Get a dashcam my dudes! Only way to explain this BS to the insurance!

s0_Salty-

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 A90 Supra, 09 STi, 2019 Subaru Ascent
You have given me so many ideas now that I have this perspective. Thank you! Iā€™m going to start shopping estimates tomorrow.
It's painful to watch but at least you got evidence. For the first time I'm glad I invested on a 2 channel dashcam with external battery for the supra.

If your going the paper route go to a body shop with the highest estimate, better if you have a toyota dealer with a bodyshop they will definitely charge more and then cash out.

baagel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2020 Challenger Hellcat
Great idea! Have a particular order part in mind?
First, sorry this happened to you man. I'm about to start stopping 3 car lengths away from people now šŸ˜‚

For the horn, I'd honestly recommend getting the FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster horn. You can get it from Amazon, many auto parts stores also carry it. A lot of other members have switched out to this one too. It's like 20 bucks and you can literally mount it in the same spot as the OEM horn, the only extra work you have to do is tapping into the hot wire of the original horn connector. You can check out my post in this thread:
https://www.supramkv.com/threads/horn-question-replaced-ā€˜clown-carā€™-horn.7486/page-10#post-167968

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi, Jeep
Wow, that sucks and I'm totally not trying to place any blame, but this is the exact reason that I leave "extra" space when I'm driving my car versus when I'm driving my Jeep. We're in a nation of trucks and SUVs these days and it's all too easy for a moron driver to not see a small. low car behind them. It's no excuse, but it happens.

The other reason I leave extra room between me and the car in front of me is so that I can see a little better. In my car, I can't see anything when I pull up behind an SUV. In my Jeep, that's not a problem :)

spta97

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2020 BMW X3MC
Wow, that sucks and I'm totally not trying to place any blame, but this is the exact reason that I leave "extra" space when I'm driving my car versus when I'm driving my Jeep. We're in a nation of trucks and SUVs these days and it's all too easy for a moron driver to not see a small. low car behind them. It's no excuse, but it happens.

The other reason I leave extra room between me and the car in front of me is so that I can see a little better. In my car, I can't see anything when I pull up behind an SUV. In my Jeep, that's not a problem :)
It looks like the OP left a great deal of room between him and the car in front. So much so I was wondering "Why did he stop now?" until I remembered he was driving a Supra and the low stance and overhead blockage make it impossible to see (not to mention letting people in front of you room to be idiots).

But, I can say that when my g/f's Supra is parked behind my truck, it literally cannot be seen when in side the truck through any mirrors.

trev_rs

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium, '17 Abarth 124 Spider
First, sorry this happened to you man. I'm about to start stopping 3 car lengths away from people
I already do this and watch my rear view giving me some space in case I think I'm about to get ass ended.

This shit is unreal though, yet it happened to my wife in an MR-2 one time. I don't know what the fuck people think they are doing reversing like that in the middle of the road.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi, Jeep
It looks like the OP left a great deal of room between him and the car in front. So much so I was wondering "Why did he stop now?" until I remembered he was driving a Supra and the low stance and overhead blockage make it impossible to see (not to mention letting people in front of you room to be idiots).

But, I can say that when my g/f's Supra is parked behind my truck, it literally cannot be seen when in side the truck through any mirrors.
Dash cams always make distances look exaggerated. You can tell that he wasn't that far back because the SUV didn't back up a lot before he hit his car.

Xproplayer

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra White
So glad to see dashcams being recommended constantly, I'll chime in as well and vouch, and IMO if you're going to do a dashcam here's my logic:

Spend $100 minimum to get a dashcam
Then spend another $100 to get a name brand like blackvue
Then spend another $100 to get dual channel

I spent about $300 for the blackvue dual channel 1080p 30fps with the fuse tap and smart box for setting voltage cutoff and timer cutoff

I had the dashcam on my last car, which I removed, then drove to the dealer and traded in the car, I then drove the supra away from the dealer lot to a home depot and installed the dashcam, granted I'm in CA where drivers are crazy but IMO driving without the dashcam is so risky these days.

Mine is currently just visible wires everywhere, but I have found lots of resources around for how to properly hardwire which I'll do sometime, if anyone wants some links or any notes from my hardwire lmk.

OP
OP
FnkDrSpok

FnkDrSpok

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra Prem
Dash cams always make distances look exaggerated. You can tell that he wasn't that far back because the SUV didn't back up a lot before he hit his car.
Um, I was a good distance back, far enough where he should've been able to see me. I was almost car length away from him. Others have suggested being further back which is helpful, but not always feasible in every situation.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
Same thing happened to me in my 70 Camaro back in the day. It was bright orange and the guy still claimed he didnt see me. Those trailer hitches can do some crazy damage real fast. A week after I got it back from the body shop, I got rear ended sitting at a red light....

topgear422

First Name
Aamir
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
The SAME exact thing happened to me last fall. I was behind someone leaving my apartment, the gate to exit wasn't working so she decided to reverse without looking. I tried honking once I saw her reverse lights, but the horn on this car is pretty much worthless so she hit me pretty good. Had to get a new bumper, new headlight, all new sensors, and the PPF redone. Thankfully I have an authorized Toyota collision center near me so they were able to replace things painlessly and it's as good as new. Interesting fact I also learned, the headlight is about 4 times more expensive than the entire bumper.

OP
OP
FnkDrSpok

FnkDrSpok

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra Prem
The SAME exact thing happened to me last fall. I was behind someone leaving my apartment, the gate to exit wasn't working so she decided to reverse without looking. I tried honking once I saw her reverse lights, but the horn on this car is pretty much worthless so she hit me pretty good. Had to get a new bumper, new headlight, all new sensors, and the PPF redone. Thankfully I have an authorized Toyota collision center near me so they were able to replace things painlessly and it's as good as new. Interesting fact I also learned, the headlight is about 4 times more expensive than the entire bumper.
Yep, sounds familiar as you witnessed. I got it estimated at Toyota collision center, but Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™m gonna get the work done there. I donā€™t want to wait on an OEM bumper. They wonā€™t work with any other distributors so I would have to wait. How long did yours take to get repaired? Did they do the PPF?
Sponsored