Status
Not open for further replies.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
It will start at between $39k and $45k.
Unless there is a 4cyl or NA entry level model, the car should be in the 50s.

Several individuals asked Tada point blank (in front of me and others) how much the Supra Turbo would be and Tada said, I'm thinking $50-55k.

Although admittedly, the forum insiders have admitted to hearing very little about a GR version, and that it would most likely not arrive until a few years into the model cycle anyway.
Yes, there are a ton of unknowns around the higher spec cars, especially for me now that I've moved on to other things.
Sponsored

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
Unless there is a 4cyl or NA entry level model, the car should be in the 50s.

Several individuals asked Tada point blank (in front of me and others) how much the Supra Turbo would be and Tada said, I'm thinking $50-55k.
Finally a number. So the top end non GR spec is in that range. Not bad, with some negotiation and good timing I'm sure it could be had for high 40s.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm just sick of seeing all the back and forth on the subject, and seeing as how he was saying that as recent as the start of this year I'm pretty certain that's still the price target.

... but, things do change and as said above there may be an NA 6 or turbo 4 (still haven't heard anything worthwhile about these from anyone inside though)

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
A70 thanks for jumping in...Assume we are talking US dollars? If the turbo GR spec comes in at $50-55K that would be awesome, and that price point it seems to make sence keeping in mind Lexus models and other competitors...

Just hope the GR model is available with the NA model and not later...

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
well, we have now seen that the car is essentially the Toyota Supra by Gazoo Racing, so technically all the Supras are GR Supras based on that.

that said, I expect the GR+/GRMN or whatever higher trims are available to be a premium above the initial $50-55k for the base turbo car.

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
Anyway, as I said, BMW had a NA version of the N54 in the 7 Series in some countries. Lexus still has a NA V6 in the new LS in some countries. A NA B58 is not impossible, even thought unlikely and surprising.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
NA makes zero sense. won't meet euro emissions laws AND make decent power.

forced induction is the future for power and emissions.

Assume two trims - 55k turbo and GRMN version (unknown)

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
For all we know it could be an entire new engine with a BMW base which will allow Toyota to make both an NA and Turbo version. This engine has been tight lipped from the start besides the testing of different BMW engines in the first few set of mules.The only confirmation we have today from Tada and insiders is that it will be an inline 6.

Prius_F_Sport

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'14 Subaru BRZ, '12 BMW M3
There isn't much chance for an NA version, I'm afraid. As previously mentioned, it can't make decent power, be easily tuneable (turbos can just crank out moar boost), and meet strict European regulations. I'm calling single-turbo I-4 running in the high 200 horsepower.
I originally thought NA/single-turbo I-5, but only Audi and Volkswagen do 5-cylinders, and lots of VW 5-cylinders are diesels, and no NA I-6 for reasons stated above.
Completely random, but twin-charged I-3? Easily meets regulations, and less materials needed for the block. Probably won't be tuneable, since by the time the car is moving, the blowers are probably 10 degrees off melting.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
There isn't much chance for an NA version, I'm afraid. As previously mentioned, it can't make decent power, be easily tuneable (turbos can just crank out moar boost), and meet strict European regulations. I'm calling single-turbo I-4 running in the high 200 horsepower.
I originally thought NA/single-turbo I-5, but only Audi and Volkswagen do 5-cylinders, and lots of VW 5-cylinders are diesels, and no NA I-6 for reasons stated above.
Completely random, but twin-charged I-3? Easily meets regulations, and less materials needed for the block. Probably won't be tuneable, since by the time the car is moving, the blowers are probably 10 degrees off melting.
..goes against what Tada-san stated regarding an i6 being vital for this project to be considered a Supra. As a base engine, why would the NA i6 need power and tuneability? It would be much like the base NA 2JZ and 7M i6s offered in the previous gens. Plus, there have been news worldwide regarding making regulatory laws less strict for manufacturers so it doesn't seem entirely farfetched. I would also think Toyota would want to limit as many powertrain configurations to keep overall reliability figures up and save costs on production & development especially if they are indeed contributing to the engine design.

And please, you're really asking about a 3 cyl...? Wrong forum :confused1:

Prius_F_Sport

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'14 Subaru BRZ, '12 BMW M3
Okay, maybe you're right. But you know how hard NAs are to tune...

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
Okay, maybe you're right. But you know how hard NAs are to tune...
perhaps but just like on the MK4, anyone who is serious about tuning gets the blown variant from the factory to start with..it isn't like the 2JZ-GE was very tuneable either, but that's sort of the point with a base engine..

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
Idk about that, my buddy built a 600hp NA-T Supra. He brought the car for just $10k. Added in $3k for parts and easily flipped it for $25k. He said when I was ready he could do the same to my SC300, but I'm still paying off student loans. :cry:
Sponsored

Reactions: HKz
Status
Not open for further replies.