supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
https://kuruma-news.jp/post/86263

20180309_toyota_sup_002.jpg

Toyota, "SUPRA" two conditions and that it is an inline 6-cylinder FR drive

Results that responded to many voices of the world wishing for resurgence.

At the famous international car show held in Geneva, Switzerland, Toyota announced the "GR Supra Racing Concept".

Supra is a sports car representing Toyota, it was stopped production in 2002. That will be the first time in 16 years.

Supra has long been a popular model to drive Toyota's sports image and has continued to advance in the world of motor sports.

He also shined the championship at the All Japan GT Championship and also played an active part in Germany's harsh race, Nürburgring 24 hours. As an individual (Takayuki Kinoshita), I fought with the steering of that machine, so I have a deep emotion.

There are lots of surprises in this announcement. One of them is that the name "SUPRA" was reinstated.

I talked to Mr. Tetsuya Tada who is the development manager. What is the definition of Supra in the first place?

"There are two conditions for Supra to be SUPRA: there is two conditions, one is to drive FR, the other is to install an in-line 6 cylinder engine, so we have been developing with this combination from the beginning "

How do you feel about the resurrection this time?

"Toyota has revived 86 and gained popularity, from that time a lot of people from the world made love calls to SUPRA, and we responded to that feeling." A full-fledged Toyota brand sports car is sought It was being done. Production cars capable of running on public roads are expected to be announced in the autumn of 2018.

There was a big surprise in Supra development

Actually, this model has a big sub-rise. It is a jointly developed car with BMW of Germany with a reputation in the development of a touring car.

The engine is equipped with inline six cylinders that BMW is good at. The backbone of the platform is also designed jointly with BMW.

"By developing in collaboration with BMW, it became possible to tailor each other's good points, the speed of development will also increase and we can also reduce the cost" Mr. Tetsuya Tada

BMW It seems that this packaging will be used to release an open car called Z4. The door has adopted a hatchback style in which the rear gate opens widely, with two doors on the left and right.

Although the engine is estimated, it is rumored that 3-liter in-line 6 cylinders and a high-power specification with a turbocharger incorporated in the 3-liter engine are prepared.

If that is the reality, it will be a model that has more power and higher speed than 86.

The surprising chain reaction will continue, Le Mans 24 Hours race! What?

There are other surprises. Before mass-produced cars were announced, racing cars were announced.

Generally, mass production cars are first announced, followed by racing carr who remodeled mass-produced cars to start running the circuit. However, this time, mass-produced cars are not released at all, but the racing car first debuted. That is unusual.

Moreover, SUPRA is developed in accordance with the provision of LM - GTE which can participate in Le Mans 24 hours as well.

"We chose the LM-GTE regulation because the range of remodeling is wide, so I chose this category because I wanted to remodel thoroughly, but when I tried to increase the fighting power of a racing car, I wish I had done this at the stage of ... Because it is because we develop racing cars in advance, we will work on mass-produced cars in advance, "Mr. Tetsuya Tada) In fact It is not announced whether to participate in the game, but already the scenario to win has been completed.

It was a very popular model at the venue of the Geneva show. There was always a crowd of people in Kuroyama around the machine. There is no doubt that it will be the center of the topic of the future.
Sponsored

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
if that's the case, i'll be watching!

But it won't be easy, we've got Aston Martin(with last year's team), Ford Performance(with last year's team), Chevy(they are dangerous with Jordan Taylor),Porsche(they are persistent), BMW(M8)

......and Ferrari

Prius_F_Sport

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'14 Subaru BRZ, '12 BMW M3
if you been looking at the trims for different cars lately, we usually get AWD and topped out trims. We get less options then US market for sure, but we tend to get higher trim levels.
*cough cough* '11 Honda Odyssey EX *cough cough*

Prius_F_Sport

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
That is kinda blurry...
But I would really like to see what the Japanese magazines say about this.

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
Would be curious also, and the date of it, as one of those Japenese magazines leaked the pics and some specs before Geneva...

Prius_F_Sport

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Then again, that is kinda expected...
The last Supra, the RX-7, the Skyline, and a whole parking lot of different Kei cars lasted longer in Japan than in the US, so it makes sense that they would know a little more about this than us.

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
Another poorly translated article via Google.

https://toyokeizai.net/articles/-/214268

Toyota "Supra" unknown back side until the resurrection
Follow traditional FR · straight 6 engine layout

The resurgence of the sports car "SUPRA" which Toyota Motor had sold until 2002 was approaching. In the Geneva Motor Show held in Switzerland in March, the racing car "GR SUPRA RACING CONCEPT", which seems to be based on the next generation SUPRA that is the fifth generation, was demonstrated and brought about the topic of the automobile industry.

I will consider the resurrection of Supra with its history
The announcement of the next Supra commercial model is said to be this autumn. I would like to consider the restoration of such Supra along with its history.

In 1978, the model which extended the front nose of the second generation Celica was equipped with the in-line 6 cylinder engine was the first SUPRA (Japan name: Celica XX). It was developed based on the demand of the North American market, but the first generation (A 40/50 series) was a standing position model called a luxury GT car rather than a sports car.

The second generation (A60 series) that appeared in 1981, although the standing position of Celica's senior model is unchanged, the original concept was changed to Soarer and changed to a sporty line. The exterior adopted a retractable headlight to enhance its identity, and suspension development was entrusted to Lotus, which appealed to the goodness of running. The specification for overseas was characterized by an over fender not for Japan.

img_e69129aee5690a4cfe60918659133218263495.jpg

The third generation (A 70 series) that appeared in 1986 became an independent model from Celica, and it came to be said to Supra similarly to Japan for overseas as well. The basic component was shared with Soarer and the sports color was further enhanced. Homogenoge model "Turbo A" for touring car race is also available. In the final model, the advanced model powertrain was redesigned from the M type (3.0 L turbo) to the latest JZ type (2.5 L turbo), with the same in-line 6 cylinders.

The fourth generation (A80 series) that appeared in 1993 developed as a flagship of the Toyota sports car. It is also famous as a model trained in Nürburgring Germany, sticking to the basic performance thoroughly. Even though it is a high power FR, the level of controllability is still a level that is still usable, and it is currently being used as a training car for Toyota. He was also active in the world of motor sports, and has won four championships at the All Japan GT Championship / Super GT.

However, 2002 was not able to comply with the automobile exhaust gas regulations in FY2000, and production ended. Supra's history will close curtain here once. After that, "Celica" in 2006 and "MR-S" in 2007 were discontinued. Sports car disappeared from Toyota's lineup.

Activated the endangered crisis sports car market
Meanwhile, in 2012, "86" appeared in co-development of Toyota × Subaru. The car model number "AE86" of the sports model "Levin / Treno" of the "Corolla / Sprinter" sold by Toyota from 1983 to 1987 was taken as the origin of the car name. Lightweight FR (rear wheel drive) sports, which inherited the spirit of AE86, made a huge hit worldwide, revitalizing the Japanese sports car market which was in danger of extinction.

img_d7d3a7f32131cfe6e8474b331a3ac2c6430730.jpg

Mr. Tetsuya Tada, development manager, flew around the world for launch of each country starting with the release in Japan, but while holding a test drive meeting for Europe in Spain, Mr. Takeshi Uchiyamada of the current president "We went to Munich in Germany, but without being noticed by anyone" he said he received a secret order.

The development manager inevitably disappeared in the midst of the test rally, so it seems to be a big fuss on the site, but the secret mission at this time was the first step towards the project of joint development with BMW and sports car.

Originally it was said that the plan of the pure sports car which becomes 86 big brothers was the origin, but when going to various countries around the world at the 86 events, "Is not Supra resurrected?", "Love calls like 86 after Supra!" It was said that it was supposed to respond to that feeling.

The BMW "Z4" which is already brotherly cars appeared at the Frankfurt Motor Show last year. The trend of SUPRA was attracting attention, but the concept model was unveiled at the Geneva Motor Show this time as mentioned above. It is surprising that it was not a commercial model but a racing car. Incidentally, the number of bibs is "90", which is the fifth generation (A90 type).

A genuine racing car
"It is not a mimic image but an authentic racing car that we developed at TMG (Toyota Motorsport Limited Company) in Germany based on LM-GTE (one of the racing car's vehicle regulations). As it is a model, it is fine to just look, but we also do spot welding and roll cage.

There are also good reasons for this. Until now, when tailoring to mass production car → racing car, it was only to regret saying "I should have done this at the stage of mass production car", but by first tailoring the racing car, it is possible to give good feedback to mass production vehicles is"

The development of SUPRA is in charge of "Racing company" which is a racing company, but the part that trains the car through motor sports ... is also appearing in such places.

However, what is one thing to worry about is not the FIA - GT 3 which can participate in the world motorsport category, was it tailored to LM - GTE specifications?

Mr. Tada says "It is useful for development due to the wide range of remodeling," but it is probably an indication of commitment to Toyota's "Le Mans 24 Hours". This year we will also announce WEC participation and aim to win Le Mans 24 hours, but it is probably also considering entering categories based on commercial cars rather than top category aiming for overall victory. Yes, just like Porsche.

The exterior adopts the traditional FR proportion of Long Nose & Short Deck. Although a wide fender, a large wing, a rear diffuser etc. are subjected to racing modification, the front mask and the rear fender etc. are not reticent but the design which draws the flow of the 4th generation, the design commonality with the BMW Z4 concept There is no. The body size gets a compact impression when looking, but it is almost equivalent to the 4th generation with full length 4575 × full width 2048 × total height 1230 mm, wheel base 2470 mm.

Items unnecessary for the race are removed and interior items are incorporated for various racing items. You can see the instrument panel top and the center monitor (for backward confirmation), but it is difficult to predict the commercial model from here. However, it differs from successive Supra in that it has 2 seater specifications without the back seat.

"Basic features are important for sports cars So far Toyota has included too many requirements in sports cars too, and there were also reflections that resulted in halfway models, so this time it is the best as pure sports We prioritized the wheelbase / tread layout so it was divided into 2 seater. "

Points inherited from successive Supra
By the way, the points which inherited from the successive SUPRA are two points, "FR drive" and "in-line 6 cylinder engine". Although no specific specifications have been announced for the powertrain, it will be equipped with a 3L turbo engine of around 350 to 400 horsepower when estimated from the BMW engine lineup. There is a lot of rumor that the transmission is setting only 2 pedals (DCT?!), But the possibility of 3 pedal MT is not zero.

Toyota has announced that it will deploy electrically-powered vehicles to all models by 2025, but this next Supra may be the last Toyota car with only a pure engine. It seems that the weight of the car is finished considerably lightweight by applying the carbon technology cultivated at i8 / i3.

Mr. Tada has experienced joint development between Toyota × Subaru, 86 and Toyota × Daihatsu, Passo but how about this joint development of Toyota × BMW?

"When I jointly developed the Subaru BRZ with Toyota 86, I thought that was" serious", but this time it's not that ratio.The approach to making a car is of course nothing different from culture, so at the beginning of the development it's gorgeous. Although I had sometimes, I am building a very good relationship now by tightly communicating with honoring the true intention of "what kind of car I want to do." In that sense, "Izakaya talk" and "people "The connection between the world is common"

The benchmark is Porsche. He seems to aim for a sports car as an industrial product, not as a work of art. Toyota sports flagship, Supra is a bit more persistent.

Hoss57

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2000 Z28 A4 cammed & stalled full bolt-ons. 1999 Formula M6 stock
"Mr. Tada says "It is useful for development due to the wide range of remodeling," but it is probably an indication of commitment to Toyota's "Le Mans 24 Hours". This year we will also announce WEC participation and aim to win Le Mans 24 hours, but it is probably also considering entering categories based on commercial cars rather than top category aiming for overall victory. Yes, just like Porsche."

So, does this mean the Supra GTE-Pro car(s) may debut at the 24hrs of Le Mans? I think it's possible that Toyota has worked on the race car as a priority rather than the road car since it is explicit that the road car is a derivarive of the race car.

Also, is the reference to Porsche at the end talking about selling the race car to privateer teams with factory support? Porsche does this. This would allow the car to compete in the WEC for the 2019 season in GTE-AM as their chassis must be at least 1 year old.

Am I just wishfully thinking? Something lost in translation?

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
"Mr. Tada says "It is useful for development due to the wide range of remodeling," but it is probably an indication of commitment to Toyota's "Le Mans 24 Hours". This year we will also announce WEC participation and aim to win Le Mans 24 hours, but it is probably also considering entering categories based on commercial cars rather than top category aiming for overall victory. Yes, just like Porsche."

So, does this mean the Supra GTE-Pro car(s) may debut at the 24hrs of Le Mans? I think it's possible that Toyota has worked on the race car as a priority rather than the road car since it is explicit that the road car is a derivarive of the race car.

Also, is the reference to Porsche at the end talking about selling the race car to privateer teams with factory support? Porsche does this. This would allow the car to compete in the WEC for the 2019 season in GTE-AM as their chassis must be at least 1 year old.

Am I just wishfully thinking? Something lost in translation?
while it wouldn't be surprising to see it race at Le Mans, think Toyota has already confirmed they will be racing the Supra long before production starts selling. Historically they have done this for their past sports car legends most recently with the LFA & 86..

Hoss57

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2000 Z28 A4 cammed & stalled full bolt-ons. 1999 Formula M6 stock
In my opinion there is no better venue to launch a sporting model than the 24 Hours of Le Mans. It is the Superbowl of sports car racing and the media coverage will be significant. On top of that many enthusiast buyers and owners watch the event even if they don't watch another all year.

I wonder if there will be a featurette before the green flag drops. Super slow motion shots of the GRLM lifting an inside front wheel mid corner, flames spitting out the pipe at corner exit. Tire walls flexing, track marbles flying, and then the playback violently goes normal speed as the pressurized straight 6 screams and crackles into a gear change. Screen goes black, engine note echoes... text appears: it's back and you're all on notice.

Eh, who knows!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.