Longterm Heat Damage

Do you open the hood after parking your Supra?

• Total voters

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
I was wondering if I’m the only demented person that opens their hood after they get home from a spirited run.

This is something I’ve done for years with my turbo cars. Does anyone else do the same?

-RJM
Sponsored

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Fans continue running for a while to cool things down but opening hood can't hurt to vent.

For sure, during spirited runs, or standstill traffic under 120+F, things heat up especially with turbo and exposed to higher asphalt temperatures, rain, snow, dirt, etc. and the engine bay is rather sealed off to limit exposures and direct cool air where needed essentially making it a hot box. etc. etc.

In short, I guess I never thought of doing this and I'm not doing it.

Msoupe

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0, Civic Hatch, C10 Pickup
I open my hood after my sessions when I go autocrossing. Even then I would do a few cool down passes in the paddock before parking.

You shouldn't have to pop the hood when coming home unless you are racing down the street right up to your house.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I open my hood after my sessions when I go autocrossing. Even then I would do a few cool down passes in the paddock before parking.

You shouldn't have to pop the hood when coming home unless you are racing down the street right up to your house.
Well yeah, heat soak

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
I am with Msoupe. Hood gets popped after auto-x sessions only. When I do my normal mountain run, I will let it idle for a few minutes when I get home (fans are normally on) but dont pop the hood.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
I have a long-ish residential leg to my commute where I'm never above 2K RPM (much at 1K & 25mph) - still with a frustrating freeway hill climb leading up to that point and 114F+ temperatures... the fans have run for about 30 seconds after I let it idle for 30 or so entering the garage. Never bothered with cracking the hood though. Either it survives the warranty or gets replaced under it... after that, it's just a good excuse for upgrading to a Pure800 and rebuilding a few things.

Maybe naive of me, but considering the number of tuned BMWs (and everything else) tearing up the roads in Dubai, Kuwait, etc. - I figure it's in the calculus somewhere. So far this is looking like the summer to find out... not done with June and already 7 days over 110F. o_O

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Just running errands or putting around town, no. After spirited drives or track work, always. Not because of the paint, though, but just for a little additional help cooling things down from an internals perspective. In addition to letting the car idle for a bit (with the hood open). It's probably overkill with these cars, but I've always done it with forced-induction performance vehicles and was passed down to me genetically. ?

I probably care a lot less about what my car looks like than most on the forum.

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2016 Yamaha R1
I actually thought about starting to do this the other day, I really wish our hood vents were functional. I probably wont do this after coming home from work as I only live like 5 miles from my job but I will start leaving the garage door open for a few mins.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
To be fair it probably won't do much. I was logging Coolant Temp, Oil Temp, and IATs at a track day recently, and having the hood open between sessions had a marginal difference in how quickly it cooled down. The fans will continue to run for a while after the car is off, and no doubt having the hood open should help move air, but again, the logs didn't seem to change much.

These motors do have issues with intercooler heatsoak and high IATs at warmer track days but unfortunately the only way to solve it is going with a bigger heat exchanger or intercooler.

That being said, if it gives you peace of mind, do it! No harm in it, that's for sure. There really shouldn't be a difference in longevity if you don't though. Modern thermoplastics are more than capable of handling significant amounts of heat repeatedly. Hence why your radiator end tanks are plastic, your wastegate actuator is plastic, hell, many cars even have plastic oil pans now.

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2016 Yamaha R1
An upgraded heat exchanger is definitely in my future. Wouldn't be financially responsible of me to drop $4k+ right now on an intake manifold but that will most likely be the last mod I do to this car down the road.

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 / 2018 Mercedes GLC43 / 2016 VW GTI
When driving the car hard/aggressively … I always allow the engine to idle for a few minutes or so before shutting the car off.

Just feels like it’s best for the car to cool off a bit.

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
Item #2 is my main reason for somewhat disagreeing with the folks trying to figure out the high oil consumption by going to a thicker oil.........I totally understand the chemistry/physics behind switching to the thicker viscosity but the turbo is a very sound justification for the thin stuff. I can only imagine the cold startup conditions with a much heavier weight oil trying to make it's way through the oil passages and bearings of the turbo.

Nice link.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Item #2 is my main reason for somewhat disagreeing with the folks trying to figure out the high oil consumption by going to a thicker oil.........I totally understand the chemistry/physics behind switching to the thicker viscosity but the turbo is a very sound justification for the thin stuff. I can only imagine the cold startup conditions with a much heavier weight oil trying to make it's way through the oil passages and bearings of the turbo.

Nice link.
I been talking about this forever. lol The first weight you want as thin as possible to lubricate the turbo upon cold start up as fast as you can…..
Sponsored

Reactions: max