Interviews with Chief Engineer Tetsuya Tada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
while it isn't a surprise, it only makes it even more perplexing how they decide these things.
Exactly.

Then again, a manual on a toyota roughly in 15-24k is better than a 50k manual.

SupraStew85

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1985 Supra (1jz vvti swap incoming) 2004 V8 4Runner
But will it have TSS ? If so there is that much more of an argument on the enthusiast side that if Toyota can develop their safety systems to work with a manual in their existing lineup, then it could also be feasible for doing so with the new supra for less then the projected cost ?

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
Exactly.

Then again, a manual on a toyota roughly in 15-24k is better than a 50k manual.
Meh, if Toyota is so concerned with their return on the Supra project why don't they offer the manual trans as an extra option that a consumer would have to pay more for much like how most automatic trans are at a premium on models that offer a stick on their base models..

I would be willing to bet that even if Toyota bumped up the cost by several thousand in order to sell us a variant with a stick there would still be plenty of folks willing to fork over the cash and Toyota gets more money in their pockets, win for everyone..

Jeff Lange

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AE86, GSE21
But will it have TSS ? If so there is that much more of an argument on the enthusiast side that if Toyota can develop their safety systems to work with a manual in their existing lineup, then it could also be feasible for doing so with the new supra for less then the projected cost ?
Yes, the new Corolla Hatchback will have a 6MT and TSS 2.0 and AEB, but the problem is the cost of developing that system for the Supra and any BMW components may outweigh the gains. It's all about the bottom line.

The problem is not that it can't be done, the problem is that they may not want to spend the money to do it. They need convincing that it's worth doing.

Jeff

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
No it's only died because now that Geneva has come and gone, there is no new news, and probably won't be for a bit.
Certainly less info now that A70 departed (although I am sure he checks here from time to time) but we miss his insight and updates. Having said that, I agree we are all desperate for some new info as we have not had much...and regurgitating the same stuff...

Someone please send us some existing new stuff...keep us interested....:)

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yes, the new Corolla Hatchback will have a 6MT and TSS 2.0 and AEB, but the problem is the cost of developing that system for the Supra and any BMW components may outweigh the gains. It's all about the bottom line.

The problem is not that it can't be done, the problem is that they may not want to spend the money to do it. They need convincing that it's worth doing.

Jeff
If there is ever a second generation, maybe Toyota makes their own inline 6?

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
Again, when Toyota asked MKIV owners if an I6 was necessary, I doubt they were asked "Would you rather have an I6 for the sake of heritage even if it's a BMW I6, or is a Toyota V6 ok?" and I REALLY doubt they were told that the BMW I6 meant that compromises had to be made, specifically in relation to a manual transmission. I think most would have gladly accepted a Toyota V6 with Toyota transmission options.

decryphe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1984 AE86 Trueno GT-Apex 2-door, and a Camry
Again, when Toyota asked MKIV owners if an I6 was necessary, I doubt they were asked "Would you rather have an I6 for the sake of heritage even if it's a BMW I6, or is a Toyota V6 ok?" and I REALLY doubt they were told that the BMW I6 meant that compromises had to be made, specifically in relation to a manual transmission. I think most would have gladly accepted a Toyota V6 with Toyota transmission options.
What's bothering me more is that, why didn't they take the BMW engine and combine it with a Toyota ECU? Most hackjob tuners manage to wire up aftermarket ECUs to whatever, so why didn't Toyota? It's not like they didn't extensively tune and modify the BMW ECU...

Jeff Lange

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AE86, GSE21
This is true. Toyota V6 and Manual would win over BMW I6 and Auto for sure.

Jeff

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I would also assume most were probably thinking Inline 6 as in a new 3JZ for the new Supra...which I guess could still happen in some way maybe??? We'll know once Toyota finally blows off the lid on this car.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Very good point! The general Supra enthusiast was probably assuming that the drivetrain would be a Toyota drivetrain, and not a collaboration. Had the enthusiasts known, I am sure they would have added, “as long as it’s a Toyota inline six.”

One a different note, I was thinking about the whole 50/50 weight distribution of the MKV Supra. To sit a straight six really low and far back for good weight distribution, making the car really low, and short wheelbased, and considering the inline six long hieght design...I am betting the hood on the MKV Supra will have a bulge on it like the 350Z HR, E90 M3, etc... to clear the top of the motor.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.