Manual Supra pricing

GMsuperfan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 A91 Refraction, 68 Camaro SS, 17 GTI
I know logically everyone wants to compare a Japanese sports car with another Japanese sports car. With the pricing of the Nissan Z starting even cheaper than a 2.0L Supra. My instincts tell me the quality of the Z has to be much lower. Even if Toyota dropped a manual into the Supra its still going to be more expensive. Auto or manual they will not be competitive with Z pricing wise. I think if Toyota drops a manual into this car its not necessarily because of the Z. Just my thoughts....
I'm not the first to say this, they will compete on pricing at certain levels....maybe base models on the Supra side with loaded and NISMO Z's, even more overlap if people are paying dealer markups. Toyota is also likely thinking that if someone is willing to blow $50-55K on a Z, they might spend another $3-8K to get into a Supra, which should outperform the Z. They likely wouldn't cross-shop if they wanted a manual in the Z and the Supra didn't have the option. An upsell with that small of a gap, even less of an issue typically with financing.....could work some people over to the Supra side of the fence. Time will tell. I've got the popcorn out.
Sponsored

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
I have a feeling it'll be more than the auto due to high demand and insanely low supply lower demand. Maybe even gate the manual behind a special edition like the CF and charge some massive price over the 3.0 premium, because, and this is key, they can and because someone will pay up.

Edit: fixed wording

Last edited:

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
I have a feeling it'll be more than the auto due to lower demand. Maybe even gate the manual behind a special edition like the CF and charge some massive price over the 3.0 premium, because, and this is key, they can and because someone will pay up.
...and Tada-san will spew forth a 20-minute video on how much more performance can be wrung from the manual version. Still waiting on those fake-to-real vent solutions I heard so much about the first time around. :rolleyes:

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
...and Tada-san will spew forth a 20-minute video on how much more performance can be wrung from the manual version. Still waiting on those fake-to-real vent solutions I heard so much about the first time around. :rolleyes:
Those will be opened up to cool the very 'cool', purist clutch that will be overworked attempting to outpace the ZF8 bro's lol :) :)

goodshot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
As a prospective buyer of the manual a90, I will say that the Supra is priced is on a knife edge between "Value" and "Overpriced" with it's positioning in the market and can be framed by how you as an individual look at it.

MSRP is the the top end of "overpriced" when comparing to anything slightly lower in price (mustangs, Camaro, etc)

MSRP is a "value" if you compare it to actual sale prices of C8s or M2C with any options etc etc.

The window gets really skewed out of favor of the Supra with dealer mark ups and silly pricing of things like the CF Edition.

This is just my opinion as someone with cash in their pocket watching the market.

EDIT: Also, I don't really see the Z and the Supra as true peer competitors. Nissan has been in a bad way for years and is re-heating a 20 year old platform. They are the Dodge of the Japanese OEM world with much less success.

Last edited:

Travelingsoldier

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2001 2.5RS, 2003 WRX, 2005 STI, 2012 WRX, 2017 Hobie Tandem Island
Not going to lie, if i can get a manual supra for the same price as my auto, Iā€™ll get the manual. Even if it is slower. ?

goodshot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
I don't care about a manual "being slower" I just want to drive my cars.

As long as they put a decent feeling gearbox in it, get the gear ratios right, and do some suspension adjustments it should be golden. Since Toyota doesn't have a lot to do on the engineering side I'm hoping they get the finer points dialed in.

Last edited:

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
MSRP is the the top end of "overpriced" when comparing to anything slightly lower in price (mustangs, Camaro, etc)

EDIT: Also, I don't really see the Z and the Supra as true peer competitors. Nissan has been in a bad way for years and is re-heating a 20 year old platform. They are the Dodge of the Japanese OEM world with much less success.
Honestly, I wouldn't really compare it to the muscle cars at all. I can't really think of a car priced below the Supra that does what the Supra does as well. None of the pony cars have the same track aptitude or the premium interior. Their main selling point is "we have a V8", cost, and back seats.

I kind of see it as a range of entry-level sports cars between $30k-$40k before options (non-Shelby Mustang, Camaros except the ZL1, WRX, 86, etc), the mid-level premium sports cars at $60k-$80k (Supra, Cayman, M2C, GT350, ZL1), and then the high-end sports cars which regularly run north of $100k.

In the premium level, where the Supra sits, I'd argue it's hard to beat for value. The GT350 and ZL1 are track toys, and not as good dailies, while the Supra is priced far lower than the M2C and Cayman for comparable performance.

The Z, in my opinion, is kind of bridging the gap between entry-level and premium. It's very likely to show it's among the best in the entry-level group, offering some performance specs similar to the premium group (for instance 400hp on a car that's not 2 tons), but it's not going be as nice of a place to be interior-wise. Also, between the data offered from several other threads, there's a lot to suggest that the Z doesn't have the same track focus as the Supra (which itself is a bit compromised compared to the GT350, ZL1, and M2C).

Note: these comparisons are assuming stock-to-stock. I'm not going to bother with considering modding, as A) that may not apply to everyone in the world based on the laws where they live and B) it's very easy to get into apples vs oranges based on the build.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
As a prospective buyer of the manual a90, I will say that the Supra is priced is on a knife edge between "Value" and "Overpriced" with it's positioning in the market and can be framed by how you as an individual look at it.

MSRP is a "value" if you compare it to actual sale prices of C8s or M2C with any options etc etc.

The window gets really skewed out of favor of the Supra with dealer mark ups and silly pricing of things like the CF Edition.

This is just my opinion as someone with cash in their pocket watching the market.

Wrong. The Supra is a bargain at MSRP. What do you think it would've cost with a BMW badge? Go price a Z4.
Ever sat in a Mustang or a Camaro? That lovely door clang, the cheap ass plastics, and so on.

mmspider

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 2.0L(sold)

Its overpriced if you only factor in performance. If you are only after performance the supra is a bad choice in my opinion. Something like a performance pack mustang GT would be a great option. That`s why ford can sell 50-100k mustangs a year, a lot of people want that deal. During the warmer months I see the new C8 corvette all the time on the roads now. The Supra with its unique styling and way less production numbers means something. Factoring in the legacy, styling, performance, and production numbers the car offers amazing value.

Rasp58

First Name
Patryk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 BMW 330xi
So, I happened to call up a couple of local dealer about the manual Supra 3/4 confirmed it, one of them some salesperson had no clue what I was talking about (probably had no clue what they were doing in general lol). 2/4 dealers wanted between 2-5k over sticker on any Supra. Finally I landed at this one dealership where they are going to sell the car to me for MSRP. I ended up leaving a refundable deposit on an order, since dealers have not gotten any order allocations for the manual. I have been staying in touch with my sales guy there, he said that the manual should go into production May/June, and should be arriving at dealerships between June-November. So fingers crossed that they begin to arrive somewhere closer to the June end of expectation. I am going to be ordering mine in a 3.0 premium with the White Absolute Zero exterior and the red interior. Absolutely ecstatic on the news of the Supra coming in a manual, planning on trading in my 2020 BMW 330xi for the Supra and just daily driving it.

Jamassi

First Name
Edreus
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 a91 refraction blue Supra 2003 Mitsubishi Evo
So, I happened to call up a couple of local dealer about the manual Supra 3/4 confirmed it, one of them some salesperson had no clue what I was talking about (probably had no clue what they were doing in general lol). 2/4 dealers wanted between 2-5k over sticker on any Supra. Finally I landed at this one dealership where they are going to sell the car to me for MSRP. I ended up leaving a refundable deposit on an order, since dealers have not gotten any order allocations for the manual. I have been staying in touch with my sales guy there, he said that the manual should go into production May/June, and should be arriving at dealerships between June-November. So fingers crossed that they begin to arrive somewhere closer to the June end of expectation. I am going to be ordering mine in a 3.0 premium with the White Absolute Zero exterior and the red interior. Absolutely ecstatic on the news of the Supra coming in a manual, planning on trading in my 2020 BMW 330xi for the Supra and just daily driving it.
You are high hoping and dreaming big to be able to get a white/red + 6 speed when they launch for Msrp. Expect those to go for $10-20k over sticker

Rasp58

First Name
Patryk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 BMW 330xi
You are high hoping and dreaming big to be able to get a white/red + 6 speed when they launch for Msrp. Expect those to go for $10-20k over sticker
Working with the dealership I'm ordering through to hopefully *fingers crossed* be able to get that white/red manual 3.0 prem. I was able to secure the #1 spot on their manual order list 2 months ago so I feel that I am in good standing so far.
+I have it secured that I am paying MSRP for the vehicle when it arrives.

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
Working with the dealership I'm ordering through to hopefully *fingers crossed* be able to get that white/red manual 3.0 prem. I was able to secure the #1 spot on their manual order list 2 months ago so I feel that I am in good standing so far.
+I have it secured that I am paying MSRP for the vehicle when it arrives.
Iā€™m not sure how your sales guy can guarantee you pay msrp for a vehicle that isnā€™t officially released yet and has almost always had sticker prices well above the msrp at every dealership everywhere in the country especially without him being the owner or gm of the dealership. I mean if he can get it to you ,special ordered no less, for msrp thatā€™s awesome! But I take what sales guys say with a grain of salt since theyā€™ll say anything to get money from people since a deposit for a vehicle is still usable equity for them.
Sponsored