Passing SMOG with BM3 and MHD?

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I posted this in another thread but it probably makes more sense here.

Here is my CALID and CVN for my tuned 2020 (with BM3)

CALID: ECB72D7E
CVN: 2F9D600C

I'll flash back to stock after my next two events and compare.

Anyone with an untuned 2020 want to read their details and share?
Sponsored

Erty

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 Supra 3.0 Premium MT
Calibration Verification Number (CVN): a number set by OEMs to verify the integrity of the vehicle software
Calibration Identification (Cal-ID): an ID for the software installed on the Electronic Control Unit (ECU)

Both of these need to match in order to pass smog. If any of these are not matching in the database, it will be flagged as a fail, even if emissions test passes. This only happened fairly recently as it went into effect in 2021.

After going through bimmerpost, it seems like he still failed smog (In California) even after he flashed back to stock with BM3 software...

*The stock map option on BM3 isn't your "original" map from the factory. It is just a generic stock map rather than an exact backup copy*

The only way he got around retrieving the original CVN and Cal-id, after being flagged by the state ref, was by going through a BMW dealership and having them update the ecu (costing around $350) after this he was able to pass smog.

Two questions.

1. After the dealership flashed the genuine software values back to stock, will the ECU be locked again and need to be sent overseas once more?
2. Correct me if I'm wrong but BM3 doesn't seem to understand the difference between flashing back to stock tune and flashing CVN and Cal-id values back to stock originals.

Eastwood

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Toyota Supra 3.0 MT - Stratosphere.
From my understanding, if the dealer is reflashing or updating the DME, it removes the unlock. This has been why so many go for a cloned ecu.

Speed Logic

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra, BMW M3, Nissan GT-R
@Speed Logic

Do you know if BM3 or MHD will retain the calibration ID and CVN on their stock maps?
Unfortunately they will not - usually Stock flash or Stage 0 has a different CalID and Checksum than your original stock untouched ROM.

Reactions: bk5
OP
OP
swrdply400mrelay

swrdply400mrelay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Veloster N, 2024 Stratosphere MT

Speed Logic

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If you remove the tune fully and go back to Stock file it will retain original Checksum and CalID. My apologies only Stage 0 won't pass smog - but if you fully remove the tune back to Stock you'll be fine without issues to pass smog.

This applies to both Bootmod3 and MHD.

Pretty much for smog you'll want to remove the Downpipe and put your tune to Stock to be able to pass. Just don't leave the tune installed in a Stage 0 option. Sorry for any confusion on prior post.

OP
OP
swrdply400mrelay

swrdply400mrelay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Veloster N, 2024 Stratosphere MT
If you remove the tune fully and go back to Stock file it will retain original Checksum and CalID. My apologies only Stage 0 won't pass smog - but if you fully remove the tune back to Stock you'll be fine without issues to pass smog.

This applies to both Bootmod3 and MHD.

Pretty much for smog you'll want to remove the Downpipe and put your tune to Stock to be able to pass. Just don't leave the tune installed in a Stage 0 option. Sorry for any confusion on prior post.
If you go back to stock file do you need to send back to Femto for unlock?

Eastwood

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Toyota Supra 3.0 MT - Stratosphere.
I thought flashing back to stock removed the unlock?

Speed Logic

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If you go back to stock file do you need to send back to Femto for unlock?
I thought flashing back to stock removed the unlock?
Generally from real life experience situation yes for FEMTO Unlocks - if you flash back to stock the car will generally be "Locked" again and need to be sent back for another FEMTO Unlock. As a heads up if sending back for a second time through who originally unlocked your DME the cost is much cheaper for another Unlock.

Simply don't flash back to Stock unless you are doing it for Emissions/Smog reasons. The only surefire way around this is getting a cloned ECU if running a FEMTO unlock due to having full read/write access. If concerned about Emissions/Smog reasons then you would want to go with a Cloned ECU. Most cars purchased new in California or other states will not need to be smogged for the first 6 years as an FYI.

The thread you linked to F80 M2cs/M3/M4 w/ the S55 engine do not apply to Supra with DME dated 06/2020 and on as a heads up. The S55 Engines with earlier or even later dates we are able Unlock and Tune again same day in house within the USA - these are not in the same situation as FEMTO unlocks and the requirements for these Bosch MG1 ECUs. No one with the S55 engines are currently sending to Femto/Finland. Those ECU are an entire different hardware type (MEVD) and different requirement when Unlocking or Flashing with aftermarket tuning software.

PureDrifter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra 3.0 Premium MT, GX470, LS400, MR-S
Generally from real life experience situation yes for FEMTO Unlocks - if you flash back to stock the car will generally be "Locked" again and need to be sent back for another FEMTO Unlock. As a heads up if sending back for a second time through who originally unlocked your DME the cost is much cheaper for another Unlock.

Simply don't flash back to Stock unless you are doing it for Emissions/Smog reasons. The only surefire way around this is getting a cloned ECU if running a FEMTO unlock due to having full read/write access. If concerned about Emissions/Smog reasons then you would want to go with a Cloned ECU. Most cars purchased new in California or other states will not need to be smogged for the first 6 years as an FYI.

The thread you linked to F80 M2cs/M3/M4 w/ the S55 engine do not apply to Supra with DME dated 06/2020 and on as a heads up. The S55 Engines with earlier or even later dates we are able Unlock and Tune again same day in house within the USA - these are not in the same situation as FEMTO unlocks and the requirements for these Bosch MG1 ECUs. No one with the S55 engines are currently sending to Femto/Finland. Those ECU are an entire different hardware type (MEVD) and different requirement when Unlocking or Flashing with aftermarket tuning software.
So what is the best course of action for MT cars in CA? As far as I am aware cloning isn't an option for the manual cars.

So if you have a 23 MT femto unlocked with BM3 then get ref'd or have to smog, the only option is to flash back to stock tune (and be good on the CVN/CalID), but then have to re-unlock again?

dn00

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MK7 GTI, A90
So what is the best course of action for MT cars in CA? As far as I am aware cloning isn't an option for the manual cars.

So if you have a 23 MT femto unlocked with BM3 then get ref'd or have to smog, the only option is to flash back to stock tune (and be good on the CVN/CalID), but then have to re-unlock again?
Yes. Pretty much. Even with a cloned dme, there's gonna be a discrepancy with engine working hours. Hopefully they don't look at that.

mdpalmer

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra 3.0 MT | 2001 DC2 Integra
Watching this topic. Can't have any fun here in CA.

Makes me wonder, what happens if a DME ends up bricked or dysfunctional for some other reason that doesn't involve "tampering" (flashing a non-OEM calibration), like water damage or who knows what... And to get the car running again you'd have to install a new physical DME, I would hope you could transfer data like engine hours, etc to the new unit... Essentially cloning the one that was damaged.

Anyone know how this may work?

Wondering about this for later DMEs that apparently cannot be cloned. I have a '23 MT myself, so I'm interested in this subject.

I'm sure the G series BMW folks have asked the same question.

Yes. Pretty much. Even with a cloned dme, there's gonna be a discrepancy with engine working hours. Hopefully they don't look at that.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
There are instances where ECUs die and someone has to get a new one to replace. I don't see how that can be illegal or not pass smog. That would be nuts.

All this makes me so happy that I never touched my ECU. One less hurdle to deal with during the sale. :headbang: :thumbsup:
Sponsored