2021 Supra
Using European Amsoil 0W20- exceeds specs for this engine
Sponsored

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Yes, you are partly correct, the US created the Tier 3 program which considers the vehicle and its fuel as an integrated system to reduce the impacts of motor vehicles on air quality and public health. The program set new vehicle emissions standards and lowered the sulfur content of gasoline to a maximum of 10ppm beginning in 2017. The program grew out of a Clean Air Act, and ever since 2017 our fuel quality standards have been in line with those in Europe, but not before then. Before this change had occurred, oil used in the US often times used additional alkaline additives in order to combat the build-up of acids in a lubricant as it breaks down. Refer to the Total Base Number (TBN), which is a measure of alkaline concentration present in a lubricant. The higher the TBN, the more protection you get from sulfur or other acid compounds. You'll look on the tech specs of any given oil to find those numbers. Above 8.5 TBN provides decent protection in countries with 10ppm or fewer sulfur content in the gasoline. Most all engine oils are formulated with >8.5 TBN. Now back to CAFE and the viscosity of the oil, those things are directly related. To play it safe, any oil used in the B58 engine should at the very minimum have 3.5 cP or greater High-Temperature/High-Shear Viscosity rating measured using ASTM D5481. For B58 Turbo engine Bimmer world recommends 5w-30, 10w-40, 5w-40 or 0w-30.

https://www.bimmerworld.com/BMW-Engine-Oil/

The link also provides some interesting comments on driving habits to avoid oil sludge and build-up, basically hinting if you drive in low RPM often (not in sport mode) it's probably not good for your engine.
Thanks for the link, this helps confirm that the 5w-30 oil is a better option than the 0w-20 from the factory.

-RJM

Shay

First Name
Shay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Premium White
Dealer changed mine 2 weeks ago at 1200 mi. No charge, covered under Toyota Care. I wanted to take advantage of the first free change before changing to catless DP and adding JB4. I will probably do my own changes from now on.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Shay did you bring your own oil? Chances are they just used a random 0w20 they had...(?). Dealer quick lube bays are like subcontracted staff.

KellyJoe

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Shay did you bring your own oil? Chances are they just used a random 0w20 they had...(?). Dealer quick lube bays are like subcontracted staff.
Luckily my dealer has two qualified Supra techs with 25+ years experience each. Supras don't go through the quick change lane and after a conversation with the service manager to school up his parts people, they had the correct oil in stock ahead of my appointment... He was kind of pissed that his people had plenty of filters and such but no oil. He actually thanked me for getting them up to speed.... I'll still do my own after the freebies though. :thumbsup:

Tsar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
You can look up exactly what part numbers they used to change you oil. Don't think they are gonna go as far as falsifying records to stick you with the wrong oil :dunno: (I also confirmed part numbers that will be using before bringing my car in).

Shay

First Name
Shay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Premium White
The dealer had and used the genuine Supra 0W20 oil.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
The dealer had and used the genuine Supra 0W20 oil.
That's good. I would never trust my dealer especially when the lady keeps calling me saying they would do my Supra's oil change for $50. That wouldn't even pay for the oil.

EPHIOS

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra
Did mine at about 2K and thinking about doing an oil change every 5K after that

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
First oil change and every oil change afterwards have been @~8500 miles....I've never been overly obsessive about short interval oil changes on any of the sports cars I've owned over the years...

Msoupe

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0, Civic Hatch, C10 Pickup
Oil Changes:
  • 1,100 mi.
  • 5,700 mi
  • 10,000 mi (almost there, at 9,100 mi now)

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
break-in at 1.2k, then 5k, 9k (after a long road trip and just before a track day), and now trying to get near 14k.

jeffgazoo

First Name
Jeff Blosser
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Premium 2022 Rav4
Just did my first at 600, I am limited to 5 free with the 2 years of Toyotacare, so what the hell.
Sponsored