Petition To Toyota For Manual Transmission.

Which would affect your buying decision for the Supra, Toyota Safety Sense or a Manual Transmission?

• Total voters

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford

Viselord

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru BRZ
Could it be possible that Toyota and BMW are waiting for this potentially new transmission that will be in the new M3 and M4 to be available before adding it to the Supra and Z4?

Just a thought.
Let's hope that is the case. But can't say for sure, especially with how things are going.

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
A 7-10% projected (not measured in actual sales) take rate for a manual SUPRA does not seem like it would be based on accurate metrics.

I agree. Thatā€™s still enough of a projection to go ahead and offer manuals on both the 2.0T and 3.0T.

A manual low powered Corolla and manual average Tacoma are no longer vehicles one would expect people to have a high demand for, though I appreicate they are still sold. Especially that sporty looking Corolla hatch.

Shouldnā€™t Toyota have looked to the high manual take rate for the GT86 and BRZ as an indicator of where manual demand would be for their focused 2-seater 390hp(ish, actual) turbocharged sportscar?

I keep saying: right NOW is the window within which to offer a manual Supra. They need to do it now starting with model year 2021.

It simply will not be possible to offer it at some point but right now they can if they would just do it already.

Itā€™s not just any Toyota. Itā€™s their *Supra*. Why is it that I can buy a manual 2020 Corolla hatch with a 6-speed M/T and a 2020 GT86 with a 6-speed M/T.... but I cannot when I would pony up to pay WELL above the $50-$60k for a 2020 Supra that similarly isnā€™t a hybrid gas-electric?

It makes no sense. Itā€™s a flagship tuner sportscar, not a Camry.

I see Toyota doing all they can to maximize MY2020 sales and then follow through with a stick for 2021+.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
If the car was developed in house sure, but it wasn't, and that complicates things exponentially.

There are several factors here not present with the Tacoma and Corolla and for a 7-10% payoff on a 12k unit per year platform? Egh, tough sell right there. Speaking of which, Corolla manual will likely be gone next gen and Tacoma is questionable.

CSUfiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus GS400
One way to increase popularity of manuals in general...

IMO, it is on all stick shift drivers to teach their friends, family and colleagues how to drive a stick, and educate them about the pluses and minuses of driving a stick shift car.

Taught a long time colleague how to drive a stick this past spring. Stick shift wasnā€™t even an option in his family and the only people who knew how to drive it (grandparents) didnā€™t teach anyone else. He just bought a new Honda Fit as a commuter because of that,. and only 3 people (out of 40-50) that I work with know how to drive stick.

The interest and curiosity is there! Stick shift cars were common in the 1980ā€™s (and into the 90s) and we are at least a generation or two past that now. I feel like thereā€™s an entire generation that is totally unfamiliar with stick shift cars. Like no one that they know or associate with even knows how to drive one.

Teach it and show others! If we do it with those that we know, perhaps there can be a resurgence in interest for it.

Just my two cents though. Perhaps this situation is entirely specific to just the people around me. But thereā€™s nothing to lose to show others who are unfamiliar with it.

RRF985

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 BMW M550i, 2020 Supra Premium, 2015 991.1

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Oof... that Reddit post hits hard. ā€œFidget stickā€.... :/

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
One way to increase popularity of manuals in general...

IMO, it is on all stick shift drivers to teach their friends, family and colleagues how to drive a stick, and educate them about the pluses and minuses of driving a stick shift car.

Taught a long time colleague how to drive a stick this past spring. Stick shift wasnā€™t even an option in his family and the only people who knew how to drive it (grandparents) didnā€™t teach anyone else. He just bought a new Honda Fit as a commuter because of that,. and only 3 people (out of 40-50) that I work with know how to drive stick.

The interest and curiosity is there! Stick shift cars were common in the 1980ā€™s (and into the 90s) and we are at least a generation or two past that now. I feel like thereā€™s an entire generation that is totally unfamiliar with stick shift cars. Like no one that they know or associate with even knows how to drive one.

Teach it and show others! If we do it with those that we know, perhaps there can be a resurgence in interest for it.

Just my two cents though. Perhaps this situation is entirely specific to just the people around me. But thereā€™s nothing to lose to show others who are unfamiliar with it.
yep well just do what I did and buy a G27 + Oculus Rift + copy of Assetto Corsa/iRacing/City Car Driving that way your friends & family can learn without destroying real clutches and supercars before moving onto the real thing ^^

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^^ Very disappointing indeed. I expected better from Toyota's last pure gasoline-turbo non-hybrid electric sports car in the transmission option department.

This now makes an entire 2020+ BMW M2 Competition 6MT engine, transmission and ECU swap or a 2020+ M3/M4 6MT engine, transmission and ECU swap the only course of action to get a manual transmission Supra A90 in strict emission states like California.

A lot of totally unnecessary extra work on top of the MSRP + ADM price all because Toyota feels that there is not enough demand... in their flagship and iconic SUPRA.

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW X3 M40i, BMW M2 Comp, Ferrari 328
May as well just get the M2 Comp then. You'll be giving up looks and some niceties, and probably paying more, but you will gain sharper handling and a more playful feel so it's got some benefits.
Sponsored