New (Unconfirmed) Details and Specifications of US-Spec MKV Supra:

Would you consider a single trim, 350hp, 3300lbs/1500kg luxury A90 Supra at $60k+?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chikane

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hmm What AM I driving?
Well everything is up in the air at the moment. I think we all agree the numbers don't add up. It's more waiting game I guess.
Sponsored

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
So what is a correct Cost Vs Performance?

Are we talking like toyota 86? Or was that a bit skewed as well?
Cost vs performance for the 86 was more or less where it should be for the market. Did I want more power, yeah, but I also would have paid more for it too..

Put another way, is it competitive? He was saying that cost/benefit was not competitive in his opinion.

What I'm confused about is if Toyota and BMW have already come to an agreement about what's expected of their cars and not to cannibalize one another, where does the line end? The prototype Z4 is 50 grand or so with 382 HP. How can this cost ten thousand dollars more and offer less in that regards?
it really can't, unless there is no business sense involved... and as much as Toyota has done ridiculous things in the past, this one is a stretch even then.

OP
OP
Guff

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
part of part of my issue with this, aside from other parts, is the output and how its using B58 numbers as said. the new engine in the Supra uses an iron block and a new head and apparently has been tested to reliably hold 700hp. This was the design requirement Toyota issued to BMW; ensure the motor can handle extreme tuning (well, extreme in their eyes).

that said, why would the output of the new motor be the same as the B58? I think you would really have to try to get the figures to match considering nothing is common between them... granted, 350hp is what I was told the new motor makes atm.

Yet another piece to this puzzle is a US source tied to a VP said they requested the car make more power, to which (presumably) Tomoyama-san replied that he would speak to Tada in regards to.

I have more questions by the minute, but I'm trying my best to get answers without being super obvious. I did show this thread to a Japanese senior engineer on the Lexus side and he said cost vs performance did not look correct at all.
This is my main beef with the details as well, as it implies that the motor is the same as the Z4. Now, of course, we haven't fully confirmed that the Z4 uses the B58, but several journalists did say it was.

Let us know how Toyota is handling the news.
Toyota is more or less on press lockdown regarding the Supra right now, as they should be while finalizing a launch. I haven't been able to get any details from anyone, so I'm in the dark as well. As far as I know, they are aware of this thread though, so we'll see what happens. I haven't gotten an ominous call from Plano yet though... :confused1:

That being said, if we just ignore the performance stuff, the interior seems pretty nice haha. Bespoke design, seperate from the Z4, high quality materials, and very sporty, so that's great news. BMW steering wheel and some shared switchgear is a bit lame, but expected. I'm not sure how I feel about iDrive yet, but I guess that's not a huge deal. Heads up display is awesome too.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This is my main beef with the details as well, as it implies that the motor is the same as the Z4. Now, of course, we haven't fully confirmed that the Z4 uses the B58, but several journalists did say it was.

Toyota is more or less on press lockdown regarding the Supra right now, as they should be while finalizing a launch. I haven't been able to get any details from anyone, so I'm in the dark as well. As far as I know, they are aware of this thread though, so we'll see what happens. I haven't gotten an ominous call from Plano yet though... :confused1:

That being said, if we just ignore the performance stuff, the interior seems pretty nice haha. Bespoke design, seperate from the Z4, high quality materials, and very sporty, so that's great news. BMW steering wheel and some shared switchgear is a bit lame, but expected. I'm not sure how I feel about iDrive yet, but I guess that's not a huge deal. Heads up display is awesome too.
You and A70 are the reasons I keep coming back on the chance I learn something new about the car that I can't afford now but will down the road

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
I will re-quote this;
2019 BMW Z4 M40i SPECS
PRICE $65,000 (est)
LAYOUT Front-engine, RWD, 2-pass, 2-door convertible
ENGINE 3.0L/382-hp/369-lb-ft turbo DOHC 24-valve I-6

SVHO

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 MX5 ND, 2019 Acura RDX
If this is true I am not impressed. Had a few Nissan 350Z (2004 & 2005), S2000 (2006 & 2007) and currently drive a Miata ND as a weekend car(probably the best fun car for the money).

Wish we know the specs soon cause Toyota is offering 1k cash back on Tacoma LOL! I rather upgrade my aging Tacoma truck with the unconfirmed specs.

Last edited:

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'87 E30, '95 Mk4 Supra, '03 Legacy GT
Been lurking here a hot minute, but just feel I needed to chime in and ask Toyota.... "Please don't screw this up!!!!"

380hp, 3000-3100lb curbweight and a $55k price tag with the handling capability being allured to is a pretty compelling proposition.

Not sure how much less power and more weight at an absurd price is a compelling offer in a world where so many performance bargins exist. Also... don't mess with the "Supra" logo.

K thanks.

part of part of my issue with this, aside from other parts, is the output and how its using B58 numbers as said. the new engine in the Supra uses an iron block and a new head and apparently has been tested to reliably hold 700hp. This was the design requirement Toyota issued to BMW; ensure the motor can handle extreme tuning (well, extreme in their eyes).

that said, why would the output of the new motor be the same as the B58? I think you would really have to try to get the figures to match considering nothing is common between them... granted, 350hp is what I was told the new motor makes atm.

Yet another piece to this puzzle is a US source tied to a VP said they requested the car make more power, to which (presumably) Tomoyama-san replied that he would speak to Tada in regards to.

I have more questions by the minute, but I'm trying my best to get answers without being super obvious. I did show this thread to a Japanese senior engineer on the Lexus side and he said cost vs performance did not look correct at all.
Is this a definite thing, or could it be a lost in translation thing in regards to the B58 being closed deck vs the N55s open deck design?

Turbro

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Strat 3.0 MT, 94 Supra TT 6Spd
I'm new to signing up on this forum. But not new to lurking and reading all the threads over the years. This conversation made me sign up to say one thing.

To the Toyota employees/VPs that are reading this.

I have been and will be holding off my next car purchase to see how the MKV supra comes to fruition. IF and only IF you don't screw this up. As a current 94 Supra TT 6 speed owner, which is one of my forever cars, I would love a new Supra sitting next to it. This car needs to be at least less weight than the MKIV with a minimum of 380hp to even be considered decent, with the price point of 55-65k. Toyota must not wimp out on the specs and with competition in this market. There are so many good options out there, Toyota must compete or they will be DOA. I personally will be waiting a few years to buy, as I want to see any special editions or "TRD widebody" comes out. Along with a manual transmission options (if ever).

I am your buyer and am in the age group excited for this car. 31 years old with a career and money to burn. If they screw this up, there are many great options on the market in which I would explore, non being Toyota. I have lost my faith in Toyota for many years now as they moved towards SUVS and Sedans that are outdated and cheaply made. Lets hope they can bring back the younger generation who is ready to spend hard earned money on better products. We exist, don't ignore us.

Last edited:

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I will re-quote this;
2019 BMW Z4 M40i SPECS
PRICE $65,000 (est)
LAYOUT Front-engine, RWD, 2-pass, 2-door convertible
ENGINE 3.0L/382-hp/369-lb-ft turbo DOHC 24-valve I-6
The engine was 382 at 65k? I though it was 382 at 50k?

OP
OP
Guff

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
The engine was 382 at 65k? I though it was 382 at 50k?
Z4 price is quoted by most of the journalists as "mid to high 60s" in the US.

outofstep

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MK3 Supra, MK4 Supra, 650S, BMW 335I, XRunner
These specs are laughable. I knew with even entertaining the talk of ANY hp number in the 300s and a pricetag in the 60-80 range, this was going to be DOA. Frankly it blows my mind how many folks think 380hp and a 50k tag is acceptable for a car called "Supra."

The GT cars the Supra competed against in the 90s, can now be had for half of that price and close to 500hp (base models). Hell, almost all of them can be had with upgrades that put them over 600hp, insane handling numbers around the Ring, and STILL under 60k.

Throw in no manual and no targa top. Call this POS abortion the revised 86.

God this "Supra" really is a joke.

OP
OP
Guff

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Is this a definite thing, or could it be a lost in translation thing in regards to the B58 being closed deck vs the N55s open deck design?
It is absolute, but I cannot give specific details on the motor beyond that.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.