kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase
I would like to point out that although it says the engines are shared, he also says the tunes are different. Also mentioned is a late redesign of the engine which could be the B58 derived CGI block that has been mentioned by our lord and savior A70TTR.

I also noted that the he mentions a geared differential which to me would likely be the same unit used in Lexus F cars or BMW M’s which produce a similar adaptive on-throttle response.

Lastly, I hope that the inline 4 is available in most markets as I think a lower budget Supra would be better for overall sales and for the enthusiast who does not want to spend such a large amount of money such as myself.

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
The Z4 has multiple engines(3 at last count)and the top rated engine is the one rated at 380hp. The Supra is supposedly not getting that engine.
Technically yes, but the 335hp is EU only. While the 382hp is the US spec.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
Lastly, I hope that the inline 4 is available in most markets as I think a lower budget Supra would be better for overall sales and for the enthusiast who does not want to spend such a large amount of money such as myself.
The way it is written makes it sound like its not coming to the US.

costs of a larger engine can be prohibitive in ownership (Europe) or registration costs (Japan).

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
“It really was a coincidence that BMW was the only maker still producing a straight six engine, and our legendary Supra was also a car laureled on our flagship inline-six at the time”

How expensive would it have been for Toyota to build their own six cyl engine? This all could have gone so different...

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
“It really was a coincidence that BMW was the only maker still producing a straight six engine, and our legendary Supra was also a car laureled on our flagship inline-six at the time”

How expensive would it have been for Toyota to build their own six cyl engine? This all could have gone so different...
I'm not sure, but I read it cost Toyota over a billion dollars to develop the 1UZ.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
Most likely very expensive lol. If it weren't for BMW they would have probably just shoved in a V6 and built it on the N platform. At least that's what it sound like from the FT-HS' press release.

https://toyota.pressroom.com.au/press_release_detail.asp?clientID=2&prID=3115&navSectionID=2

A powerful V6 3.5-litre engine is coupled with a 21st century sports hybrid system with a target power output of approximately 400-horsepower.
View attachment 2314

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
It's insanely expensive which is why they try to develop motors they can share across platforms, and as we've seen across brands as well.

You should see the tally for the LFA motor...

SS900

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Supra twin turbo
It's insanely expensive which is why they try to develop motors they can share across platforms, and as we've seen across brands as well.

You should see the tally for the LFA motor...
Initial investment is very high but overtime the tech gets into other applications and thats where the initial investment starts paying itself back with interest. It’s called an investment after all, not an expense.

adprokid

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
--

Toyota still produces a straight six for the 7FG/7FD series forklifts.

SPMS

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rc-F, 350z-TT, G2 Raptor
Vehicle Showcase
I can hear it now, my forklift has the same motor as the new Supra :rofl:. I know that's not the bases of your comment, just a funny thought.

The difference with Toyota using this new motor vs using something they develop on their own and to stay profitable; is that the JZ family motors were used in multiple cars across Toyota and Lexus lineup. Where as this current motor is only in Supra, that we know of. Unless Lexus is using it to bring out the SC variant. So, it makes sense to work with another manufacture to bring this motor to the Supra. If Toyota was going to use it in 2-3 other cars, then developing their own may have been the route to go. Just my thoughts.

upnsmoke

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota MR2 GT, Nismo 370Z , Subaru Liberty Outback
Engine development is probably the most expensive bit of the car, mostly due to the sheer amount of parts, the risks so the engineering and evaluation takes a long time.

Driveline and chassis come next.... then the body.

Engine in itself is a machine so is its own project/development.... and for a chief engineer to even get a nod to develop a new one would require a lot of sales potential or some sort of "must have" to progress... hence engines are 10-15 years per iteration... and most last 20 years with minor tweaks...
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.