Interviews with Chief Engineer Tetsuya Tada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stanri010

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
IS300
great article. i think there is a chance toyota uses the B58 bottom end and a 6 cylinder version of the 8AR-FTS head. besides their ubiquitous valvetronic and the S55-like closed deck, i dont see anything too spectacular from the B58. on the other hand, toyota uses D4S, VVTi-E that allows otto/atkinson cycles, integrated turbo manifold, etc. if it turns out that bmw is just an I6 block donor, then this engine is as close to a "toyota engine" as we will get. the 86 with it's boxer D4S engine is similarly a "toyota engine" to me.
Oh god, reading that article makes me terrified of a BMW x40i B58 engine. Vanos are in the BACK against the firewall so it's impossible to replace without pulling the entire engine D:

Please oh please make the supra a 3.5L TT Toyota engine and not a BMW engine...
Sponsored

mas921

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Several RWD's
wasn't the A60 actually called Celica Supra? :p the article speculates the name is reserved for an TNGA FWD coupe. a "camry coupe" would be just that

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
I hope they arenā€™t doing the lower model as Celica and the higher spec as the Supra :(
I was also thinking that. In past threads other members also speculated that maybe the 4 banger version would be sold as the Celica and the 6 cylinder model as the Supra.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
wasn't the A60 actually called Celica Supra? :p the article speculates the name is reserved for an TNGA FWD coupe. a "camry coupe" would be just that
Yes, Toyota USA had the bright idea to call a specific trim level of the Celica the Celica Supra.

Toyota Japan however, the one that counts, never had a Celica Supra (it was Celica XX). So, Iā€™ve always felt strongly that the true Supras are the 70/80 series with lineage extending to the Celicas.

mas921

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Several RWD's
Yes, Toyota USA had the bright idea to call a specific trim level of the Celica the Celica Supra.

Toyota Japan however, the one that counts, never had a Celica Supra (it was Celica XX). So, Iā€™ve always felt strongly that the true Supras are the 70/80 series with lineage extending to the Celicas.
am aware of so, was being just being sarcastic.
yeah i totally agree that the A70/80 are THE supras we know of.

Chikane

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hmm What AM I driving?
Hmm I dunno guys, on topic of a FWD coupe revival there really isn't a market for FWD coupe just look out there everything dead the only thing remaining is the civic coupe and those don't even sell well. Everything else has been cancelled and there no demand for it. interesting idea with the celica name as a lower trim though although I cant imagine a celica costing more then the 86.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Only time will tell. I just heard they have also renewed ā€˜MR2.ā€™

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My understanding from the Toyota USA marketing guys is that the S-FR was shelved due to the segment it was set to fall into.

It was going to compete with the S660 etc in Japan, but after they saw the sales numbers for that and others it failed to materialize.

madfast

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Evo X
i think toyota is just trying to keep the name "celica". likewise i've always doubted the ft1 being called "supra"... if it does, it'll be like the new nsx, it'll never live up to its legendary name.

mas921

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Several RWD's
My understanding from the Toyota USA marketing guys is that the S-FR was shelved due to the segment it was set to fall into.

It was going to compete with the S660 etc in Japan, but after they saw the sales numbers for that and others it failed to materialize.
Really?! i prefer a new MR2 over that S-FR concept; but am kinda sad the S660 isn't selling that well in Japan. really hope i can get to drive one someday.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Really?! i prefer a new MR2 over that S-FR concept; but am kinda sad the S660 isn't selling that well in Japan. really hope i can get to drive one someday.
well, the initial run of S660s sold out and sales were awesome for the first year. like with anything though, its more about how it looks over time.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.