Clutch Slipping on stock A91 MT...

clutchman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra and GD STI
This is fantastic, very helpful. I really hope they're not using a self adjusting pressure plate, those are absolutely garbage. We will definitely be working to engineer one that does not utilize that. Id like to see if anyone may by chance have any actual photos, that will help drastically. This is a huge help though.

Yes the 4th photo does kind of look like a twin plate utilizing an oe style cover.

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
I really hope they're not using a self adjusting pressure plate, those are absolutely garbage.
Based on the crazy special service tools needed to remove and reinstall, I'd bet that it is, because things need to be 'clocked' a certain way with rotational tension applied. Certainly different from any other single-plate clutch I've seen or worked on in my lifetime.

clutchman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra and GD STI
Based on the crazy special service tools needed to remove and reinstall, I'd bet that it is, because things need to be 'clocked' a certain way with rotational tension applied. Certainly different from any other single-plate clutch I've seen or worked on in my lifetime.
Do you have access to the service manual for installing the clutch? I'm curious. It kind of looks like a 5 series clutch as previously mentioned.

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
Do you have access to the service manual for installing the clutch? I'm curious. It kind of looks like a 5 series clutch as previously mentioned.
I certainly do have access to the service manual. I'll dig into it more tomorrow.

clutchman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra and GD STI
The nice thing is if you're replacing the whole thing then you don't need to mess with all that. Most kits would come with their own pressure plate anyway.
This is correct. The special tool is very common on BMW kits and many aftermarket kits come with a similar style tool pre-installed to be removed after installation. It's not a necessary tool, it just makes it easier to install the pressure plate as it keeps the iron plate retracted (as if you're pressing the clutch pedal down).

Thank you Fuzzy for these pages! I'm sharing with my team right now, i'm actively looking to get my hands on a complete setup. Keep everyone updated as things continue on my end.

Sharocks

First Name
Sha
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 A91 MT, 04 M3, 05 M3, 00 M5, 00 Z3M, 04 X5 6MT
TJ Hunt just roasted his stock clutch.

Apparently his contact at ACT will be making a clutch for these cars.

If it's not SouthBend, I'm all ears.

You can look up the video, he's popular amongst the children who use words like "drip" and "bet" and "lit".

No cap, frfr.

Sharocks

First Name
Sha
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 A91 MT, 04 M3, 05 M3, 00 M5, 00 Z3M, 04 X5 6MT

DanzBurG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 MT Supra, '10 Yaris, '19 Fit
TJ Hunt just roasted his stock clutch.

Apparently his contact at ACT will be making a clutch for these cars.

If it's not SouthBend, I'm all ears.

You can look up the video, he's popular amongst the children who use words like "drip" and "bet" and "lit".

No cap, frfr.
I'm going out on a limb here and say that must've been user error and not the trend the thread has being following. Reason being is that guys been beating the shit out of his car since he took delivery of it and It definitely isn't past break-in. But hearing that ACT has a possible solution is good news.. I guess we'll have to follow his videos to find out.. ong frfr LOL

puckshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 CU Later A91-MT
I'm going out on a limb here and say that must've been user error and not the trend the thread has being following. Reason being is that guys been beating the shit out of his car since he took delivery of it and It definitely isn't past break-in. But hearing that ACT has a possible solution is good news.. I guess we'll have to follow his videos to find out.. ong frfr LOL
He built it into a drift car and the clutch let go after the first session. He had an MHD tune on the car and catless DP. 91 octane I believe.

kanaka

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1998 JZA80
and more information:

More MT Clutch issues
Sponsored