Prius_F_Sport

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'14 Subaru BRZ, '12 BMW M3
As I get back on topic...
yeah, definitely the way moving forward. more squish < less squish. E85 and fuels with higher preignition resistance have been a godsend
Technically, you should be able to run more boost on race gas, because of the knock resistance. If we switch to something like E85, manufacturers could potentially pull figures of 200hp+ on just a turbo I-3 *cough cough* Kia Stonic *cough cough* through the higher compression range allowed. Though there is the higher risk of explosion.
Also, is it just me, or have I never seen an E85 pump?
Sponsored

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
ECU remap with that on-the-fly reflasher for track days, normal days, or emissions-tests days. If you have that on your Supra...
By the way, how many HP does yours run?
Beauty of modern day ECUs is that you can have multiple maps that can be changed either with the press of a button, or automatically depending on the fuel composition in your tank.

My car makes 707whp and 628lb-ft. 67mm turbo at 26psi. Still a 3.0 as well.

As I get back on topic...

Technically, you should be able to run more boost on race gas, because of the knock resistance. If we switch to something like E85, manufacturers could potentially pull figures of 200hp+ on just a turbo I-3 *cough cough* Kia Stonic *cough cough* through the higher compression range allowed. Though there is the higher risk of explosion.
Also, is it just me, or have I never seen an E85 pump?
If you're living in Illinois you should see a lot of them. IL has more E85 than almost any other state IIRC. I'm in the Chicago suburbs and there are at least 4 stations within 5 miles of me.

Prius_F_Sport

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You're in the Chicago suburbs too? Because for some reason I've only seen one. Ever. They all say "E15 Max Regulations Law Emissions" or whatnot.

Prius_F_Sport

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
707whp! Do you mind telling me how you did it? I could apply a bit of that to my BRZ (354whp, 302 lb-ft).

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
You're in the Chicago suburbs too? Because for some reason I've only seen one. Ever. They all say "E15 Max Regulations Law Emissions" or whatnot.
The E15 regulation is for ethanol content in regular petrol. Download the GasBuddy app and you can search for E85 around you.

707whp! Do you mind telling me how you did it? I could apply a bit of that to my BRZ (354whp, 302 lb-ft).
Shoot, if you want more power then E85 is right up your alley lol. Anything over 14psi and I'd be worried on 93 on a stock bottom end FA20. Who tuned your car, was it JR at P&L? I'm surprised your tuner didn't recommend E85 from the get-go, to be honest. It's so abundant here, a lot of guys run it just for the safety margin.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
Swap a JZ in it.. that’s how you do it. :)

1k whp Supras are common.

Guff what ECU do you use? Given you are in SP territory.. Proefi?

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Swap a JZ in it.. that’s how you do it. :)

1k whp Supras are common.

Guff what ECU do you use? Given you are in SP territory.. Proefi?
Went with an AEM Infinity, definitely regretted it. AEM quality has really gone down the toilet in recent years, and their support team was hardly helpful over a long painful process of sorting out issues. Absolutely would go Pro-EFI if I did it again, that or maybe a Haltech. Or a Motec if I just had money to burn lol.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Went with an AEM Infinity, definitely regretted it. AEM quality has really gone down the toilet in recent years, and their support team was hardly helpful over a long painful process of sorting out issues. Absolutely would go Pro-EFI if I did it again, that or maybe a Haltech. Or a Motec if I just had money to burn lol.
Surprised Larry didn’t convince ya of a Proefi. Sorry to hear about AEM.. I had a V1 in my car for about 10yrs and it did have some issues initially but got sorted by AEM. M150 is all the rage these days..

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Surprised Larry didn’t convince ya of a Proefi. Sorry to hear about AEM.. I had a V1 in my car for about 10yrs and it did have some issues initially but got sorted by AEM. M150 is all the rage these days..
Lol he definitely was sure to let me know. He also mentioned a lot of people were going with ECUMaster (I think that was it?) and they've had success tuning on those as well. Apparently it's a little more budget option but still very good according to them, so I might look into that on the next build.

I also had a V1 that was great, but sadly the board died on me and AEM discounted an Infinity if I traded in the V1 instead of fixing it. It was a good enough deal that I'm not mad about it, just was surprised with how much of a headache the new ECU and accessories ended up being. You live and you learn though!

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Lol he definitely was sure to let me know. He also mentioned a lot of people were going with ECUMaster (I think that was it?) and they've had success tuning on those as well. Apparently it's a little more budget option but still very good according to them, so I might look into that on the next build.

I also had a V1 that was great, but sadly the board died on me and AEM discounted an Infinity if I traded in the V1 instead of fixing it. It was a good enough deal that I'm not mad about it, just was surprised with how much of a headache the new ECU and accessories ended up being. You live and you learn though!
Oh yeah.. ECUMaster.. have heard good things.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
+1 for Haltech.... for the money, the E2500 has better features than the M800 Motec. A friend sold his and got the E2500.

I have a PS2000 on the A60, PS1000 on the A70 and E2500 on the A80 - I am a big fan. The engine protection and logical operations are fantastic - not to mention the wiring diagrams being generated based on the options you choose in the software.

That said, never played with AEM etc, only the local stuff (Motec/Autronic/Vipec/Haltech)

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
+1 for Haltech.... for the money, the E2500 has better features than the M800 Motec. A friend sold his and got the E2500.

I have a PS2000 on the A60, PS1000 on the A70 and E2500 on the A80 - I am a big fan. The engine protection and logical operations are fantastic - not to mention the wiring diagrams being generated based on the options you choose in the software.

That said, never played with AEM etc, only the local stuff (Motec/Autronic/Vipec/Haltech)
Woah.. what do you have done to your MK2? Post pics please

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
A friend of mine owns ECU Master USA, and if I was to switch standalones or redo it I'd go that route hands down... there is a lot of support for emerging tech with each revision too.

Beyond that, I'd probably go to John Reed and request he build me one of his Motec JZ packages and never look back. Of course that would be if I liked throwing several thousand dollars out the window.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
A friend of mine owns ECU Master USA, and if I was to switch standalones or redo it I'd go that route hands down... there is a lot of support for emerging tech with each revision too.

Beyond that, I'd probably go to John Reed and request he build me one of his Motec JZ packages and never look back. Of course that would be if I liked throwing several thousand dollars out the window.
John Reed’s Motec pkg would be awesome. Iirc induction is doing their own pkg as well at the moment. I typically use Alpha for my tuning.. Proefi has been good to me so far.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
Woah.. what do you have done to your MK2? Post pics please
It's been a decent money pit over the years! Has a built 7MGTE, 57mm CT26, 330mm brembos, custom coilovers and rear suspension, full TechnoToyTuning catalogue, (the original) 5 stud MS65 Crown hub upgrade, 16" Starion widebody wheels, IS200 diff upgrade, lots more stuff I can't quite remember now lol

Buffy8.jpg
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.