MKV Future Classic?

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
I think it depends mostly on how many people decide to make love to a tree with theirs... seems like the salvage thread grows by at least two listings for every 5 sold... so by the end of production there may be even fewer on the road than there are today. ?

It's just too tempting to take all the nannies off and mash it I guess. Luckily, it seems the majority of the drivers walk away in one piece... but the same definitely can't be said for their cars! Of course, many of those did nothing wrong... they were just at an intersection at the wrong time. The results are the same in either case, unfortunately. :confused:

antonio88x

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium (mine), 2018 CX-5 GT (wife's)
I think so. It looks good and is controversial. Controversial items usually do better over time because there's a talking point associated with it.

kappa_md

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota 86 GR, Toyota GR Yaris, Honda Civic Type R
It will be the last ICE. Tada-san called it the “last gift” from TOYOTA. After this, everything will be electric/hybrid. It’s like Porsche’s last air-cooled 911. Call it whatever you want. There will be those who’ll love it till the end ;)

PS: Nobody in their right mind saw the MKIV Supra as a future classic when they bought theirs more than 20 years ago. And look at it now :p

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A key differences is the A80 overall was built in low numbers.
... Not to mention it (as well as the R34 Skyline, Z32, FD RX7, NSX, etc.) have become iconic representations of "the golden age of Japanese sports cars" - at least when viewed from an American perspective.

I have no idea how many MKV posters might be hung on some 13yr old's bedroom currently, so I can't guess what the future 30 years from now looks like. Although based on the number that nearly wreck their bicycles every time I drive down my street - it might be a significant number.

The only thing I can say conclusively is that mine will have no resale value at all. By the time it turns 5 I'll have ~85K miles on it at the present rate. I didn't buy it for resale but rather to drive it into the dirt... so that's one less unit competing for those collector dollars in 2050. ?

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
... Not to mention it (as well as the R34 Skyline, Z32, FD RX7, NSX, etc.) have become iconic representations of "the golden age of Japanese sports cars" - at least when viewed from an American perspective.

I have no idea how many MKV posters might be hung on some 13yr old's bedroom currently, so I can't guess what the future 30 years from now looks like. Although based on the number that nearly wreck their bicycles every time I drive down my street - it might be a significant number.

The only thing I can say conclusively is that mine will have no resale value at all. By the time it turns 5 I'll have ~85K miles on it at the present rate. I didn't buy it for resale but rather to drive it into the dirt... so that's one less unit competing for those collector dollars in 2050. ?
Yeah. If I don't put it into the wall or blow a hole in the block, I'll drive this thing into the dirt too. Once less from me as well.

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
No. Too many b58 variants out there.
maybe a launch will be worth something in 20 years. But who wants to just park theirs in a garage and never drive it

I’d rather enjoy it and then watch BAT for a trends in 15-20 years then since we are fans and knowledgeable buy one before the “word” gets out that prices are going up
this is sort of the point. the heart of the car is in every other car and washer/dryer/refrigerator at this point. same with the transmission.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
this is sort of the point. the heart of the car is in every other car and washer/dryer/refrigerator at this point. same with the transmission.
Certainly the 2JZ is a significant portion of MKIV demand (a commanding majority even), but there will always be a moderate amount of demand simply for the chassis - in which case the "heart" is of far less concern.

I think specifically of the trend of resto-mods often commanding values comparable (though admittedly slightly less on average) to proper VIN-matched stock restorations of classic cars. On that side it's anyone's guess, but the more available the stock drivetrain is the better, in either case actually.

At least for many people, the fact that their dream car from their childhood (or before) didn't come from the factory with an LS V8, 8AT, and 4 wheel disc brakes... doesn't stop them from buying it that way at auction (often for six-figure prices). For others, like myself, that's actually far better than something that's unsafe, slow, and impossible to buy parts for, even if the result is a bit of a frankenstein.

Some day...
1641071682693.png

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Certainly the 2JZ is a significant portion of MKIV demand (a commanding majority even), but there will always be a moderate amount of demand simply for the chassis - in which case the "heart" is of far less concern.

I think specifically of the trend of resto-mods often commanding values comparable (though admittedly slightly less on average) to proper VIN-matched stock restorations of classic cars. On that side it's anyone's guess, but the more available the stock drivetrain is the better, in either case actually.
I hear you. Frankly, I wouldn't turn down a properly modified EV Supra either. Making old cars reliable and fun again (in a consciously different manner) is awesome. Not everyone wants a spaceship...the old designs were fun!

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
No. Too many b58 variants out there.
maybe a launch will be worth something in 20 years. But who wants to just park theirs in a garage and never drive it

I’d rather enjoy it and then watch BAT for a trends in 15-20 years then since we are fans and knowledgeable buy one before the “word” gets out that prices are going up
There were a ton of other Toyota and Lexus vehicles that had the JZ mind you.
Sponsored