Interviews with Chief Engineer Tetsuya Tada

Status
Not open for further replies.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
Idk about that, my buddy built a 600hp NA-T Supra. He brought the car for just $10k. Added in $3k for parts and easily flipped it for $25k. He said when I was ready he could do the same to my SC300, but I'm still paying off student loans. :cry:
sure ofc you can still mod and FI a 2JZ-GE like any other NA engine but I'd be interested in finding out reliability considering the higher compression..
Sponsored

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
sure ofc you can still mod and FI a 2JZ-GE like any other NA engine but I'd be interested in finding out reliability considering the higher compression..
I have no idea, its been 4 years and we didn't keep in touch with the new owner.

Prius_F_Sport

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'14 Subaru BRZ, '12 BMW M3
2JZ-swap an SC300? I saw a drag special like that...
The only real things you can do to an NA engine without forced induction is freer breathing (intake and exhaust), EFI remap, compression, and displacement. But still.

Last edited:

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
the NA 2Js that are non-vvti are every bit as stout as the GTE, but the intake manifold sucks and then there's the high compression and AFM. most folks run an aftermarket manifold, MAP sensor, and just toss in a thicker headgasket to drop the C/R. from there on out, you can make power and do whatever with the supporting mods like: fuel, injectors, standalone, turbo, etc

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
2JZ-swap an SC300? I saw a drag special like that...
The only real things you can do to an NA engine without forced induction is freer breathing (intake and exhaust), EFI remap, compression, and displacement. But still.
SC300 already has a 2JZ...

Prius_F_Sport

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I thought it was a 1JZ-GE.
I'm talking about the North America first-gen model.

EDIT: Just searched it up. Looks like it has an NA 2JZ. Need to brush up on engine codes. I was talking about a tuned GTE swap.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
I thought it was a 1JZ-GE.
I'm talking about the North America first-gen model.

EDIT: Just searched it up. Looks like it has an NA 2JZ. Need to brush up on engine codes. I was talking about a tuned GTE swap.
um I thought you were talking about modding the NA variant which is what vb22 was saying regarding his SC300.

Prius_F_Sport

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ohh ok
Anyway, can we piece apart the latest Tada interview? Just getting back on topic.

Blupra

First Name
Blu
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW M2 and Honda S2000 - both 6MT
..goes against what Tada-san stated regarding an i6 being vital for this project to be considered a Supra. As a base engine, why would the NA i6 need power and tuneability? It would be much like the base NA 2JZ and 7M i6s offered in the previous gens. Plus, there have been news worldwide regarding making regulatory laws less strict for manufacturers so it doesn't seem entirely farfetched. I would also think Toyota would want to limit as many powertrain configurations to keep overall reliability figures up and save costs on production & development especially if they are indeed contributing to the engine design.

And please, you're really asking about a 3 cyl...? Wrong forum :confused1:
perhaps but just like on the MK4, anyone who is serious about tuning gets the blown variant from the factory to start with..it isn't like the 2JZ-GE was very tuneable either, but that's sort of the point with a base engine..
I know others have hinted about no na 6, but if this car is as light as some think it'll be (~3000lbs) then a 330-360 hp na I6 would be an excellent engine for someone like me who doesn't plan on modding the car much. My old 911 was 345hp and 3200 lbs, plenty fast and nimble. A Camry now has 300+ hp, it shouldn't be hard for Toyota to do it if they wanted to.

Reactions: HKz

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
My Supra has 10.5:1 compression on a GTE lol. Wish I could go higher, high comp+boost is fantastic.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
it was and still is the latest fad...

10:5:1 on e85 being the most common I've seen. it also translates to crazy tq figures and some pretty epic driveability out of boost. I have a few buddies that have been running high power, high compression setups for years now without issue.

It's just like anything else, gotta keep everything maintained and use race gas/e85 only.

Reactions: HKz

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
fantastic for power indeed, still interested in reliability ^^
There are no real reliability concerns from having a higher static compression ratio per se. The idea is to better manage effective compression, which is the actual compression seen in the cylinder [((Boost PSI / 14.7) + 1) * Static CR].

The only thing that would be a concern for reliability is knock/preignition, but that comes down to managing fuel delivery (which is not a problem in this world of DI/D4S) and ignition timing (which is also not a problem in the world of modern ECUs).

The added benefits are paramount in my opinion, with much more torque produced for less overall boost pressure, which means less stress on your head and valvetrain, as well as far more area under the curve. Not to mention efficiency increases. Manufacturers of modern turbo engines are taking advantage of this now with Direct Injection, but all my old motor builds are def higher comp going forward thanks to modern engine management.

Prius_F_Sport

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My Supra has 10.5:1 compression on a GTE lol. Wish I could go higher, high comp+boost is fantastic.
ECU remap with that on-the-fly reflasher for track days, normal days, or emissions-tests days. If you have that on your Supra...
By the way, how many HP does yours run?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.