New (Unconfirmed) Details and Specifications of US-Spec MKV Supra:

Would you consider a single trim, 350hp, 3300lbs/1500kg luxury A90 Supra at $60k+?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
oh man did I go back in time, this is like the early days of the 86 with all the this source and that sources says it will be this and that.

and the BRZ was suppose to be AWD that kind of stuff.

I'm going to sit and wait, and see. No Need to lose sleep over this tbh.

I'm with everyone that I'm no thrilled, however I'm not going to be thrilled if Guff Post something 400HP either.

Toyota has my benefit of the doubt until I see a Press Release from News room and it's on a spinning turn table at a show or something.

Hell unti my hands are on a steering wheel ready to sign!
X2

the engine details, 0-60 time, and pricing looks like they were just copied and pasted straight from the Z4 reviews and articles. i would just wait for official info from Toyota. but in the mean time i think its a good idea for everyone to keep voicing their feedback and concerns.
Sponsored

Chikane

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hmm What AM I driving?
I think it will still sell just for the same reason something like an RC300 sells. I mean there's nothing significant that makes it stands out, it's not anything in the segment and it's overpriced. People still buy it, same thing this with this spec whatever it is(I won't call it a Supra) at least the RC has an RCF that well doesn't make sense either but that's the one enthusiast would want... and we'll we're small in numbers anyways. If this flops Toyota could just do a limited run for collectors. And stick to making nothing but SUV or something.

Hope that day doesn't come.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase

boodjohn

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CAMSOIASNDW
Gross HP is not the best comparison metric, it's misleading as it doesn't take vehicle weight into account. If the Supra does come in at ~2900lbs and 350hp, it's relative weight/power ratio will be respectable. And being several hundred pounds lighter than most of its competitors will give it a big handling advantage. Nothing beats adding lightness for upping the fun to drive factor.

And even if the base price is $50k (I still think $45k is more likely), it's still going to be cheaper than nearly all the cars listed in Bloodjohn's post above.
Horsepower isn’t everything
No, I am mad that you discredit another man's opinion as if it is foolish.

An insider noted that imagine a BMW m2, with 500 pounds less and better handling characteristics.

You think you know the supra, when Toyota didn't even know what the supra would become. It is pretty arrogant to ask for a better supra when we dont even have the product yet.

Supra MKIV = 320 HP 3,4xx lbs
Supra MKV = ~330-350+ HP (maybe more with +37 hp overboost) ~ 3,3xx lbs

Guys, it is time to realize that sub 3,000 is too far from being true. The added safety features and technology for current EPA, state and federal regulations would not allow it to be below 3,000 lbs. The technology does not exists. Yet...

The only way it will be below 3,000 lbs is to completely STRIP the unnecessaries (passenger and driver mechanical seats,spare [if any], arm rest, flooring, panels and more.) It doesnt take much to make an educated guess that it will be around 3,200 - 3,500 lbs.

I was truly rooting for 2,900 lbs as A70 stated.

HOWEVER.... I have a friend whose dad is an owner of a local (large) toyota dealership. I asked him on specifics on the new supra and this was all he had to say, "Looks bleak. Performance can be found elsewhere and may be potentially DOA." He brought up some key details that were not discuss here in the forums just yet, but lets see if the information is going to be released and how accurate he was.
I am on still on the bandwagon of a potentially lower weight.

if the stats are true can we make an agreement to change the board to a v6 camry enthusiast forum?
Well, lets look below.

Nope, not going to happen. An i6 and V6 sit differently in an engine. No way in hell they would do something so ridiculous.
Dead horse is super dead.

"Supra-needs-to-be-on-a-diet-plan" said Jenny Craig.
I believe V35A-FKS Twin Scrolled turbos will be used. Why? Lower weight. MORE POWERFUL. Tried. Tested. And True to Toyota.
However, I dont believe this will be offered at launch. A year or two in will they launch this.(...just like the Q50 Red Sport...)

Hell, even the 370z or mustang would be a better buy. This is frustrating.
Lets ask for a better supra.

OP
OP
Guff

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
With the 86 being a somewhat similarly sized, decently equipped, very safe car at 2760lbs, you can imagine why many of us believed we could get something with 2 more cylinders, turbos, and some more features at a 300-400lb increase in curb weight.

MKIVs biggest vice was weight too. And maybe the oem spring rates.

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
This part doesn't make sense to me. The Supra is 219-362 lbs less than the M20i, but it's suppose to be slower?
My point also...

So much speculation and guessing...

Does anyone else feel that these type of comments may be intentional just to get us fired up and temporarily disappointed? Then later to be blown away when the final specs are released?

This emotional roll coaster is a bitch to ride...

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
Well, not disappointing, it was to be expected. It is a BMW, and when was the last time a BMW blew my mind? With the M3 CSL. Since then, nothing.

But then I would simply have preferred the new Supra to not come back and just be what it is/was: a Z4 Coupe.

Side note: It is stupid to give Americans the worst cars, when they are the biggest buyers. Americans did not get for example all the special BMW versions, M3 CSL, M3 GTS, M3 CRT, etc...Lotus was/is not more sold there, the Alfa 4C US version gained 200 kg, Alpine A110 will likely too, makes no sense. Toyobaru sold very well in America and still is one of the most used modern tuner base import car.

SPMS

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rc-F, 350z-TT, G2 Raptor
Vehicle Showcase
The more I read, I'm thinking someone just used the Z4 info and tailored it for Supra specs as well, without knowing 100%. It seems as if it is easy enough to transfer the info, since both are supposed to be close. However, I'm wanting lean more towards the Supra making a bit more power. I hope they send us something that shows us they took that extra step. If they market this Supra out what most OG Supra owners/ real enthusiasts / current owners want, like many of you said, they can consider it DOA.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
65k car with fake vents.. is toyota USA thinking that they can slap a Supra name on anything and charge a shyt ton and expect people to buy it?

mkivalex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993 MKIV Supra TT 6SPD
I literally was thinking about this as I tried to fall asleep.

As someone who is on the fence about keeping my MKIV or upgrading to the newer tech and platform....well let's just say I was turning wrenches on the Supra last night after reading this.

I just flat out cant believe these would be the specs. And if they are Toyota must think everyone is stupid.. I just cant believe Toyota would release something with those specs to that price market and expect it to succeed or even stay afloat.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase

As someone who is on the fence about keeping my MKIV or upgrading to the newer tech and platform....well let's just say I was turning wrenches on the Supra last night after reading this.

I just flat out cant believe these would be the specs. And if they are Toyota must think everyone is stupid.. I just cant believe Toyota would release something with those specs to that price market and expect it to succeed or even stay afloat.
Agreed. This car will by no means be a replacement for any previous Supras that carried the soul of Toyota. I was hoping for a decent car.. 350hp, 3k curb weight and a manual trans.. give or take 50k. But a 3300lb car with 335hp, fake vents and 65k sounds like an insult to the Supra lovers.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

If this is true, you can expect the market to be screaming for the mkiv as the prices will get to Porsche levels. For 60k, you can actually go get a used, well maintained supra that hasn't been messed with

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If this is true, you can expect the market to be screaming for the mkiv as the prices will get to Porsche levels. For 60k, you can actually go get a used, well maintained supra that hasn't been messed with
Last week Friday when FCA confirmed that there are no plans for a new Viper.. I chuckled a bit inside as it only drives my car’s value up. Same way.. if toyota delivers a dud ... MKIV market will be impacted in an awesome manner for the current owners. Not that I would ever sell mine but.. but it will be worth more.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.