tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I had a really awful vibration sound coming from behind the driver side on bass heavy tracks, found the spot and was able to fix it. I've ordered the materials to do the full mod in this thread eventually too, but wanted to drop some info here as this as a really easy fix for an annoying issue.

Bad vibration/buzzing from behind the driver - turns out to be the big subwoofer trim/liner piece that I am touching in this picture. Any amount of pressure on it would resolve the vibrations. I noticed it is not very secure/tight at the bottom behind the seat.
Glad you found it...This specific spot was identified as a source of some rattles and vibration and discussed quite a while ago in another thread which by now is buried in posts!

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/vibrations-rattles-in-2020-premium-supra.2294/page-2#post-54172

Here is a video Carguy11 posted showing sources of vibration and rattle...

Sponsored

mdemo

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Tiguan
This may be the wrong thread and I apologize if soo.

First I am assuming the 2 Factory Sub enclosure is removable!?!?

Secondly if so, Would anyone happen to have a blueprint on a sub enclosure to pull out and replace the whole factory sub enclosure area? Or, maybe someone knows where to find a diagram of some sorts of the specs / design of the factory enclosure and I can design myself..

My goal is to remove that whole sub system, build a new enclosure to close up the gap to the hatch a little more and to to fire to 8"s (Focal) backwards, to retain all my trunk space.

Thanks in advance!!

*Edit* I found this after posting
https://www.supramkv.com/threads/a90-subwoofer-any-and-all-info-pertaining-to-subs.4973/

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Turbulence, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe

Secondly if so, Would anyone happen to have a blueprint on a sub enclosure to pull out and replace the whole factory sub enclosure area? Or, maybe someone knows where to find a diagram of some sorts of the specs / design of the factory enclosure and I can design myself..

My goal is to remove that whole sub system, build a new enclosure to close up the gap to the hatch a little more and to to fire to 8"s (Focal) backwards, to retain all my trunk space.

Thanks in advance!!

*Edit* I found this after posting
https://www.supramkv.com/threads/a90-subwoofer-any-and-all-info-pertaining-to-subs.4973/
People have removed it, so it is doable. But I think it is a good amount of work.

OP
OP
tadda

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase

Thanks in advance!!
The actual factory subwoofer sheet metal enclosure shown below is not removable....

Subwoofer 3a enclosure partitions.jpg

The subwoofer plastic mounting boxes on top of the sheet metal enclosure can be removed...

subwoofer 1 exposed 1.jpg

mdemo

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Tiguan
The actual factory subwoofer sheet metal enclosure shown below is not removable....

Subwoofer 3a enclosure partitions.jpg

The subwoofer plastic mounting boxes on top of the sheet metal enclosure can be removed...

subwoofer 1 exposed 1.jpg
thank you @tadda , so my best but would be probably to build an enclosure to close off the metal, then build up from there. Again Thank you vey much!!

JDG520

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
Just waiting on the Dacron to show up tomorrow to finish this. Decided to make custom grills for inside the ports rather than buy the ones that have the screws that mount from the front.

can’t wait to hear how it sounds once I put it back together.

ShakaDaKine

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 TG 3.0
I'm still trying to figure out issues with my subwoofer. Can someone tell me if you have sound when fading everything to the rear? I get almost no volume with the fade set to the max rear...just wondering if that's normal, or if I have an issue with the HU or amp.

METAL

First Name
K2
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium (Tungsten Silver)
I'm still trying to figure out issues with my subwoofer. Can someone tell me if you have sound when fading everything to the rear? I get almost no volume with the fade set to the max rear...just wondering if that's normal, or if I have an issue with the HU or amp.
Full rear plays the subs too. Almost rear kicks on the rear speakers.

ShakaDaKine

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 TG 3.0
Full rear plays the subs too. Almost rear kicks on the rear speakers.
Thanks. Do you still have full volume or is it reduced? I have almost no sound coming out of the subwoofers (or any of the other speakers) when the fade is set all the way to the rear.

Grady60

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Toyota Prius Persona Series
Slightly off topic, but why aren’t more car makers putting speakers in the headrests, like Bose does for the Miata, and the Corvette, and other cars. Why do they insist on sticking with JBL? I’ve replaced factory speakers in 3 of my Toyotas.

Tsuki

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A91-CF
Slightly off topic, but why aren’t more car makers putting speakers in the headrests, like Bose does for the Miata, and the Corvette, and other cars. Why do they insist on sticking with JBL? I’ve replaced factory speakers in 3 of my Toyotas.
JBL is actually a good company, and is part of the Harman Audio group. Since BMW uses Harman Kardon for their hifi systems, it would make sense to label the system in the Supra as their lower-tier equivalent, which is JBL
 even though they’re the same speakers as the BMW HK setup. They’re very highly regarded.

As for speakers in the headrests, Bose has a mindset of ‘the more speakers, the better’, in order to produce a grand soundstage. Other manufacturers stick to the audiophile ideal that you want as few speakers as possible to produce the desired frequency range. Bose gives up quite a bit in terms of sound quality (by an audiophile’s ear) to produce that great soundstage, which is why most other manufacturers don’t follow suit. There may also be patent issues.

Personally, I absolutely hate speakers sitting right next to my head, it’s the absolute worst place for a speaker, for anything other than just to be loud. While the system in the Supra is still lacking, I’m glad that’s one thing I don’t have to worry about.

starman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0P
My 2017 Miata had the Bose headrest speaker. It was only mainly good for calls but useless for music.

Grady60

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Toyota Prius Persona Series
JBL is actually a good company, and is part of the Harman Audio group. Since BMW uses Harman Kardon for their hifi systems, it would make sense to label the system in the Supra as their lower-tier equivalent, which is JBL
 even though they’re the same speakers as the BMW HK setup. They’re very highly regarded.

As for speakers in the headrests, Bose has a mindset of ‘the more speakers, the better’, in order to produce a grand soundstage. Other manufacturers stick to the audiophile ideal that you want as few speakers as possible to produce the desired frequency range. Bose gives up quite a bit in terms of sound quality (by an audiophile’s ear) to produce that great soundstage, which is why most other manufacturers don’t follow suit. There may also be patent issues.

Personally, I absolutely hate speakers sitting right next to my head, it’s the absolute worst place for a speaker, for anything other than just to be loud. While the system in the Supra is still lacking, I’m glad that’s one thing I don’t have to worry about.
Thanks for that explanation. I can see your point. I currently have Hertz speakers in my Prius, and had some in my MR2 Spider. They are awesome.

METAL

First Name
K2
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium (Tungsten Silver)
Thanks. Do you still have full volume or is it reduced? I have almost no sound coming out of the subwoofers (or any of the other speakers) when the fade is set all the way to the rear.
When full rear all speakers are off and only the subs play.