First oil change, when did you guys get yours done?

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Safe to wait until 5,000 miles? Was thinking of changing it at first 5,000 and again at 10,000. NOT 10,000 like Toyota recommends!
5000 is about 3500 miles too far. I would recommend at 1500 miles to do the first oil change. Then you can do the 5K and 10K intervals.

-RJM
Sponsored

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
Is there any research or empirical data on when to change oil for modern cars and current oil formulations: the first oil change and subsequent? It would be nice to know what the data show.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/oil-change-truths/
or
https://www.popsci.com/earthtalk/article/2008-08/science-changing-your-oil/
(they're both the same article...)
or
https://actascientific.com/ASNH/pdf/ASNH-02-0083.pdf
(paper discussing re: cooking oils, but viscosity changes, etc. apply equally in an engine)
or
https://recondoil.com/change-synthetic-oil/
or
Google it yourself... ;)

Honestly, the best course of action - dealership or self-changed - IMO at least is to get an oil analysis done at least two or three times (even better if you log driving styles during use).

That way you can see what the analysis says and go from there. If you track it a bunch, take a long road trip, or just short local trips - you can then determine which driving behavior is breaking down and/or contaminating the oil, and at what rate.

I got my first change at 5K, and I'm already at 7500 miles after that now, and probably won't get the next change until ~9K or so. However, I never track my car and I daily my 25 mile commute (all highway)... with only very occasional short trips.

@H20_Doc - there is a ton of research and empirical data on engine lubricants (basically any manufactured substances at this point), but the biggest variable is YOU. How you drive the car, and to a lesser extent how well it was manufactured, will make a huge difference. Consider how many people have certain problems on these forums - while the majority do not. The 10K recommended change may actually be quite conservative for some cars, drivers, and driving habits - while being far too risky for others. No two cars (or drivers) are exactly the same after all.

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/oil-change-truths/
or
https://www.popsci.com/earthtalk/article/2008-08/science-changing-your-oil/
(they're both the same article...)
or
https://actascientific.com/ASNH/pdf/ASNH-02-0083.pdf
(paper discussing re: cooking oils, but viscosity changes, etc. apply equally in an engine)
or
https://recondoil.com/change-synthetic-oil/
or
Google it yourself... ;)
I appreciate the response, but what I have looked for was research with original data that uses a sound study design that qualifies in whatever measures what the difference might be between various time-to-first-oil-change. Some of the links you provided are generally useful, but I am interested in the data. There is a lot of circular citation that leads to truths being created out of unsupported assertions and bold statements with little to no empirical data. Iā€™m really wondering what the data really show in a controlled experimental design.

So, again and sincerely thanks for the reply. I did use the Google and found similar information. Iā€™d just like the nerdy details and Iā€™ve been using Google scholar, at least a bit, to see if I could find something more on point. My inquiry here was because I hoped someone might have a recommended piece of research that might not appear in my available sources. Google is great, but crackdowns on copyrighted materials being made public ally available leave a significant body of literature invisible.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So, again and sincerely thanks for the reply. I did use the Google and found similar information. Iā€™d just like the nerdy details and Iā€™ve been using Google scholar, at least a bit, to see if I could find something more on point. My inquiry here was because I hoped someone might have a recommended piece of research that might not appear in my available sources. Google is great, but crackdowns on copyrighted materials being made public ally available leave a significant body of literature invisible.
Yeah, pay-walled whitepapers are the bane of my existence (don't care as much about automotive engineering... but I sure wish the membership to AES was a bit cheaper).

To the other point... that's the real issue - even where there is empirical data (and available directly without surrogates), it's still not going to properly address the variables inherent in this specific application.

About the only realistic possibility might be to contact BMW directly and see if you could convince someone on the B58 R&D team to send you their internal testing data, combined with the selection criteria used for the specific oil forumulation... and hope that it applied in the significantly different environment of you actually driving your specific vehicle. :hmm:

Of course, I don't have to tell you the likelihood of that working out in your favor, right?

The bottom line will always be a relative unknown. However, I personally have seen no evidence (anecdotal though it may be) to support a drastically different result from initial oil change duration. The largest body of data - which is an unknown quantity - will always be in the hands of the engineering teams of the manufacturers (and possibly their sponsored race teams)... but I've never seen any published studies that indicated substantive merit in that area.

I'm quite sure if the guys at Blackstone haven't found any universal value for that (and published it's result)... it's because it's entirely dependent on the engine, oil, manufacturer, assembly, driving condition, etc.

Some possibilities for more raw data (though still not directly applicable IMO) might be found here:

Last edited:

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
I recently did the first oil change on my Supra at 1200 miles. As you can see from the picture below this is why its not recommended to wait until 5K miles for the first oil change. You want to get that debris out of the pan soon after the break-in period.

-RJM

36F3090E-EAF0-4981-B01D-A22B00641B64.jpeg

Qskid2

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2018 Street Triple RS
I've been doing some reading here on this thread and figured it might be good to get an oil change right after break-in given the particulates that have been observed to float around in the MY2021 Supras. Seeing as how ToyotaCare gives 2 free services, I had requested an oil change scheduled today. No problem I thought. I also got confirmation from several folks over the phone (service desk, service scheduler, and service advisor) it is no issue since it is up to me to do these oil changes. Fast forward to this morning, they were running 40 minutes behind in check in so there I was sitting in my car waiting. Got checked in. Told it'd be 2 hours so they called me an Uber home. 2 hours goes by and they call me to say ToyotaCare won't accept their claim since I'm doing an oil change "too early". So they call me an Uber to go pick up my car. Explain to me that "at 6 months ownership or 5k miles is when they feel they could file a service claim that'd be accepted". Best part? The service advisor had asked me how to TURN OFF the car when I had handed my keys to him at the beginning - should've known something was off LOL.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I recently did the first oil change on my Supra at 1200 miles. As you can see from the picture below this is why its not recommended to wait until 5K miles for the first oil change. You want to get that debris out of the pan soon after the break-in period.

-RJM
Too bad you didn't have an analysis done of that... would have been interesting to see what the actual composition of the debris was (i.e. which metals were involved, what was sealant/gasket material, etc.).

I tried to do an analysis on my first change but the dealership "forgot" to pull any after two verbal reminders and the analysis kit being in the cup holder with a post-it on the vial. :mad: That's what I get for using my free changes I guess - well, that and not having a low-profile jack or lift to do my own yet.

Hopefully someone will have more luck than I did with their initial change, and be able to post a report to this thread.

Supraluv

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra premium , Z4 Coupe , 2002 MRoadster
I have 1300 miles on the car and it has turned too cold to drive on the stock tires safely. I will be doing an oil change soon my soon if just for piece of mind.

GR_Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Premium, '90 NA Miata, '05 Saab 92x
I did my first oil change at the Toyota dealership at 11 months, odo 4100 miles. The dealership said I qualified for my first free ToyotaCare oil change as long as I was at least 11 months in. (The first scheduled maintenance is in terms of time is 12 months.) I scheduled an appointment on a day when the Supra tech was in and it took a little over 2 hours of waiting.

FWIW, the oil life indicator still said I had 6000 miles left until my first oil change when I took it in. My oil level stayed at the max the entire time of my first 11 months, so no noticeable oil consumption in my first year. This included one day at the track, long road trips, spirited mountain driving, and normal slow driving.

HaiFrends

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 GR Supra Nocturnal Black
I didn't change oil at 1200. I went into the dealership at 6k/1 yr mark.. I don't track or race etc. So they changed the 2 free ones each at 6k and 12k miles. Latest one I did myself at 5k miles? I'm changing at another 5k soon. Have not sent to Blackstone but I just might this next time around for the heck of it.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I did mine around 2500mi or so because I had two track days on it. Otherwise I'd wait closer to the OEM recommended interval.

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
Did mine at 1200.

As others said here, I literally had to talk the dealership into making them do it, initially they scoffed when I rang them for an oil change at 1200 miles and asked me why am I doing it lol

Jammon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, BRZ, MGB, Triumph TR3, AH 100-4,
If you're leveraging Toyota Care, I'm curious if their systems have limits on when they'll allow you to use the service - e.g. how close to the months/miles of the recommended service do you need to be in order to qualify.
I had mine done at 500 miles and the dealership didn't have an issue.
Sponsored