Oil change at dealership question

Katniss2020

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra GR, 1961 C10 Apache, 1972 Chrysler New Yorker Wagon
I donā€™t know about you or anyone else, but I personally do not and am not going to keep photos of me doing oil changes on my car lying around.

also, Toyota will most definitely use that as an excuse to not have to warranty a job if something gets pinned on oil.

sure you can get away with it on a Camry or sienna. Those are bread and butter cars, the Supra makes them very little to no money at all. So they wonā€™t want to pay for anything.

I know oil changes take time to do and Iā€™d definitely do it if I lived in a rural area where everything is far, but if you live close to a dealership you can trust, then go get it done there.
Completely agree. Plus, why pay a fortune for the oil and go through the hassle when Toyota pays for it the first 2yrs. I change the oil and work on my classics... not bothering on new car. Toyota is going to be very picky on a flagship vehicle like this. My Dealer didnā€™t stock the oil either, but they did get it. I just call ahead to make sure they have it in stock. They processed me in less than an hour and I was treated super special while there...itā€™s like Executive service when you roll in with a GR.

Derog

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra, Lexus UX250h
Funny experience, when I went for a oil change today. Pulled up to the express service, "we can't do that, go to service" went to service. Service tech saw me out the window and would not come out. Finally someone came out "take that over to express". Finally after some back and forth, "come back later we'll make you an appointment, takes two hours". Called BMW "you want to bring a Toyota here, you called BMW not Toyota" I explained that it had BMW motor in it. "I can't help you". Do any of the people working in the dealerships know anything about car? Finally BMW said they would change the oil but would have to call Toyota first to find out the details about the engine. Went to another Toyota dealership. "no problem we will work you in and change the oil".

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
I donā€™t know about you or anyone else, but I personally do not and am not going to keep photos of me doing oil changes on my car lying around.

also, Toyota will most definitely use that as an excuse to not have to warranty a job if something gets pinned on oil.

sure you can get away with it on a Camry or sienna. Those are bread and butter cars, the Supra makes them very little to no money at all. So they wonā€™t want to pay for anything.

I know oil changes take time to do and Iā€™d definitely do it if I lived in a rural area where everything is far, but if you live close to a dealership you can trust, then go get it done there.
I live close to a good dealership that I would consider trustworthy. However, this is an easy 20-30 minute job in the comfort of my own garage. Best case scenario at a dealer is several hours. Could be an entire morning/afternoon/day. You have to get it to them and pick it up or sit there which often requires vacation time unless you work odd hours. Besides knowing it was done correctly, I'll gladly trade a half hour on a Saturday or Sunday for not dealing with a dealership.

Katniss2020

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra GR, 1961 C10 Apache, 1972 Chrysler New Yorker Wagon
Funny experience, when I went for a oil change today. Pulled up to the express service, "we can't do that, go to service" went to service. Service tech saw me out the window and would not come out. Finally someone came out "take that over to express". Finally after some back and forth, "come back later we'll make you an appointment, takes two hours". Called BMW "you want to bring a Toyota here, you called BMW not Toyota" I explained that it had BMW motor in it. "I can't help you". Do any of the people working in the dealerships know anything about car? Finally BMW said they would change the oil but would have to call Toyota first to find out the details about the engine. Went to another Toyota dealership. "no problem we will work you in and change the oil".
Not surprised. Toyota doesnā€™t sell too many Supras. They typically have 1 dedicated service writer and 1 special trained tech for Supras and thatā€™s it. My Dealer doesnā€™t even let anyone else touch it, including lot porters to move it. I agree that a larger trusted dealer is the way to go. My advisor delivers it to the tech and retrieves it when done. I like the process.

Ivan27

First Name
Constantine
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2018 4Runner Limited
The free oil change is not worth the hassle. Why bother when you can do it at home in 20 mins.

Plus youā€™re just being a guinea pig since most service departments havenā€™t worked on Supras yet.

-RJM
Wow, my Prescott Toyota dealer has 5 trained supra tech's.

Derog

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra, Lexus UX250h
Even the dealer that is changing the oil said "oh while you are here we will rotate the tires for you". Makes you afraid to leave your car with them.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Even the dealer that is changing the oil said "oh while you are here we will rotate the tires for you". Makes you afraid to leave your car with them.
that was a metaphor for burning rubber ?

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Oh yeah, and free courtesy swirls aka car wash and oil stains and smears.. oh and maybe even a test drive.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
I live close to a good dealership that I would consider trustworthy. However, this is an easy 20-30 minute job in the comfort of my own garage. Best case scenario at a dealer is several hours. Could be an entire morning/afternoon/day. You have to get it to them and pick it up or sit there which often requires vacation time unless you work odd hours. Besides knowing it was done correctly, I'll gladly trade a half hour on a Saturday or Sunday for not dealing with a dealership.
This..... 100% this!

I thought part of owning a Supra is getting a chance to wrench on it.

-RJM

darkloki

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra MKIV Turbo Six Speed Getrag v160 BPU
Vehicle Showcase
Well I will say that my friend did his own oil change, but forgot to put the drain plug in when he poured in the "new" oil. I think you know what happened next.... So I wouldn't say it's easy anyone can do it :p

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Well I will say that my friend did his own oil change, but forgot to put the drain plug in when he poured in the "new" oil. I think you know what happened next.... So I wouldn't say it's easy anyone can do it :p
I guess its one level above ā€œSo easy a Sasquatch can do it.ā€ haha

-RJM

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
This..... 100% this!

I thought part of owning a Supra is getting a chance to wrench on it.

-RJM
It is. Even the service manager at my dealership when I bought the car stated that they've sold many Supra's and have only seen ZERO come back for routine maintenance as most people who buy these cars work on them themselves. So he told my sales guy not to bother selling dealer service packages to me. lol

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2016 Yamaha R1
Warranty schmarranty, I didn't trust the idiots at Toyota to work on my Corolla let alone Supra. This is a tuners car, you're going to void the warranty at some point regardless.

/Thread

joshthorsc

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2021 GR Supra
How long does it take? Iā€™ve had 2 oil changes: the first was all day and they gave me a loaner; the second one took 2 days because they didnā€™t have the right oil.

What is your experience with how long it takes (assuming they have the oil)?
I usually just change my own oil. I've heard horror stories of Toyota dealerships putting the wrong 0w20 oil in the Supra.
Sponsored