How to Improve OE Sub Bass Quality and Eliminate Vibrations

dazza

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
VW Golf R Mk7.5 & Toyota Supra MkV
I have found a new vibration since my audio build.

tempImagez5W5st.jpg

The third brake light area. Not just the center piece but a majority of that plastic against the glass.

@tadda any ideas for a solution on that area?
Yes I that issue too. I used tessa tape line the plastic area where it touches the metal/glass and clipped it back into place. No issues anymore.
Sponsored

Deighvid

First Name
Deighvid
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Premium
Finally got around to doing this. Another happy follower here!

Everything turned out great and I didn't think I would be able to tell the difference since I can be rather daft at noticing subtleties but it genuinely makes a noticeable difference. Like others have said, clearer bass with less distortion and no more random rattle/vibrations.

Thanks for the write up!!

Random photos ft. my pupper. Lol

20210719_182944.jpg
20210719_203628.jpg
20210719_204056.jpg

Deighvid

First Name
Deighvid
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Premium
Did anyone write down measurements for the additional foam recommended behind the plastic in the rear of the car?

The road triangle area.

ShakaDaKine

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 TG 3.0
Hey guys, I have an issue with the driver's side subwoofer. It vibrates more than it should, sounding distorted. I swapped it with the passenger's side and the same thing occurs, so it's not the speaker. What could it be? Could it be the amp? Bad wiring?

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Hey guys, I have an issue with the driver's side subwoofer. It vibrates more than it should, sounding distorted. I swapped it with the passenger's side and the same thing occurs, so it's not the speaker. What could it be? Could it be the amp? Bad wiring?
Did you put the dabs of silicone on the grill (from @tadda 's post above and earlier in thread)? I'd also check the chassis connection points for the housing on that side as it's possible something isn't quite tight. It's unlikely to be bad wiring if the sound itself isn't distorted and/or cutting out... and it's not a bad driver since you switched with the same result.

Are you able to isolate exactly where the vibrations are occurring or is it just in that general area?

ShakaDaKine

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 TG 3.0
Did you put the dabs of silicone on the grill (from @tadda 's post above and earlier in thread)? I'd also check the chassis connection points for the housing on that side as it's possible something isn't quite tight. It's unlikely to be bad wiring if the sound itself isn't distorted and/or cutting out... and it's not a bad driver since you switched with the same result.

Are you able to isolate exactly where the vibrations are occurring or is it just in that general area?
It's not the enclosure or mounting. I checked all of the gaskets and everything was sealed tight. The cone moves much more on the drivers side woofer than the passenger's...even when swapped. The other thing I noticed is when I fade to the rear and then to the left, you can tell that something isn't right, for the sound is much lower and it's distorted. When fading to the right, the sound is much lower, but clear. If I set it back to the center, the sound is much louder to both sides. So, fading to either side in the rear reduces output much more than when it's centered.

Tsuki

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A91-CF
It's not the enclosure or mounting. I checked all of the gaskets and everything was sealed tight. The cone moves much more on the drivers side woofer than the passenger's...even when swapped. The other thing I noticed is when I fade to the rear and then to the left, you can tell that something isn't right, for the sound is much lower and it's distorted. When fading to the right, the sound is much lower, but clear. If I set it back to the center, the sound is much louder to both sides. So, fading to either side in the rear reduces output much more than when it's centered.
1. Have you listened from the passenger seat, to make sure it's not just your perception?

2. Are you sure it's the sub, and not one of the rear fill components, rather than one of the woofers? Maybe a blown mid in the rear?

ShakaDaKine

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 TG 3.0
1. Have you listened from the passenger seat, to make sure it's not just your perception?

2. Are you sure it's the sub, and not one of the rear fill components, rather than one of the woofers? Maybe a blown mid in the rear?
Yes, it's definitely the driver's side woofer connection. The woofer works much harder (cone/spider moves up and down much more) than the passenger side, even when the speakers are swapped. I don't think reversed polarity would cause this. It's acting like it's getting a bogus signal, or as if the gain is greater to that side. I have yet to check the amp/ground. There isn't a gain control, is there?

Tsuki

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A91-CF
Yes, it's definitely the driver's side woofer connection. The woofer works much harder (cone/spider moves up and down much more) than the passenger side, even when the speakers are swapped. I don't think reversed polarity would cause this. It's acting like it's getting a bogus signal, or as if the gain is greater to that side. I have yet to check the amp/ground. There isn't a gain control, is there?
Weird. No gain control on the stock amp. I assume you stuffed both sides about equally when you performed the tadda mod. Since whichever sub is on that side has the same problem, I would say it has to be an amp issue - maybe something slightly grounded, causing an impedance drop on the amp, or something weird like that. With all that you've said, my assumption would be wiring or the amplifier.

OP
OP
tadda

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Just a shot gunning thought here...but do you have ASD disabled?

METAL

First Name
K2
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium (Tungsten Silver)
Is this something you'll get covered under your warranty?

kenkensupra

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra 3.0
I really want to hire someone in Canada to do this mod. Do you think I can take this thread/tutorial to a car audio shop and they will be willing to perform this work?

OP
OP
tadda

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I really want to hire someone in Canada to do this mod. Do you think I can take this thread/tutorial to a car audio shop and they will be willing to perform this work?
Sure, you can take this to an Audio shop to see if they would do this for you, but don't be surprised if they try to upsell you on a whole new sub system by telling you how much the current system sucks and that you'll need to spend a few thousand to get really good sound...ha!

Seriously though, this is so easy a caveman can do this!

nosavingthrow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2022 Mazda 3 Turbo
I had a really awful vibration sound coming from behind the driver side on bass heavy tracks, found the spot and was able to fix it. I've ordered the materials to do the full mod in this thread eventually too, but wanted to drop some info here as this as a really easy fix for an annoying issue.

Bad vibration/buzzing from behind the driver - turns out to be the big subwoofer trim/liner piece that I am touching in this picture. Any amount of pressure on it would resolve the vibrations. I noticed it is not very secure/tight at the bottom behind the seat.

IMG_0182.jpg

Resolved the issue by adding a small strip of foam to tighten up the contact point / panel, see below. The passenger side liner seems about the same, but doesn't vibrate for whatever reason.

IMG_0183(1).jpg
Sponsored