Bryster

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
I’m curious how much power the MT can handle. I’m sure it’ll sell quickly the first several months. Until they find out the tranny is limited to 500 HP/TQ
Based on what we've heard, Toyota wants this MT to be a BIG BOI
Sponsored

REDL1NE

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1997 Supra
This is a big part of why I havent purchased yet. I would love to see a MT. Big MKIV guy, but with prices a bit insane, Id love to venture into the MKV world. Esp with a MT.

Sigg

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Mk5,Supra 2018 KTM SuperDuke, 21 sienna plat
The manual will be the same price as the Toyota BRZ. I heard this from my local Subaru dealer insider source.
Man that would actually be so funny. And kinda sad

Sigg

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Mk5,Supra 2018 KTM SuperDuke, 21 sienna plat
Based on what we've heard, Toyota wants this MT to be a BIG BOI
Very high chance it's the same 6 spd from the 440i etc. It's a decent tranny. I'd say expect the same journey as Kern from YouTube if modding the manual. Definitely gonna need some upgrades to make the big Boi power. The 8spd makes quite a lot without even a Pure upgrade. Well over 500/500 and very reliable.

Sub-MkV

First Name
Moses
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium Renaissance Red
I hope you guys who want a manual so badly put your money where your mouth is because as we all know TALK IS CHEAP! Don't make Toyota/BMW regret the decision after one year. What I can't stand to see is people bitching about something they won't buy if it's made.

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
I

I'm having trouble with choosing between logic or emotions...
That’s because you’re human. Science finally figured out that this is pretty normal and sometimes good. Your emotions might be telling you what choice will make you happiest. Of course, your emotions might be steering you to a horrible decision if you let them completely override thoughtful cognition.

the key is in listening to each without excluding either. Else….well look at all the disastrous boner-driven marriages out there. Just don’t be boner-driven on your car choice.

OP
OP
Bryster

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
I hope you guys who want a manual so badly put your money where your mouth is because as we all know TALK IS CHEAP! Don't make Toyota/BMW regret the decision after one year. What I can't stand to see is people bitching about something they won't buy if it's made.
THIS, I don't want Toyota to feel like they wasted resources developing the Manual after FINALLY caving in

GMsuperfan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 A91 Refraction, 68 Camaro SS, 17 GTI
THIS, I don't want Toyota to feel like they wasted resources developing the Manual after FINALLY caving in
Guys, I have to say this POV is pretty funny. First and foremost, Toyota like any public company has an obligation to be profitable by selling products people want and buy. Vehicle makers, especially Japanese makes, tend to be a bit more conservative with this and highly doubt that Toyota would offer the Supra in a manual if they didn’t believe it would be profitable at the end of the day. This is not a monumental change in the grand scheme of things. It’s likely BMW already have an OOTB solution for this from a gearbox perspective. Minor design change to the console area to accommodate the manual, minor structural changes needed for the manual, come ECU config updates..etc. It just doesn’t seem like a massive effort here. If the new Z is going to compete with the Supra from a price/performance perspective, the Z will win over more customers if the dealbreaker is a manual but at the end of the day, still way more folks buying auto boxes than manuals. If the manual does surface, props to Toyota for offering the buyers more options, ultimately this is a win for the community in whole.

goodshot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
New here. Been waiting on the sidelines watching the A90 and it's progression in a short life cycle.

The major blocker holding me back has been the manual.

dubz

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Range Rover Sport 5.0
New here. Been waiting on the sidelines watching the A90 and it's progression in a short life cycle.

The major blocker holding me back has been the manual.
Been following this car for many many years now… the manual has also been whats been holding me back. Have saved up a good bit of cash waiting though :)

GreyMadder

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Tungsten A90 Premium, 08 Tundra, 04 GX470

90% of the people complaining wont buy or cant afford one anyway believe that.

Racer365

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Infiniti G37s, Honda Ridgeline
I'll be getting my first Supra when the manual comes out. There should be a wave of cheap 3.0s when they start getting delivered. Daily driving a MT no longer sounds that fun to me but maybe a test drive can answer that curiosity.

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
Guys, I have to say this POV is pretty funny. First and foremost, Toyota like any public company has an obligation to be profitable by selling products people want and buy. Vehicle makers, especially Japanese makes, tend to be a bit more conservative with this and highly doubt that Toyota would offer the Supra in a manual if they didn’t believe it would be profitable at the end of the day. This is not a monumental change in the grand scheme of things. It’s likely BMW already have an OOTB solution for this from a gearbox perspective. Minor design change to the console area to accommodate the manual, minor structural changes needed for the manual, come ECU config updates..etc. It just doesn’t seem like a massive effort here. If the new Z is going to compete with the Supra from a price/performance perspective, the Z will win over more customers if the dealbreaker is a manual but at the end of the day, still way more folks buying auto boxes than manuals. If the manual does surface, props to Toyota for offering the buyers more options, ultimately this is a win for the community in whole.
The supply chain for this car = motor/gearbox is all BMW. The gearbox will be a BMW supplied unit made by ZF most likely and already in use. Toyota will 'tune' it to their liking as they did the chassis etc for the car. Nothing new at all about the manual in design or implementation.

Again 70+% of non USA M2's were sold with DCT. In the USA it was almost 50/50. Toyota will sell manuals to those who want them. Assuming those who want them make the buy.

I see no difference between manual mode of ZF8 or the 3rd pedal type. You decide the gear and engage it. When you get tired of it you go back to pure auto and enjoy the drive. Best of both worlds with ZF8 - modern tech.

Manuals to me are for small econobox hot hatches like the Abarth 500 etc. My 2010 Abarth 500 in Germany was total fun. My 17 M2 DCT was superb. Driving that in manual was outrageous. NO third pedal I had the past felt as visceral including the 3 Lotus Turbo's I had.

mmspider

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 2.0L(sold)
I know logically everyone wants to compare a Japanese sports car with another Japanese sports car. With the pricing of the Nissan Z starting even cheaper than a 2.0L Supra. My instincts tell me the quality of the Z has to be much lower. Even if Toyota dropped a manual into the Supra its still going to be more expensive. Auto or manual they will not be competitive with Z pricing wise. I think if Toyota drops a manual into this car its not necessarily because of the Z. Just my thoughts....
Sponsored