gtshnzr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Prem., 2015 Subaru XV, 2003 MINI JCW, 1972 TR6
Vehicle Showcase
Just for scientific accuracy. As we all know state to state, heck even city to city, the road, asphalt, re-pavement differs immensely. So A to B with uncalibrated/synced equipments won't be that accurate....
A lot depends on how the pavement tines are set up (concrete surface). Many places have diamond ground them down to reduce roads noise for homes near the highways
Sponsored

65sohc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
65 GTO, 69 Corvette, 65 Corvette 427, 23 Corvette
I don't know if this was already mentioned but try driving another Supra to see if it is the same. You obviously are a minority of one who thinks this car is excessively noisy.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
As others have mentioned there are a few factors contributing to road noise. The biggest one I’ve found is rough asphalt reverberating behind the seats. The car could definitely benefit from sound insulating material in that area. I plan to add a layer of Second Skin which is MLV (mass loaded vinyl) + closed cell foam.

This is different than Dynamat which helps deaden sound from vibration. Dynamat is great for car audio but does little against road noise.

RJM

Second Skin Luxury Liner Pro - 2 in 1 Sound Insulation for Cars - Mass Loaded Vinyl and Closed Cell Foam - MLV Noise Barrier Made in USA (2 Sheets) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AVMR45U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_7NHGP0BP4B7DNWDT7YED

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
@michaeljeff For fun i took a drive today and used my Apple Watch to measure the sound.

What i found was a few things.

1. The apple watch is a terrible measure of environment sound. I could easily hit over 80db with normal speaking.
2. Road conditions play a HUGE part in noise generated. Going from one freeway to another at 70 mph i found a almost 12db drop when i went onto a newer paved road vs one with a ton of cracks and mini potholes.
3. The Apple watch claimed an average of 79db on bad roads.
4. Did a test in my S2000, Apple watch claimed close to 85db on the same highway.

Conclusion. Get yourself some softer tires with a softer sidewall. I think that is what will help. Or in the future go with sports sedans as those tend to have better sound insulation.

fnord

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford Mustang GT
I'm very interested in a new Supra to replace my POS stang, but the noise issue is worrying me. I'm sensitive to noise, too. A test drive was inconclusive. I'm interested in how this works out.

65sohc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
65 GTO, 69 Corvette, 65 Corvette 427, 23 Corvette
Last Sunday I drove back and forth to the Shift Sector half mile races at the Coalinga Airport in central California. It is basically in the middle of nowhere and you endure every type of road surface to get there. As far as I am concerned noise inside the cabin was a non-issue.

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Make the Supra quieter? Is OP a weasel??!?

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
When you’re driving on cruise control for 8 hours, you don’t want to hear anything except your music and podcast in any car.

I don’t drive this Supra much, but if it’s just going to be a weekend car, I might rather have an LC convertible or 911 targa instead.
I love Porsche and consider them the benchmark. I have always owned them but they are getting too expensive. There is a new world order with cars like the 3.0 Supra and C8. And probably the new Z?

Cost wise and new to new. The only new Porsche comparable money wise to a new Loaded Supra is a BASE Cayman with ZERO options. While the base Cayman is a fine car with an unbelievably composed chassis it is under powered. The chassis is so capable it begs for more power. That's where the Cayman S comes in. The problem with the Cayman S is the cost of performance options. A Cayman S with performance options is about the same cost as a nicely loaded C8 with the Z51 package. Personally I would leap frog the base Cayman all day for a 3.0 Supra. I really love the Cayman S but I honestly would leap frog it for a C8 with Z51. I 'd go for Cayman GTS 4.0 over the C8 if the issues are resolved.

That 911 Targa is $150K+ with very modest options. Easily a $160K+ car with popular performance options. Super refined with exceptional performance. Expensive but worth it if you don't mind spending the coin.

Noise wise the C8 with magnetic suspension is unbelievably quiet and composed for what it is. A AMG or M-Car would be quieter too.

Last edited:
OP
OP

michaeljeff

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Phantom 3.0 Premium
I love Porsche and consider them the benchmark. I have always owned them but that are getting too expensive. There is a new world order with cars like the 3.0 Supra and C8. And probably the new Z?

Cost wise and new to new. The only new Porsche comparable money wise to a new Loaded Supra is a BASE Cayman with ZERO options. While the base Cayman is a fine car with an unbelievably composed chassis it is under powered. The chassis is so capable it begs for more power. That's where the Cayman S comes in. The problem with the Cayman S is the cost of performance options. A Cayman S with performance options is about the same cost as a nicely loaded C8 with the Z51 package. Pick you poison. Personally I would leap frog the base Cayman all day for a 3.0 Supra. I really love the Cayman S but I honestly would leap frog it for a C8 with Z51.

That 911 Targa is $150K+ with very modest options. Easily a $160K+ car with popular performance options. Super refined with exceptional performance. Expensive but worth it if you don't mind spending the coin.

Noise wise the C8 with magnetic suspension is unbelievably quiet and composed for what it is. A AMG or M-Car would be quieter too.
Yea, the plan is to upgrade to a 911 in the future.

Run some
More beefy tires. That should help alittle on road noise.
I think that’s what I plan on doing.

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
Yea, the plan is to upgrade to a 911 in the future.
Can't go wrong with a 911. Most Porsche dealers are very cool about test drives also. MUCH easier to get a test-drive in a Porsche than a Supra. LOL!

Have you considered sound insulating materials? You can do it yourself or have a car audio shop apply sound insulation or sound deadening material to your Supra. I have been in some cars before and after treatment. The results are substantial in most cases. If done correctly. I would say sound deadening materials and different tires will probably get you to acceptable noise levels. Tire Rack has tons of tire reviews. They take noise into consideration. Maybe even call and talk to a live sales person for their opinion. Good Luck.

Last edited:

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
I don't know if this was already mentioned but try driving another Supra to see if it is the same. You obviously are a minority of one who thinks this car is excessively noisy.
Or OP is more sensitive to certain frequencies?

Personally I thought the Supra was very quiet for what it is. As long as the windows are up. Lol. There was slight tire noise but that's expected for any car with wide low profile tires and sticky performance compounds.

geoszzz

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Launch Premium
just my own opinion, I've owned and driven coast to midwest and coast to coast U-Haul trucks, Nissan Zs, both touring and Nismo models and 280Zs as well as camrys...the Supra is more quiet than any of them; I figure it is actually your hearing is turned to a 'sensitive' level and needs an immediate medical intervention of some sort...either that or try ear muffs
Sponsored