Dealer Flash Update Lock

Zoopra

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90, TRD Pro Taco
Any updates on whether tuners have a solution to the locked ecu’s?
Sponsored

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6

fireball

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90
So how do I know if my ecu is locked or not before I go buy a tuning solution and realise I can't flash it ?

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
So how do I know if my ecu is locked or not before I go buy a tuning solution and realise I can't flash it ?
If it got the November software update that fixed the rear camera brightness recall chances are it was locked then.

fireball

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90
Haven't been back to the dealer since I got the car last year. I'm due for a service soon, so it's almost pointless buying a tuning solution if the ecu is going to get locked out at the service when they do the ecu updates . I live on the other side of the world, no idea who can do a bench flash to unlock it in Australia , sending an ecu to the USA and back seems a bit too much effort

Kiwi Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
terminatorproducts.co.nz
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2021 GR Yaris, 2022 GR86
Haven't been back to the dealer since I got the car last year. I'm due for a service soon, so it's almost pointless buying a tuning solution if the ecu is going to get locked out at the service when they do the ecu updates . I live on the other side of the world, no idea who can do a bench flash to unlock it in Australia , sending an ecu to the USA and back seems a bit too much effort
Ask them not to do the updates if they are going to lock the ECU during it, they may not be, it could be a US thing

I guess that comes down to your relationship with the dealership

Nocturnal LE

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE
Ryan had this problem - https://www.supramkv.com/threads/if-you-have-a-flash-tune-be-careful-at-the-dealer.4946/#post-75301

I don't know if he needed a bench re-flash after this or not. It may be that he just had ECUTek, which is more restrictive in terms of re-flashing if the car is flashed back to stock.

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
if you have any of the flashing platforms, MHD, BM or Ecutek, you can connect to the car and get the ROM ID and i can tell you if its one of the locked ones.

i mean, you can try to find someone in AUS to do. not sure who there does. But it takes 2-3mins to remove the ECU to ship. when we first hit this issue with all the F-series BMW people were sending me their ECUs from all over the world. And its takes like 2 hours to remove ECU from N55 and S55, haha.

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
Ryan had this problem - https://www.supramkv.com/threads/if-you-have-a-flash-tune-be-careful-at-the-dealer.4946/#post-75301

I don't know if he needed a bench re-flash after this or not. It may be that he just had ECUTek, which is more restrictive in terms of re-flashing if the car is flashed back to stock.

Ecutek does not allow flashing back to stock without losing your flash license. So in the event of the ECU getting a dealer flash or you decide to flash back to stock, you lose your license and have to buy a new one to reflash. its due to how they register licensing with Ecutek This is my single sole gripe with using Ecutek on any of their supported platforms. They will typically work with you with the license, but ive already discussed with them, that it needs to be fixed to where people can flash back to stock freely. Because every other platform can.

Nocturnal LE

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE
Ecutek does not allow flashing back to stock without losing your flash license. So in the event of the ECU getting a dealer flash or you decide to flash back to stock, you lose your license and have to buy a new one to reflash. its due to how they register licensing with Ecutek This is my single sole gripe with using Ecutek on any of their supported platforms. They will typically work with you with the license, but ive already discussed with them, that it needs to be fixed to where people can flash back to stock freely. Because every other platform can.
So if someone was coming to your shop to get a custom tune, and had the rear camera recall pending, would you advise them to get the recall done, or no? Can most tuners do a bench reflash, or is this something specialized? How much extra time does it take on your part to do a bench reflash?

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
So if someone was coming to your shop to get a custom tune, and had the rear camera recall pending, would you advise them to get the recall done, or no? Can most tuners do a bench reflash, or is this something specialized? How much extra time does it take on your part to do a bench reflash?
the choice for completing the recall is up to the owner. just know there is a chance they will reflash the ECU too unless you're specific about them not doing it.

I wouldn't say "most" tuner can do it. Some can. They need to be able to bench read and bench flash an ECU, so they need tools for that. then they need to know what to change if their tool doesn't automatically do it. timewise.....probably 30minutes or so.

JasonO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra LE
If it got the November software update that fixed the rear camera brightness recall chances are it was locked then.
I think this started before November. In September they estimated mid November for the start. I purchased at the end of October and my VIN comes up with no active recalls.

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
I think this started before November. In September they estimated mid November for the start. I purchased at the end of October and my VIN comes up with no active recalls.
Oh okay thanks for the clarification

MarinTuned

First Name
Marin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
marintuned.com
Car(s)
Supra mk5
Vehicle Showcase
I believe EcuTek is planning to put a write block on the ECU. So if you have a tune the dealer wont be able to over-write it. This helps out in this very situation.

First Name
Codi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra, Boosted IS300
I think I’m finally going to give in to my impatience and send my DME to Justin
Sponsored