New (Unconfirmed) Details and Specifications of US-Spec MKV Supra:

Would you consider a single trim, 350hp, 3300lbs/1500kg luxury A90 Supra at $60k+?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MLG Tofu Shop

First Name
Goh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Vios
No offence to anyone but would bringing back the Celica and the GT-FOUR/All Trac version be a lot easier to pull off? Plus it would be more of a Toyota.
Sponsored

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
No offence to anyone but would bringing back the Celica and the GT-FOUR/All Trac version be a lot easier to pull off? Plus it would be more of a Toyota.
Do you want another Subaru collaboration?

Considering Toyota's past history, they are not going to make a awd car unless they can cut the cost.

Though, a awd celica that is the equivalent of a wrx would be awesome. Not the same price mind you but would be a great alternative on the market

MLG Tofu Shop

First Name
Goh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Vios
Do you want another Subaru collaboration?

Considering Toyota's past history, they are not going to make a awd car unless they can cut the cost.

Though, a awd celica that is the equivalent of a wrx would be awesome. Not the same price mind you but would be a great alternative on the market
Please no more collaborations with other car manufacturers. :confused:

Redbeard

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 GTI, 2010 F150
I just saw that this thread got featured and this rendering was used as a preview. Does that mean these are the closest ones to the real thing?

newrendering2.png

newrendering.png
All other things aside, if the car does look close to this (and better in person) then it’ll easily be one of my favorite looking cars on the road.

MLG Tofu Shop

First Name
Goh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Vios
To be honest with you, I rather prefer Toyota to make performance cars based on TNGA. A proper Toyota without the involvement of other car manufacturers even if that means no proper sports car from Toyota, at least we can get something fast, fun and reliable.

outofstep

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MK3 Supra, MK4 Supra, 650S, BMW 335I, XRunner
I dont get why so many people keep saying "i trust tada." Did you forget his team gave us the 86 abortion? Looks like hes 0/2 now.

Please keep Tada the fuck away from any sports car.

OP
OP
Guff

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
I dont get why so many people keep saying "i trust tada." Did you forget his team gave us the 86 abortion? Looks like hes 0/2 now.

The 86 was fantastic, fuck off. If you're unable to see the value in that car and how there is literally no manufacturer with the balls to make a niche drivers car for the people, then you're not going to see any value in the Supra because you can't tell your friends you have more horsepower than them at your weekly circlejerk.

SPMS

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rc-F, 350z-TT, G2 Raptor
Vehicle Showcase
The 86 was fantastic, fuck off. If you're unable to see the value in that car and how there is literally no manufacturer with the balls to make a niche drivers car for the people, then you're not going to see any value in the Supra because you can't tell your friends you have more horsepower than them at your weekly circlejerk.
:lol::lol::lol:

Get em Guff!

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

On another note, I want to see how the community respond with the supra

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
Yes.

The front splitter and a few small details are a little different, but that is very close to the production car, according to the the source of the leak.

Apparently it looks even better in person, the proportions are supposedly very good.
Great news! Those BMW mirrors still look out of place. I can already see people changing them out with the ones from the MKV, 86, or aftermarket units from eBay.

I wouldn't be surprise. The real thing usually has more of a wow factor.

Still shaped like how it is in the render, just a bit different in length and height.
Yeah you're right. It is a little higher on the spy shots. Maybe someone with awesome Photoshop skills can rise it for us?

newrendering.png

cdn.com%2Fslideshows%2Fimages%2Fslides%2F724%2F785%2F7%2FS7247857%2Fslug%2Fl%2Ftoyota-supra1-7-1.jpg

Last edited:

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
To be honest with you, I rather prefer Toyota to make performance cars based on TNGA. A proper Toyota without the involvement of other car manufacturers even if that means no proper sports car from Toyota, at least we can get something fast, fun and reliable.
A70TTR has already address why GA-L was not used for the A90. He also said in the past if Toyota were to reskin the LC to make it look like the FT-1; that alone would already make the price tag push $100k+.

good questions.

because the sales of the A80 were so much lower than A70, Toyota decided that was going to be the last halo sports car for a long time. They then famously put all efforts into economy cars, and this was commonly known as the appliance era. Common knowledge more or less...

Prior to that however, yes, the A chassis and Z chassis were both closely related, sharing the same platform and many components therein as a result. There was an issue with this starting with the A80 though, in that engineering did not want to use a heavy luxury car platform for what was considered internally as a successor to the 2000GT. Management did not care and forced the engineers to use the platform anyways and instead told them to focus on improving it versus condemning it. This compromise was definitely at odds with what the car was supposed to achieve and is interesting as maybe it would have been a lighter weight sports car instead of GT, but at the end of the day they made it work the best they could.

With SC430, there was still a business case for the car unlike the A80, but as we saw sales were pretty low and that car was all around odd IMO.

In time, both cars more or less fell out of favor, both publicly and with upper management, which is why the LC500 exists. It is an SC successor in every way, and they considered naming it as such before deciding to move to a new nomenclature altogether.

As to why the LC platform wasn't used for a new Supra likely stems back to that A80 vs Z30 mindset of not wanting performance compromise, perhaps Lexus not wanting to share chassis (possible but unlikely), and that Toyota wanted to trade tech and costs with another company a la 86, and so with all factors coming together we have the present situation. Compromise none the less, but perhaps not as much depending on how you look at goals for a given model.

Prius_F_Sport

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'14 Subaru BRZ, '12 BMW M3
Isn't the price tag already that high?

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF

Hey Man watch your mouth and dont attack anyone personally or you might get banned from posting here...
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.