a pic of mine, for the sake of science of course. ?

-RJM

567C5BB0-C3AE-438F-A934-476143CDEC99.jpeg

Last edited: