Interviews with Chief Engineer Tetsuya Tada

Status
Not open for further replies.

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
A Detroit debut is highly doubtful. The NAIAS, despite its name, is really a 2nd-tier domestic show now, and I can't see any major Japanese automaker launching a new halo car there. BMW, VW, Porsche, Mercedes, and Audi aren't even showing up next year.
Sponsored

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
yea I also believe tokyo 2019 will be the launch mirroring the launch of the gt86 @ tokyo 2011..

being a japense company im sure theres a lot of conflict to keep any significant launches in their home country

ostatem3

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 M3
Vehicle Showcase
A Detroit debut is highly doubtful. The NAIAS, despite its name, is really a 2nd-tier domestic show now, and I can't see any major Japanese automaker launching a new halo car there. BMW, VW, Porsche, Mercedes, and Audi aren't even showing up next year.
We shall see I guess..

jdcalve

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TRD Pro
Sounds like the perfect opportunity to reveal Supra.

Prius_F_Sport

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'14 Subaru BRZ, '12 BMW M3
True.
But I'm calling Geneva 2019 because of three reasons:

1. It matches up with what we've been able to infer about release dates.
2. It's massive. Perfect place to reveal a car with such a massive following.
3. I feel like Tada wants to apologize for just giving us a racing concept and continually hiding stuff for almost 10 years until it's not even funny, punching us JDM people in the back as we all held our breath. What better than the exact same place?

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
True.
But I'm calling Geneva 2019 because of three reasons:

1. It matches up with what we've been able to infer about release dates.
2. It's massive. Perfect place to reveal a car with such a massive following.
3. I feel like Tada wants to apologize for just giving us a racing concept and continually hiding stuff for almost 10 years until it's not even funny, punching us JDM people in the back as we all held our breath. What better than the exact same place?
Lmao Tada-San doesn't need to apologize for anything. This is how this new sports car development works.

Prius_F_Sport

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lol I guess. But you get the point.

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
In the thread, Must Read the birth story of the FT-1 Concept, at the end the article posted by Supraboi it says;

Look beyond its motorsport additions, however, and the GR is pretty much what the Supra will look like when it hits showrooms in mid-2019.

rtoadyt

First Name
Reto
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
Anyone has any new spy pics/vids of the test mule? It has been very silent now:(

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
I got a question, how different is the 124 from the Miata?
Skin: different body panels and lights except doors, mirrors, glass and roof
Under the skin: different engine and transmissions, settings and calibration
Interior: the same everything except upper dashboard mold and door panels, same layout but different design instrument cluster, Mazda key for Fiat

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Skin: different body panels and lights except doors, mirrors, glass and roof
Under the skin: different engine and transmissions, settings and calibration
Interior: the same everything except upper dashboard mold and door panels, same layout but different design instrument cluster, Mazda key for Fiat
Also: Seats are different, nicer ribbed seats on the 124. And the 124's manual transmission is from the previous-generation Miata. I think the auto trans is a shared component as well.

Prius_F_Sport

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
In the thread, Must Read the birth story of the FT-1 Concept, at the end the article posted by Supraboi it says;

Look beyond its motorsport additions, however, and the GR is pretty much what the Supra will look like when it hits showrooms in mid-2019.
True, minus the diffuser, GTE wang, fender flares, racy paint, and a totally different interior.
Otherwise, it looks pretty close.

Anyone has any new spy pics/vids of the test mule? It has been very silent now:(
I guess the best we have are some month-old spy shots.
Anyway, sticking a bunch of renderings in a time capsule and opening it in like 3 years could be a nice idea.

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
Did he say that on this forum? I dont recall ever seeing that...seems wrong based on; rumours the production has been seen by some, production is to start in 2018, and reveal of some nature to come after the reveal of the Z4 this summer...

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Just got an update on the car from Toyota USA source:

Sub 3000lb curb weight confirmed for production car, carbon roof is standard, and worldwide release is in April 2019.

Covered these forever ago, but nice to see the information is still accurate (though not shocking this late in development). Also, looks like production may indeed begin in the November/December 2018 window as originally reported.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.