METAL

First Name
K2
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium (Tungsten Silver)
No longer have a need for my ported panel. Willing to swap (no cost) with anyone local to me. Peoria, AZ.
Sponsored

foywilliamd

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
MKV Owners:

Have any of you upgraded the factory JBL sound system in the 2020/2021 Supra?

After porting the factory box and adding acoustic foam and dynamat, I am still not pleased with the low range bass response.

Iā€™ve seen many mixed reviews about the performance of the Bavsound Ghost subwoofers. Some people love them, some people say they donā€™t sound much different.

I think it has a lot to do with the factory amplifier.

Considering replacing the amp (suggestions?) as well as the subwoofers with something like the Rockford Fosgate P3SD4-8, which is a shallow-mount subwoofer. Though, I donā€™t think it will fit into the OEM subwoofer box without modifications (it is still too deep). Iā€™d like to maintain an interior look as close to stock as possible, as trunk space is already limited, and this is my daily driver. This means an additional sub and box is out of the question.

Adding links to the modifications Iā€™ve made so far, as well as to the subwoofers mentioned above.

https://www.bavsound.com/products/ghost-subwoofer-upgrade-for-toyota-supra

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575P3SD48/Rockford-Fosgate-P3SD4-8.html?cc=02&tp=111

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/how-to-improve-oe-sub-bass-quality-and-eliminate-vibrations.5092/

Thoughts?

89 and 95

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, V8 Solstice Coupe, 21 C8, 88 V8 Fiero
Got my Supra back from inMobile/Soundwerks in Scottsdale after they played with various iterations of the above fixes for sub quality and overall stereo performance. I was not part of the day to day discussions, but just know all sounds fantastic now. Ended up with a DSP amp running new subs in the oem enclosure -- I guess the key to making it all work was a module that eliminates the oem amp completely. Anyone in the area, take your car to Don at inMobile and they can do the same.

foywilliamd

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
@89 and 95 can you provide links to the amp and subs you are running now? And maybe pictures of your interior? Thanks in advance!

89 and 95

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, V8 Solstice Coupe, 21 C8, 88 V8 Fiero
Check with inMobile on specifics. Interior is oem (amp is hidden). Only visual difference is the gain dial for the sub, which is below steering wheel.

METAL

First Name
K2
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
MKV Owners:

Have any of you upgraded the factory JBL sound system in the 2020/2021 Supra?

After porting the factory box and adding acoustic foam and dynamat, I am still not pleased with the low range bass response.

Iā€™ve seen many mixed reviews about the performance of the Bavsound Ghost subwoofers. Some people love them, some people say they donā€™t sound much different.

I think it has a lot to do with the factory amplifier.

Considering replacing the amp (suggestions?) as well as the subwoofers with something like the Rockford Fosgate P3SD4-8, which is a shallow-mount subwoofer. Though, I donā€™t think it will fit into the OEM subwoofer box without modifications (it is still too deep). Iā€™d like to maintain an interior look as close to stock as possible, as trunk space is already limited, and this is my daily driver. This means an additional sub and box is out of the question.

Adding links to the modifications Iā€™ve made so far, as well as to the subwoofers mentioned above.

https://www.bavsound.com/products/ghost-subwoofer-upgrade-for-toyota-supra

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575P3SD48/Rockford-Fosgate-P3SD4-8.html?cc=02&tp=111

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/how-to-improve-oe-sub-bass-quality-and-eliminate-vibrations.5092/

Thoughts?
Whats your budget?

METAL

First Name
K2
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)

foywilliamd

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Update for all - I think the Rockford Fosgate P3SD4-8 Shallow Mount 8ā€ subwoofers
Whats your budget?
Budget is ideally $1500 or less. I think Iā€™m going to proceed with the two RF subs mentioned before with a 500W amp. Iā€™ll keep the forum posted on results either way.

METAL

First Name
K2
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
Update for all - I think the Rockford Fosgate P3SD4-8 Shallow Mount 8ā€ subwoofers

Budget is ideally $1500 or less. I think Iā€™m going to proceed with the two RF subs mentioned before with a 500W amp. Iā€™ll keep the forum posted on results either way.
What do you plan to run those subs at Frequency wise? Keep in mind the oem subs are playing mid bass and sub bass.

foywilliamd

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
What do you plan to run those subs at Frequency wise? Keep in mind the oem subs are playing mid bass and sub bass.
Honestly Iā€™m not sure. There are some highly rated audio shops in town, I was planning to have them do the majority of the work. Do you have recommendations?

METAL

First Name
K2
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
Honestly Iā€™m not sure. There are some highly rated audio shops in town, I was planning to have them do the majority of the work. Do you have recommendations?
The concern here is by deleting the oem subs you are removing a chunk of the frequency band that the cabin speakers do not play. Asking an aftermarket sub to replace those frequencies is a tall ask and will not sound good. Best option is to leave those oem subs alone and add a sub in the trunk.

nosavingthrow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2022 Mazda 3 Turbo
For the speaker wadding, cut with the template: which side goes up/down? Like it gets folded into a box shape, do you leave the top open, or bottom open once you get it into the enclosure?

OP
OP
tadda

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
For the speaker wadding, cut with the template: which side goes up/down? Like it gets folded into a box shape, do you leave the top open, or bottom open once you get it into the enclosure?
fold such that top is open....

spta97

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2020 BMW X3MC
fold such that top is open....
Doh! Me and g/f did this mod today and put the wadding in the wrong way! :nono:

It didn't make sense to me as I figured the port from the sub would be blocked but guess I read the directions wrong.

I wish I had read this post or further back as I just now read through every page.

We'll fix tomorrow, but in the mean time it made a huge improvement!

Wanted to say thanks Tadda! Awesome job and awesome write up!
Sponsored