• Other: Please state in thread

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
Do you think we will ever see a V8 FT-1? I have seen tons of Toyota enthusiast asking Toyota to use the 2UR-GSE for the production car. What do you think will happen? Will will the new CAFE standards be the end for V8s?

2015-Lexus-RC-F-engine.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

EMTer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW E36
I don't have any knowledge you guys don't have but I just feel like it will get a V or inline 6. V8's are a dying breed year-by-year as it is and the new Supra isn't due until 2016-2017 so I be surprised to see an 8 cylinder. The only way I see it getting a V8 is if Toyota figures they're just going to take the easy way and drop the RCF engine in and tune it for more performance.

OP
OP
gymratter

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
isnt this thing suppose to be larger than a 86? a good number of people have dropped these into those car without an problem.

now for weight? v6 TT and NA V8 are about the same in weight no? V6 is smaller but turbos, intercooler, and ect add weight.

divinesteer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyotas
isnt this thing suppose to be larger than a 86? a good number of people have dropped these into those car without an problem.

now for weight? v6 TT and NA V8 are about the same in weight no? V6 is smaller but turbos, intercooler, and ect add weight.
Agree on the weight issue, a twin turbo V6 and V8 will have negligible weight difference. Engine is a huge sticking point, I doubt the decision to go with 6 or 8 falls on 20-50 pounds or whatever the difference is.
I'd say it is more about what fits the image of the car and the cost of development.

For both I would say the V8 is just not an ideal choice.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
Agreed, turbo 6 vs na 8, weight difference would probably be pretty small. However I don't think this car is going to be naturally aspirated. But you never know.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Personally I wouldn't mind a V8 but would rather a v6/I6 TT.

I think they'll leave the V8 to the RCF and use a V8TT for the production Lexus LF-LC.

MATT

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'13 ACCORD
Agreed, turbo 6 vs na 8, weight difference would probably be pretty small. However I don't think this car is going to be naturally aspirated. But you never know.
I love NA engines but I think it'd have problems keeping up in the power department over time since other companies are all going FI. Plus even I gotta admit that FI makes it much easier to tune for more power. I just hope that if we get a turbo V6 it will rev pretty high (7500 RPM +).

FRS-Man

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hot Lava FR-S
The only reason we still see NA v8's in sports cars is pretty much to appease the american muscle car buying crowd. If they ever replaced it with a V6 like BMW did with the M3/M4, they would lose their minds.

Tunnel_D

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GTO
The only reason we still see NA v8's in sports cars is pretty much to appease the american muscle car buying crowd. If they ever replaced it with a V6 like BMW did with the M3/M4, they would lose their minds.
And the M3 guys were even up in arms about losing the V8 too, despite the e9x generation being the only one to ever have an 8 cyl. I wonder if the American muscle crowd cares more about the NA or the 8 Cyl part. Curious if they'd be ok with a turbo V8 for example.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
Euro V8s are a bit different than typical American V8s....although these days they are more similar. Traditionally most of the european sportscar v8s have been smaller displacement, higher revving, less torque. And they sell to a very non-american audience outside of America.

kamran

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
scion frs
When Porsche starts racing their turbos, I'll start taking turbo's seriously. GT3 is putting out almost 500Hp on six cylinders. And they are NA.

I've seen nothing but problems with turbo'd cars. Never even seen a TV challenge that the turbo didn't overheat, blow something or something.

There's a good reason why Corvettes and GT3's (excluding the 2014 models) have been reliable and bullet proof on the tracks or races.

S O B

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Euro V8s are a bit different than typical American V8s....although these days they are more similar. Traditionally most of the european sportscar v8s have been smaller displacement, higher revving, less torque. And they sell to a very non-american audience outside of America.
Also haven't seen any of the volume American V8 engines (Mustang, Challenger, Camaro) go forced induction while basically all the European ones have now. Interesting to see the different approaches.

fox body

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Pogo Stick
And the M3 guys were even up in arms about losing the V8 too, despite the e9x generation being the only one to ever have an 8 cyl. I wonder if the American muscle crowd cares more about the NA or the 8 Cyl part. Curious if they'd be ok with a turbo V8 for example.
I think it's just the big bad cross plane V8 they want and the accompanying sound. I started reading up on the GT350 and even then I see a lot of comments from mustang guys complaining about the flat plane engine sounding too "euro".

That's the reaction before they see it redlines past 8k ..

Stick that into a Supra? :drool:

Mr. M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FIT
I love NA engines but I think it'd have problems keeping up in the power department over time since other companies are all going FI. Plus even I gotta admit that FI makes it much easier to tune for more power. I just hope that if we get a turbo V6 it will rev pretty high (7500 RPM +).
7500+ RPM would be amazing. The 2JZ Supra was only 6800 redline with the limiter at 7200 RPM.
Sponsored