New Tires Causing VSC Issue

10ICTXN

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 White
Since I got no responses to my previous tire question, I just went with stock sized 275/35/19 rear tires, the Continental Extreme Contacts. Now when I take a corner with any appreciable speed, not all that fast really, the VSC system is kicking in and the rear waggles a bit and the little traction light blinks (the one on the right side of the dash, not the VSC off light on the left) like it normally does when taking off with fairly aggressive acceleration (as it should) . I never encountered that previously during cornering. This does not inspire confidence and I plan on taking it in to the dealership to have it checked out / corrected. I am curious, has anyone else encountered this issue? This is on a '21 3.0.

Thank you for any useful experience that you can relay.
Sponsored

type-964

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Supra
How many miles have you put on the new tires (e.g. is the greasy new tire compound release stuff worn off)?

Are you running Conti ECS up front as well?

Andā€¦what tire pressure are you running?

OP
OP

10ICTXN

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 White
I think that there is nothing greasy left, Iā€™ve driven a hundred or so. I did a couple of no traction control burns initially to shuck off anything of the sort.

I still have the stock ones up front as they have a good amount of tread left, I know, thatā€™s being cheap but Iā€™m thinking the fronts will be done when these new rear tires are spent. I donā€™t see how that would cause the issue with the rears but I would appreciate hearing your thoughts.

38-39 psi like the Michelins called for. I looked on the Continentals and the only pressure I saw was 51 (I think) as a max. But that shouldnā€™t be the running pressure, I wouldnā€™t think.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
38-39 psi like the Michelins called for. I looked on the Continentals and the only pressure I saw was 51 (I think) as a max. But that shouldnā€™t be the running pressure, I wouldnā€™t think.
It's not. Don't go looking for recommended pressures on the tire. Do as your vehicle placard n dash tells you.

Did you go thru the tire screen and let it learn which tires you got?

OP
OP

10ICTXN

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 White
I did not, it did not auto recognize the new ones, Iā€™ll see about doing a manual entry in the morning.

EddieNel

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F350
It's not. Don't go looking for recommended pressures on the tire. Do as your vehicle placard n dash tells you.

Did you go thru the tire screen and let it learn which tires you got?
Interesting. Didnā€™t know that was an option.

Todday1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
These cars are somewhat tail happy and having driven many with students they are not all the same right out of The box. Those tires are a pretty grippy for a street tire so as good or better than the stock ones. You could try to turn traction control off(hold it down until Vsa off) and then test to see if it is breaking the tires Loose or the computer is being over sensitive. Then you will know if it is a tire setting on the traction control but I expect not on tire setting but who knows. Next would check alignment As it should not be that twitchy unless you are really turning in too hard and accelerating on a sharp turn which it can break the tires loose as you have about 400 hP to rear wheels even as stock. They need a little neg camber so this could be off from factory. Tire pressures for street are right around 40 psi

PearlSup

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Premium Phantom
I am curious, has anyone else encountered this issue? This is on a '21 3.0.

Had the same exact issue recently.

Replaced just rears; was running 265/40/18 MPSS front & 295/40/18 NT555G2.

VSC kicking on in turns that a bus could take no problem. Car also felt speed-wobbly at any speed over 90.

Did that nightmare for a week; got 275/40/18 NT555G2 fronts and now the car drives like a dream.

Nice lesson on what differing tread patterns can do, especially on a car thatā€™s as quick and sensitive as ours.

SleakMK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
Since I got no responses to my previous tire question, I just went with stock sized 275/35/19 rear tires, the Continental Extreme Contacts. Now when I take a corner with any appreciable speed, not all that fast really, the VSC system is kicking in and the rear waggles a bit and the little traction light blinks (the one on the right side of the dash, not the VSC off light on the left) like it normally does when taking off with fairly aggressive acceleration (as it should) . I never encountered that previously during cornering. This does not inspire confidence and I plan on taking it in to the dealership to have it checked out / corrected. I am curious, has anyone else encountered this issue? This is on a '21 3.0.

I had this same issue with the same tires. Make sure you do the tire setup as mentioned above on screen. I couldnā€™t get VSCto stop coming on in the turns so shut it off. Drove like this by default for a a couple weeks and then tried with VSC on again and it worked perfect from there on out. Switched to PS4S afterwards and never had the issue again. Not worth taking to dealer though.

I also remember the car felt weird when switching lanes or making quick movements, but that all went away the same as the VSC issue. Almost like the Continentals just need a little break-in to get the car used to them. Initially I thought I screwed up with buying them but they turned out to be pretty good tires, but they just arenā€™t on the same level as the PS4Sā€™s on this car.

Jim_Harrison

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0
Wow, you guys all run very high pressures in your rear tires. I've found my car works best at 32 to 33 lbs in the rear on a AutoX course. Going above that reduces rear grip on corner exit. On course I run with the all the grannies off.

OP
OP

10ICTXN

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 White
I had this same issue with the same tires. Make sure you do the tire setup as mentioned above on screen. I couldnā€™t get VSCto stop coming on in the turns so shut it off. Drove like this by default for a a couple weeks and then tried with VSC on again and it worked perfect from there on out. Switched to PS4S afterwards and never had the issue again. Not worth taking to dealer though.

I also remember the car felt weird when switching lanes or making quick movements, but that all went away the same as the VSC issue. Almost like the Continentals just need a little break-in to get the car used to them. Initially I thought I screwed up with buying them but they turned out to be pretty good tires, but they just arenā€™t on the same level as the PS4Sā€™s on this car.

Thanks, I'll keep driving and see if they settle in. I do plan on going to a PS4S set next time on all 4 corners.

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
mis matched tires ie different wear and grip will cause this
Yeah not sure why one would mis match anything on cars engineered with tires of the same quality and performance and maker front and rear. Its beyond me why this would be remotely normal. Why would one want differing capability on different axle>???????????

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Yeah not sure why one would mis match anything on cars engineered with tires of the same quality and performance and maker front and rear. Its beyond me why this would be remotely normal. Why would one want differing capability on different axle>???????????
I run Nitto Invo in front and Drag radials in back and no issues. Also have the tire setting in the custom setting also. There isn't really curves around here and I'm more into the straight line stuff, but do have a set for when I do track days. but for my daily driving its radials in the back and the NT05r's do a surprisingly decent job around any of the curves I do want to have fun on. Obviously not as good as the set of 4s's but you asked why someone would have different capabilities on different axles... grip is the answer for me lol.
Sponsored