Vimugsy011

Vimugsy011

First Name
Mugsy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
how is manual launch compare to using launch control?
As soon as you add some mods launch control is not viable with stock tires, the spin is insane. I do wonder how well it works with a drag radial though.
Sponsored

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
As soon as you add some mods launch control is not viable with stock tires, the spin is insane. I do wonder how well it works with a drag radial though.
That sounds like Launch Control is pre-programed for specific tire & power. Meaning, it will always rev at specific RPM regardless and engage powertrain without learning... I wonder if you use inferior tires /w stock power will result same crazy spin..

Sangeof

First Name
Sanju
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra A91 Refraction
I got rid of my stock PSS in less than 1k miles on car. They are terrible even for stock power. I just got E50 tune yesterday from Payn and even my te37sl on 305 width continental extremecontact sports are seeing their limits. Need to slap on my Mickey Thompson ET STREET R (305/45/17) on weld S71 beadlocks so I can really get the traction I need especially once I go full e85 with pure 800. Stay away from PSS no matter what the price point. Really overhyped tires. They are incredibly outdated and outclassed since middle of 2010s.

Reactions: zrk

serialbooper

First Name
Kyler
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra
what ever tires you end up going with, the nitto nt555r2 i would stay away from, they seemed to hold traction at first but quickly went out the window and dont even think about getting caught in a rain storm, almost totaled my car one day. same thing happened to my friend and his hellcat with the r2's. i run the falken rt660 now and they are fantastic so far, even had them at the drag strip and cut some good time with minimal spin. granted both these tires are technically in 2 different categories, but the nittos aren't worth it.

strohw

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 X3M, 2009 987.2, 2021 Supra
what ever tires you end up going with, the nitto nt555r2 i would stay away from, they seemed to hold traction at first but quickly went out the window and dont even think about getting caught in a rain storm, almost totaled my car one day. same thing happened to my friend and his hellcat with the r2's.
Well it is a 100TW drag tire with a tiny amount of siping. Personally, I wouldn't use anything more aggressive than what you're using now which is the 200TW extreme summer category. Even then I'd probably still go 1/2 a step up into a Sport Cup 2 or a Supercar 3 for slightly better wet traction.

serialbooper

First Name
Kyler
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra
Well it is a 100TW drag tire with a tiny amount of siping. Personally, I wouldn't use anything more aggressive than what you're using now which is the 200TW extreme summer category. Even then I'd probably still go 1/2 a step up into a Sport Cup 2 or a Supercar 3 for slightly better wet traction.
of course 100%. i just think its mind boggling the fact that nitto advertises it as a drag tire you can use on the weekends and rainy days lol. just putting it out there don't believe what is advertised. I shouldn't have listened to my tire guy at work and just went with what i know works.

Bundy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra A90, 2021 Subaru Outback
Ps4s, brake boost 2nd gear is working good for me.
On a side note, wider tires does not really help with straight line grip but with side grip.
Better compound and higher profile will help you with straight line grip.

wheeliedub

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Premium
I launch in 2nd @2000 with TCS completely off, manual mode selected, sport mode on. Donā€™t bother with the factory Launch Control or as I call it ā€œBurnout Modeā€. Best 60ā€™ I had with NT555Rs was a 1.7. Consistently about 1.8. Very little spin. Mods were downpipe, E50, intake, exhaust, MarinTuned.

For my new setup I will have to relearn launching, but Iā€™ll also be running drag radials and a lot more torque. Getting a clean launch in this car is pretty easy once you get used to itā€™s spin characteristics. A few bad launches and playing with the RPMS will get you where you need to be.

Sangeof

First Name
Sanju
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra A91 Refraction
I launch in 2nd @2000 with TCS completely off, manual mode selected, sport mode on. Donā€™t bother with the factory Launch Control or as I call it ā€œBurnout Modeā€. Best 60ā€™ I had with NT555Rs was a 1.7. Consistently about 1.8. Very little spin. Mods were downpipe, E50, intake, exhaust, MarinTuned.

For my new setup I will have to relearn launching, but Iā€™ll also be running drag radials and a lot more torque. Getting a clean launch in this car is pretty easy once you get used to itā€™s spin characteristics. A few bad launches and playing with the RPMS will get you where you need to be.
I have same mods as you except Payn tune and yes first gear is useless to launch in. I only had E50 tune for 2 days so far. I need to practice driving manual mode as it seems way better than sport mode in automatic. I think switching over to the Mickey Thompson ET street R will help me a lot. I just wonder how long those expensive mickeys will last for mostly street driving.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
I am curious how those fit, any rubbing issues with those I wonder, but 295s will definitely help with traction. Let me know how they work out.
The 295ā€™s work great! No more ECU shutting me down. They still spin for a brief moment but then hook up and go. Also no weird handling or rubbing up to 135 mph, on the track of course. ?

-RJM

275 vs 295
D23A8C12-A8E3-4E3E-96C1-32D86B2FBEFA.jpeg

FCFE05A5-2B92-4F49-80DC-B54FC4D49142.jpeg

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2016 Yamaha R1
The 295ā€™s work great! No more ECU shutting me down. They still spin for a brief moment but then hook up and go. Also no weird handling or rubbing up to 135 mph, on the track of course. ?

-RJM

275 vs 295
D23A8C12-A8E3-4E3E-96C1-32D86B2FBEFA.jpeg

FCFE05A5-2B92-4F49-80DC-B54FC4D49142.jpeg
So I read somewhere that 285's actually have a larger contact patch than 295's, is that true? Also I expected the 295's to bulge out more on stock wheels. I was considering upping to a 265/285 setup.
Sponsored