Interviews with Chief Engineer Tetsuya Tada

Status
Not open for further replies.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
I've already said WAY too much and will likely regret it, but thankfully I am so far away from this project. plus, a bunch of other people are leaking the details from the Plano dealer meeting (which isn't super high level, but still).

I have not seen the production car without cladding; it has apparently been changed even in comparison to the GRMN race car, and I have not spoken with anyone that has detailed the final product.

I also cannot give any specific details on the car, but the general information is out there and that's what counts IMO.
Sponsored

SupraStew85

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1985 Supra (1jz vvti swap incoming) 2004 V8 4Runner
one last thing because I truly cant say anything further without really pissing some people off...

know how you guys wanted a new era 2JZ? Well :D

BOIIIIIIIIII you just made me all excited again. The cliffhangers you've given us is killing me lol.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I've already said WAY too much and will likely regret it, but thankfully I am so far away from this project. plus, a bunch of other people are leaking the details from the Plano dealer meeting (which isn't super high level, but still).

I have not seen the production car without cladding; it has apparently been changed even in comparison to the GRMN race car, and I have not spoken with anyone that has detailed the final product.

I also cannot give any specific details on the car, but the general information is out there and that's what counts IMO.
So expect to kick back, relax, and watch toyota try t o calm down the leaks from others in the business until it eventually arrives?

Sounds like a great plan.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
pretty much, but I don't expect the leaks to be of any real value... Even what I said is arguably not valuable, but I can't give away the details for a few different reasons. More just confirmation of what I already thought to be the case.

but yeah, I'd rather not anger TMS staff anymore than I possibly have (they are pretty chill, but still) and then there's the legal side.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
pretty much, but I don't expect the leaks to be of any real value... Even what I said is arguably not valuable, but I can't give away the details for a few different reasons. More just confirmation of what I already thought to be the case.

but yeah, I'd rather not anger TMS staff anymore than I possibly have (they are pretty chill, but still) and then there's the legal side.
So, on another note,

How's your new project going? Well?

Or slow enough to give us the deets. Thanks obviously for reviving hope in this forum. The only thing that sucks is that no one else will believe about this car cause they think it's DOA.

Can't convince htem without outing you, so, let's wait for the Car and Driver reviews

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
egh, is what it is and im glad im not revered because that element of doubt keeps people from taking me too seriously. if what I said was taken as gospel, people would post it on other sites and then I might have a problem on my hands.

as for the other project, I am now working on a few different Lexus projects and they are going well. I will say the atmosphere is a bit different in my current role, but I knew many of these people previously so nothing bad or surprising.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
egh, is what it is and im glad im not revered because that element of doubt keeps people from taking me too seriously. if what I said was taken as gospel, people would post it on other sites and then I might have a problem on my hands.

as for the other project, I am now working on a few different Lexus projects and they are going well. I will say the atmosphere is a bit different in my current role, but I knew many of these people previously so nothing bad or surprising.
I'm not going to ask what the project is about, but I have to ask this.

Will we be seeing a legitimate GT car in the Lexus lineup?

Cause honestly the RC350 looks beautiful but the performance is such...meh that I wished they worked on it a bit more. I recall you saying the LFA and LC500 is a test from LExus to trickle down that echnology and feel to their entire lineup.

boodjohn

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CAMSOIASNDW
turns out car does not have a B58 or S58 and is instead a totally new design, but I cannot give details aside from it being an I6 sourced from BMW.

I thought it was gonna end up being new architecture, but I thought it would be derived from an existing design; apparently it is not.
That is interesting to hear. I wonder why they would develop a new engine line for the Z5/Supra. The B55/S55(S58?) are the new corporate engines that they model all cars from. This will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Will Lexus USA kill off the Gs series line?

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
turns out car does not have a B58 or S58 and is instead a totally new design, but I cannot give details aside from it being an I6 sourced from BMW.

I thought it was gonna end up being new architecture, but I thought it would be derived from an existing design; apparently it is not.
one last thing because I truly cant say anything further without really pissing some people off...

11ilud.jpg

Now DON"T kill me and tell me there's a manual option as well all in one day...I'll be ready for that tomorrow :yes:

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm not going to ask what the project is about, but I have to ask this.

Will we be seeing a legitimate GT car in the Lexus lineup?

Cause honestly the RC350 looks beautiful but the performance is such...meh that I wished they worked on it a bit more. I recall you saying the LFA and LC500 is a test from LExus to trickle down that echnology and feel to their entire lineup.
there are essentially updates coming in the form of Fun, but I can't say anything further aside from the best people for the job are working on making things more exciting (at least in my section).

That is interesting to hear. I wonder why they would develop a new engine line for the Z5/Supra. The B55/S55(S58?) are the new corporate engines that they model all cars from. This will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Should definitely be interesting. I wish I could say more, but it's a neat platform that was clearly aimed at what everyone believes a Supra must have.

I'm not aware of any plans to discontinue the GS. Sales are down IIRC, but as an overall trend are still decent and within expectations.

11ilud.jpg

Now DON"T kill me and tell me there's a manual option as well all in one day...I'll be ready for that tomorrow :yes:
check the manual petition thread lol

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

I think you miss the post about A70TTR regarding 2JZ?
I love the optimism, but if that wasn't the case we would have definitely known by now and if the motors weren't shared testing would have been separate. The only possibility that what your sayings holds true is if Toyota individually develops there own trim which most likely would not launch at release. As for current launch cars and how much of them have been seen tested at BMW they are identical except for exterior design and coupe vs convertible. It just makes logical sense.
Get my coat son.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
Boy or boy.. Iā€™m reading such good stuff here today. I may have to ping myself to see if Iā€™m still sleeping or awake.

BrettS

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 gti
Vehicle Showcase
To me it would depend what other features come on the high power model. I have a feeling I will be looking at the top tier model when it comes purchase time.
Yeah same. I keep looking at it like a r35 gtr where no one modifies the nismo edition

SVHO

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 MX5 ND, 2019 Acura RDX
I like the one engine offering such as the 350z, Miata, S2000. Hate the idea of Mustang or other cars that offer too many engine options where the guys will ask you if this is a 5.0, 6cyc, GT, etc and it will keep most high school kids from owning them (keep the car more prestigious to own- yes I know its a Toyota but...).

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase

Soooo, somebody mentioned this to me in a hush hush way lol. They were like, the engineers have been constantly talking about strength and tuning potential, which is very uncharacteristic of something an OEM would talk about in this day and age. I know Tada-San talked about what he learned from the resurgence of tuning due to the 86, but I didn't really know to what extent he considered it.

But THIS^, I had no clue. This is very interesting information. I thought for sure we were getting a B58 with a Toyota head, but a new co-developed motor would be freaking awesome. The rear-facing timing system was always something that concerned me about the B58 that can't really be changed easily, so they better get rid of that lol.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.