Interviews with Chief Engineer Tetsuya Tada

Status
Not open for further replies.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
well, the two guys from the European dealer meeting did say that Akio said it was a new Toyota designed motor... I took what they said with a grain of salt at the time, but I also figure that I'm not exactly saying anything new because of that either.

in other words, the secret isn't so much that the motor is new, it's what comprises said motor, and I'm definitely not commenting on that period.

please dont hurt me, TMS staff. lol
Sponsored

Last edited:

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
well, the two guys from the European dealer meeting did say that Akio said it was a new Toyota designed motor... I took what they said with a grain of salt at the time, but I also figure that I'm not exactly saying anything new because of that either.

in other words, the secret isn't so much that the motor is new, it's what comprises said motor, and I'm definitely not commenting on that period.

I just hope this is the immediate and only reaction for anyone who pops the hood

raw.gif

boodjohn

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CAMSOIASNDW
turns out car does not have a B58 or S58 and is instead a totally new design, but I cannot give details aside from it being an I6 sourced from BMW.

I thought it was gonna end up being new architecture, but I thought it would be derived from an existing design; apparently it is not.

So, this new engine will be a completely new engine. Designed by Toyota and sourced/manufactured by BMW.
Being it is subbed 3000 lbs with +400hp makes me happy...Just concerns with the equipment and safety add ons vehicles must possess to make it road legal.

Do you know if this engine will be used anywhere else in the toyota family line up? 4runner, landcruiser?

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
You know what, this makes the NA I6 base model rumor make a lot more sense now. If Toyota is developing this new motor to have better control over engineering and reliability/serviceability, then having a fully BMW I4 as the base model would essentially nix that entire endeavor for 30-50% of the Supras on the road because they would have full Bimmer I4 running gear. By making a new motor in NA and Turbo guises, they can have a base model and turbo model fully under their engineering control.

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
You know what, this makes the NA I6 base model rumor make a lot more sense now. If Toyota is developing this new motor to have better control over engineering and reliability/serviceability, then having a fully BMW I4 as the base model would essentially nix that entire endeavor for 30-50% of the Supras on the road because they would have full Bimmer I4 running gear. By making a new motor in NA and Turbo guises, they can have a base model and turbo model fully under their engineering control.
Except there's this:
the 4cyl thing is still being developed surprisingly (Toyota isnt really involved I guess), there is no NA I6, and BMW has no idea which motor they want to offer or if multiple.

Nurburgring

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
911 Turbo, M3 E46, Turbocharged NA Miata, S2000, Mazda FC3S & FD3S, EP91 Starlet, EK9 Type R, EG6 Sir2, AE86, 3SGE AE86, Evo7RS, F3 race car
Thanks for the info A70TTR. This is very interesting.

I wasn’t optimistic about weight, being a BMW platform, I figured around 3300pounds. Sub-3000 is just phenomenal for this day and age! Not far from the S2000, wow. Sounds almost too good to be true.

Regarding the engine, even a stock B58/S58 would have been good, but an even better version? Awesome. Hopefully they will get rid of the valvetronic lift-controlled engine load so we can run a huge cam and 9000rpms hehe.

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
Wow, I am late this forum, what a day! Still trying to process everything that was said and the replies...

First off, A70 thanks so much for sharing, we needed this, and I am so excited again about this car and what it will be. I know nothing is finalized and maybe this is just new excitement talking, but the Supra looks like it will seriously turn some heads, and have an impact in the market not unlike what the 2009 GT-R did pissing off Porsche and other brands at the time, which was great to watch...

Toyota people - Be nice to A70 he is a good man with honest intentions only helping to build the brand and keep us engaged...

Toyota bashers and naysayers - Maybe you want take back some of your comments and change them to positives? Keep the faith Toyota will not less us down...

Anyway, cant wait to learn more, this journey just shifted gears ...:headbang:
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.