Sponsored

Manual Supra Shift Knob Options out there?

Hasan

Well-Known Member
First Name
Hasan
Joined
Aug 25, 2023
Threads
1
Messages
362
Reaction score
203
Location
United Arab Emirates
Car(s)
Too many to list
Yes they have a large hole in them with threads, lol. But seriously my Raceng knob is a lot heavier than the OEM one and I think it improves the shift action. This is a purely subjective view remember and I'm not going to tell you it's a "game changer" but I prefer it slightly to the OEM weight. My total shifter length is also around 1/4 in shorter as well so that has to be accounted for. Interestingly the theory for a shorter shift lever has some legs I think and for the same reason as motorcycle shift levers. The shorter the shifter shaft the less leaverage you have over the shifting mechanism and the detent spring in particular so to make the lever move you need to apply greater hand pressure to the lever to get the shift detent spring to release. This then translates into greater kinetic energy when the detent spring does release and changes the shift action. All dependant on the original setup of course. I did a modification to the shift lever design on a particular motorcycle brand a few years ago and it ended up in a small production run it worked so well for that bike. The principle is the same for a car shifter but as I mentioned it's influence is dependent on the original design.
Phil

Many thanks for the insights Phil.

I have a billetworkz shift knob which weighs around 300 grams and sits around the same height as the OEM. I do feel a difference in the shift action, but I am not sure I like it all the time. Whenever I am feeling tiered and worn, I really like it; when I am feeling adventurous; not so much. For me the shift action has become a bit muted and softer.

Your description of the effect of a shorter shift lever makes sense. I would imagine that a weighted shift knob with a shorter shift lever would feel quite nice.

I am going to try a tomei duracon 60mm shift knob which along with the adapter should weigh around 100 grams.

I think I will play around with the 3 for a while and then consider reducing the length of the shift lever. Based on your experience, are you happy with the 1/4 inch reduction or would you choose a different length if you were to do it again?

Thanks
 

lucky phil

Well-Known Member
First Name
Phil
Joined
Jan 23, 2023
Threads
9
Messages
1,554
Reaction score
1,810
Location
Australia
Car(s)
Maybe a Supra GTS 2023 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
Many thanks for the insights Phil.

I have a billetworkz shift knob which weighs around 300 grams and sits around the same height as the OEM. I do feel a difference in the shift action, but I am not sure I like it all the time. Whenever I am feeling tiered and worn, I really like it; when I am feeling adventurous; not so much. For me the shift action has become a bit muted and softer.

Your description of the effect of a shorter shift lever makes sense. I would imagine that a weighted shift knob with a shorter shift lever would feel quite nice.

I am going to try a tomei duracon 60mm shift knob which along with the adapter should weigh around 100 grams.

I think I will play around with the 3 for a while and then consider reducing the length of the shift lever. Based on your experience, are you happy with the 1/4 inch reduction or would you choose a different length if you were to do it again?

Thanks
The 1/4 inch reduction was all I could achieve using the Race engineering shift knob and the adaptor style they chose and I copied without removing material from the shifter shaft which I didn't want to do. I was concerned it might increase the lever force too much mainly into reverse but it's fine. Even a total of 1/2 inch shorter would work well I think but no more than that.
Phil
 

a90Fren

Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
10
Reaction score
12
Location
Earth
Car(s)
2026 Supra 3.0 Manual
I'm going to post this knob in here so I don't annoy people in the other thread. This is a Likewise Ti-X The Nad. It is right under 240g with the adapter. I like it a lot so far. Definitely feels better than stock.

e8bE5WR.jpg
 

RyanA90

Well-Known Member
First Name
Ryan
Joined
Aug 6, 2020
Threads
31
Messages
1,144
Reaction score
1,191
Location
Fairfield, Ca
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
‘23 Supra A91-MT Burnout
I'm going to post this knob in here so I don't annoy people in the other thread. This is a Likewise Ti-X The Nad. It is right under 240g with the adapter. I like it a lot so far. Definitely feels better than stock.

e8bE5WR.jpg
Looks good! Link to the shift boot?!
 

Eastwood

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2022
Threads
11
Messages
792
Reaction score
1,110
Location
SoCal
Car(s)
2023 Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Premium - Stratosphere
Looks great! Did you just order a BMW knob? I'm not seeing Supra listed under their Toyota options. Any idea if their boot retainers will work too?
Yes, order from BMW section, it includes an adapter to install a threaded knob.

I got the boot retainer but didn't need it, just use the low profile zip tie on the adapter and it looks fine.
 

Hasan

Well-Known Member
First Name
Hasan
Joined
Aug 25, 2023
Threads
1
Messages
362
Reaction score
203
Location
United Arab Emirates
Car(s)
Too many to list
Looks great! Did you just order a BMW knob? I'm not seeing Supra listed under their Toyota options. Any idea if their boot retainers will work too?
Yes. Ordered the BMW knob and adapter. Boot retainers work depending on the shape of the knob. If the knob has a wide opening at the bottom (designed for reverse lockouts), it will not lock the boot retainer in place and it will rattle. So I am not using the boot retainer with this knob.
Sponsored

 
 








Top